FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Fixing Gf's Focus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well story goes that I could not figure out what was wrong with my Gf's Focus, the car would have trouble starting when cold and would not idle until warm. So I took the car to ford and the list came up. They said they needed to change the fuel filter which I already have sitting at home, they need to service the fuel injectors and replace the IAC motor. For all this it was $600. Now my question is this, what really needs to be done. I looked in my haynes book and for cold starts they said fuel system and fuel filter. Does the IAC motor really have to be changed? The car idles fine when warm, I was guessing just a restricted fuel flow. I can find a set of brand new fuel injectors for $200, and change them myself and that sounds a lot better than $600 for cleaning old injectors. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I know ford has a habit of changing things not in need of change, i.e. my front springs for a worn cv joint.
IAC motor? or sensor? I know the IAC sensor goes on the focus, and yes it will f*** around with the idle fer sure.

I have fuel injectors...they have about 80k on em. never had a problem with em...sell them much cheaper than $200.

What about coil pack and wires? those good?
Just changed the wires and haven't checked the coil pack, what would I look for? How much do you want for the injectors? Where abouts are you located? Thanks for the help.
Oh and they said it was the Motor and not the Sensor.
how many km's on her car?

start with the fuel filter and go from there, since its the eaiest and cheapest
Shes got 70,000km, I have a shop I am going to since I don't have a garage and its not fun working under a car in all the snow we are now getting. I just wanted to change whatever I could at once, while I am in the shop. So fuel filter is on top of the list then injectors then...
so the car runs fine after it warms up though? no stumbling? does it feel slugish when you step on it? cause if the fuel filter is the problem, the car will "feel" slower aorund town

as for the coilpack, look for any cracks on teh base. also check the wires on the connector going into it. another thing to check would be the wires goign into the harness connected to the MAF sensor. those are things that will take 2 secs that you dont have to do in the garage.
wtf is the IAC motor lol.

ive only heard of the sensor
Yeah shes says the car bogs a lot while driving around I'll check on those things, thank you for the help. I have no idea what the IAC motor is either ford wrote it down, can't even find it in my book lol. (Pay us, we swear its a real part, PAY US) lol.
Mike Rudat,Dec 6 2006, 04:30 PM Wrote:Yeah shes says the car bogs a lot while driving around I'll check on those things, thank you for the help. I have no idea what the IAC motor is either ford wrote it down, can't even find it in my book lol. (Pay us, we swear its a real part, PAY US) lol.
[right][snapback]218906[/snapback][/right]

im gonna say the problem is the fuel filter then. the only way for injectors to be gummed up with that low km's is if she was continuously putting s***ty gas in the car
Well she does fill up at beaver!!! When I found out though I put a stop to that. We just bought the car last year with 55000k.
ya like, zx5 already said, check the wires going ot the coil pack. Mine were roasted :blink: Theres a how to with pics. ;)

could be a lot of things...dpfe, or O2 sensors...

Start with the small things of course

Im pretty sure they meant the IAC sensor. Idle Air control sensor or something like that :lol:

EDIT: heres the thread on the coil pack wiring...

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.p...opic=12957
In my past experience some car do have IAC motors. Not sure about the focus. But what it does is when the car is at idle and the TB butterfly is closed it is a little motor that allows air to bypass the TB to allow the car to idle. It is usually an electric servo that open and closes a small passage close to the TB.

It may just need a good cleaning. Buy a can of TB cleaner and get in there and hose it all out. Use the straw and get into all small passages. I would suggest doing this just after changing the fuel filter. Also if you feel it nessicary change the injectors. Do it all at the same time then reset the computer.

Using cheap fuel causes gum and varnish to build up on many components. even further up stream of the injectors.

Good luck with the repairs and let us all know how you make out.

Kevin
I would also check the spark plugs, and check (and double check) that the sparkplug wire boots are seated properly, and make sure they are seated properly on the coil pack too. Last time I changed the plugs in the Focus (This was around 120,000km's, and the 2nd time I changed them since I had the car), I didn't have the plugs or wires 100% seated and sealed for at least one of the cylinders, and the car can like a bag of crap...almost like it had 3 cylinders, and was slow as hell going down the road. I brought the car home, and went through and pulled and re-inserted each plug and wire in each cylinder going from left to right (when facing the engine bay). This solved the problem, and the car ran like a dream after this...made me happy that I spent the extra cash for Motorcraft Plugs, and FRPP9mm wires again, as the car felt VERY responsive.

I am going to look into doing this with the stang eventually too...run a C&L intake with an SCT tune, etc, and see if the car feels more "drive by wire" like it's supposed to be/have in the first place. Will also give me a boost in fuel economy, and of course, add 30+hp to the wheels. Bringing the car to over 300hp...

Anyways, back on topic...hope what I said about checking the wires and plugs helps with sorting out the car. BTW, when the car hits 80,000 (which it's almost at anyways), I'd reccomend replacing the plugs to Ford Motorcraft ones, and getting her some FRPP 9mm wires (they stand up to cold very well, and heat better than OEM)...the car will thank ya for it!
Well I got some FS wires for myself and gave her my old ones (which were still better than hers) and changed the plugs, the car did run better but still had trouble starting when cold. I am going to try a few things this weekend and see what works out. Its good if I can fix it for $30 (injectors from flofocus and fuel filter) rather than ford's $600.

Just want to say thanks to everyone and I'll let you know if all these things are gonna solve the problems.
try running some gas line anti freeze...its will clear up any moisture in the lines.... if any
Yeah I tried that too.
take the TPS out, clean it and try it. You might need a new one.

My wife had similar problems with hers while back I just took it out, cleaned it with electrical cleaner and re-installed it.

try it first before you go and spend money on parts. Took me about 15 min total and her car has been running fine since.

Your gf's car got only 70K's, the focus is suppose to last about 100K's without any maintenance :)
What year is it? My 02 has a 100,000km powertrain waranty. Look into that before spending any cash at the stealership.
in the future change her fuel filter every 20k(which ur already doing) and add injector cleaner every oil change
and yea as flo gave u that link for the coil pack i had the same problem with the same wire as on the pic in his thread so i had to pick a new harness at the junk yard and solder everything together
Pages: 1 2