FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Coil Pack Or Spark Wires?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am having issue with misfiring..

it happens when rains hard overnight and misfires the next day..

sounds like i got serious high cam..i have to keep it above 2k rpm but when engine gets normal temp, runs fine..

and this goes away completely and idles normal after 5~7 days..

i thought spark plugs gap was big, so i replaced aprk plugs and gapped at .050..
still same problem..

all i can think of is coil pack or spark plug wires..

anybody got oem coil pack and wires i can borrow to test or i can buy for cheap??
I don't have oem but If its easy to take the coil off I might be able to help. Check ur pm.
changing coilpack and wires are easy to do but the thing is i have to borrow for 2 weeks at least if oem coil pack and wires are the fix for the problem..so i can send msx90 to massive speed to get it replaced..

i guess i will have to look around to get oem stuff for cheap..
2 weeks might be tuff since the idea is to get the car out of my hair within two weeks but if I don't ill pull it off and you ran try it out for as long as you need.
I got one you can borrow off my engine I pulled off my wrecked wagon.. its the oem coil and oem wires that never gave me problems, rain snow sleet you name it it ran perfect all the time..

The pulled engine will sit on the hoist for a few weeks while I redo a bunch of things like replacing the solenoid for the lazy 2-3 shift, throw a thermostat in, replace some of the seals and clean it up
it will be eventually reinstalled in my Project/Doner wagon

I would offer the one off the Doner but I run it to keep the engine clean/move it in and out etc...
When Discovery Ford Collision soaked the engine compartment we had the same issues. They ended up replacing the plugs,wires and coil.
funny thing is i cut my hood open 4 years ago and never had this misfiring issue..

5 months ago, when i got massive coils + msd coilpack package from massive..

when push spark wires in, it should make some cracking-like-noise but this msd coilpack thing, it only helds by 2 clip per spark wire.. and i can take that off from coil pack really easy by lifting 1 clip..
this might be the reason not making good contact and moisture gets build up or something..

i picked up oem coil pack and wires and hope this solves problem..
ok here is an update..
it wasn't coil pack or wires..

i disconnected front o2 sensor and runs better..
but thing is..replaced o2 sensor 6 months ago..
O2 ahh I didn't see that coming. So does this mean you'll have sometime for the remote started soon ;) It's gonna get pretty cold anytime now. If you don't have time its ok i'll just get it done somewhere else I just need it done.
ZX3_2NV,Nov 2 2009, 08:53 AM Wrote:O2 ahh I didn't see that coming. So does this mean you'll have sometime for the remote started soon ;) It's gonna get pretty cold anytime now. If you don't have time its ok i'll just get it done somewhere else I just need it done.
[right][snapback]296674[/snapback][/right]

sorry about delay..
all my buddies and mechanics told me it is coil pack or wires for sure..

and it is not the problem..
i dosconnected o2 sensor and drive really good, no more jumpy idling and feels like i got power back..

i m gonna pull out sct chip and wait for engine code to show up..

and zx3_2nv, can you come to best buy sherway location on monday??
this is only time i work alone and nobody gives me s*** anything..
Yaa I can make it on Monday I finish work between 430-500 So depending on traffic I should be there around 530
that is cool, 5:30 pm at the baclk of best buy sherway, there will be 2 garage doors..
and we are talking about november 9th??
Will do, red Mk3 Golf.
cool, c u then
oh and update..

i put the front o2 sensor connector back, pulled out sct chip from ecu and sat overnight..
remote started car in the morning and waited and didn't misfire like i got a high cam..
and didn't shut the engine off..

idling was stable but i hear some low low low pop pop, could be that is way it is with svt exhaust setup but didn't have problem driving around..

and i m looking at sct chip and 1 pin looked like shorted or something..
gotta take pic when i get home and post it on focaljet under focussport forum..
Hmm thats why i was never crazy about actual chips. SCT has a online and phone support. Maybe you can ask them Tech Support If its something actually wrong with the chip.
got it from focussport..

and it is not worth to send it there, wait, and get it back..
in 5 month, i m doing manual swap, this chip will be useless anyway..

it is not fun to drive anymore without sct chip..
changed exhaust note, pulling isn't fun..
3rd pin from the right is questionable..
looks ran hot or shorted out..

[Image: IMG_5847.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5836.jpg]
konafocuswrc,Nov 5 2009, 11:40 PM Wrote:3rd pin from the right is questionable..
looks ran hot or shorted out..

[Image: IMG_5847.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5836.jpg]
[right][snapback]296915[/snapback][/right]

nah just a lousy solder job :) if you want send me the chip and I will see if the pins are actually shorted and reseat the pins :)

Ive been working on electronics for years XD thats not bad heres a reaaaaaaly bad job and im not even going to ATTEMPT to repair this its pure trash

this is straight from the factory that worked for 3 weeks then died, I opened it to THIS
[Image: Image2.jpg]