FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Does Anyone Access Their Email Via Oma?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For those of you with Outlook email clients accessing a Microsoft Exchange server (if this is Greek to you, stop now), have you ever tried accessing Outlook Mobile Access?

We're considering it at the office as an alternative method to accessing emails while VERY far away from our core network / Citrix access.

It's horribly insecure (unless you publish via HTTPS) and it's wonderfully plain.

Anyone with experience care to comment?
It's fine if you set up the proxy limiter to STUNNAH.
ANTHONYD,Dec 11 2006, 03:52 PM Wrote:It's fine if you set up the proxy limiter to STUNNAH.
[right][snapback]219644[/snapback][/right]

:rofl: :rofl:

I don't know why, but that almost made me launch hot chocolate. Thanks dood. :D
Is this through a mobile device or something?

We use our VPN card to check stuff out on the exchange server, so as long as I have a computer with internet I can reply/work on email all day long. Why not go this route? Secure & accesible.
We have VPN... well, 2 different VPNs actually. We have the "common" PPTP VPN tunnels for laptops that are configured for it, and we have Citrix SSL VPNs for using laptops directly from the road (native Outlook connectivity, as well as application publishing).

What this is is a lightweight HTML-based access suite that uses ASP pages with simple links to display text-rendered emails to the users. They access the website via their web-enabled phones and check their emails that way. It's Outlook Way Light Access, really. We're still researching it, and I have a colleague in Toronto and area who lives exclusively off Exchange and Active Directory consulting work... I'm just waiting to hear back from him.

In principal, it's great. The only thing you can't do outright is view email attachments. You're notified that they exist, but you'll need at least Outlook Web Access to view them. OMA's more of a "Do I have that important email? Oh yeah, there it is" tool.
I know our funders IT department is jonesing about it like mad, easier to maintain than the Outlook over Citrix kludge we're working with.

I'm willing to beta it, if only because Citrix is a mental program that belongs on the proverbial short bus <_<

NefCanuck
It's super-easy to use because it's super-useless. It's text and nothing else... with simple hyperlinks to navigate.

It's definitely not a replacement for Citrix. Just publish Office 2003 to the presentation servers if you don't want to mess around with the Citrix VPN and native Outlook client connectivity.
I'm pretty sure accessing anything from your mobile phone will be fairly secure.. if your accessing it via a WAP Access point gateway, then your IP is proxied via the cell network so you dont even have an external IP. If your accessing it via an Internet Accss Point gateway, then you have an external IP but you will need another layer of security such as a VPN tunnel or such.. But the first method, such as Wireless Application Protocal *WAP* should be just fine, I have used it like that in the past.
I'd be more concerned about NTLM authentication credentials interception via "classic" IP networking, but then that's already an issue with non-SSL OWA.

I'll finish deploying it tomorrow (it's intranet-only right now, just for testing via browsers) and see how it goes.