FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Attn Photography Gurus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive got a line on a Fuji s9100 for a very good price ($400+tax) and this is legit from a major retailer with warranty. To those of you into photography I understand that this camera isnt true SLR and I am looking to get into photography as a farily serious hobby (may be going to Africa next year). My question is would you consider this camera to be one that a new user (who is technically proficient and a fast learner) would be content with for a few years. I know my abilities will most likely never exceed the features of the camera. But is having the exchangeable lenses of an SLR so important? Also I know the 9100 doesnt feature image stabilization comparable to that of most SLR's but most of my shooting would be from a tripod at medium to closer range, so is this really necessary? ANy insight or advice you guys could offer would be beneficial as even though Ive ordered this camera, my hookup has given me options (EOS Rebel XT etc) although the savings will not be as substantial as with the Fuji. Thanks in advance to any replies!!

-Pat
well if you say most of your shots will be from medium to closer range, i dont see why it would be a problem.

One of the advantages of haveing SLR is to be able to change lenses, so obviously you will not have that option.
well i would sell ur fuji and buy a canon rebel xt, 8.5 mp and you can get a great price on one, or you can spen a little more and grab a canon rebel xti which is 12 mp i think. go to http://www.dpreview.com for more camera stuff, they have great reviews on almost every popular camera.
The Fuji S9000 series are awesome cameras for people just starting out. How ever I quickly out grew mine and is no match for my EOS 30D

As for Fuji camera many options you can set plus you can shoot is RAW mode to. Only reason I got rid of mine because now that I been taking my photography course I can't achieve the results I want due to the non removable lens. Plus I love the colours Canon camera's produce.

How ever the new Nikon D40 (only takes DX lens I believe :( ) is only running at $699 and the D50's dropped down to $799 with a lens. I'm sure you can find some sweet deals on a Rebel XT or used D50 witch I think would be a better choice then the Fuji.

Either way great camera to start with.
I love my D50. I had a good conversation at a friend's wedding with the photographer that was using the new Canon Rebel XTi. Both are good cameras (the D80 is the 10MP equiv. to the Canon Rebel XTi).

I've got the stock 18-55mm wide-angle lens and the Nikon 70-300mm lens (G series). Both take amazing pictures.
Don't give in to lens envy... ;) The 9100 should do you fine. You can buy thread on lenses for telephoto, macro and wide-angle, if you find you need more range in any of those areas. You can also add on a flash (if I remember correct) and other fun stuff.

For $400, you can't beat it. For the price of a DSLR, you'll be getting the 9100 and quite a few of the accessories. The 9100 is considered a serious prosumer, which can clash with some entry level DSLRs. Keep in mind though, the 9100 can do video, a DSLR cannot.

What are your plans for photography? Do you plan on turning it into a hobby or possible source of income, or is it going to be taking pictures of family, friends, car shows, etc.? There is no point buying into a lens system (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) to get the range of the 9100, to not do anything major with it. If you are going into a hobby style (like NOS) then go DSLR. But if it is for all around shooting, go with the 9100.

I went through the dilemma a few months ago. I figured for the body I wanted (D70s at the time) and the glass, and flash, I'd be well over $1500 for it, which was WAY over budget ($800). I bought the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 instead. I don't quite have the DSLR noise-less-ness, or the speed, but I have the video capability that I need being a new parent (shortly) and I still have a damn good lens (12x optical Leica-approved lens). Still plenty of resolution (6 megapixel) and rechargable lithium ion battery, all in a package about about 3/5's the size of a DSLR, and 1/3 the price.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com in the forums section to see what others have done with the 9100. You might be surprised the results others have had.

In the end, it comes down to this:

photography as hobby with spending real time learning and growing -> DSLR
photography for fun with family and friends -> 9100

Ryan
reldridge,Dec 4 2006, 10:44 PM Wrote:Don't give in to lens envy... ;) The 9100 should do you fine. You can buy thread on lenses for telephoto, macro and wide-angle, if you find you need more range in any of those areas. You can also add on a flash (if I remember correct) and other fun stuff.

For $400, you can't beat it. For the price of a DSLR, you'll be getting the 9100 and quite a few of the accessories. The 9100 is considered a serious prosumer, which can clash with some entry level DSLRs. Keep in mind though, the 9100 can do video, a DSLR cannot.

What are your plans for photography? Do you plan on turning it into a hobby or possible source of income, or is it going to be taking pictures of family, friends, car shows, etc.? There is no point buying into a lens system (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, etc.) to get the range of the 9100, to not do anything major with it. If you are going into a hobby style (like NOS) then go DSLR. But if it is for all around shooting, go with the 9100.

I went through the dilemma a few months ago. I figured for the body I wanted (D70s at the time) and the glass, and flash, I'd be well over $1500 for it, which was WAY over budget ($800). I bought the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 instead. I don't quite have the DSLR noise-less-ness, or the speed, but I have the video capability that I need being a new parent (shortly) and I still have a damn good lens (12x optical Leica-approved lens). Still plenty of resolution (6 megapixel) and rechargable lithium ion battery, all in a package about about 3/5's the size of a DSLR, and 1/3 the price.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com in the forums section to see what others have done with the 9100. You might be surprised the results others have had.

In the end, it comes down to this:

photography as hobby with spending real time learning and growing -> DSLR
photography for fun with family and friends -> 9100

Ryan
[right][snapback]218667[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for all the responses guys, I've seriously weighted my options (using your help, dpreview and some other resources) and I've decided to stick with the Fuji for the price. It suits my needs at the moment and the cost is right. If I outgrow this camera I should be able to flip it second hand without losing much/any money and then I can upgrade. All of my photography will be done for personal enjoyment, and as a novice Im certain I will not be limited by this camera. PLus I just finished downloading Photoshop CS2 so that combined with the s9100's ability to shoot raw means there is going to be a lot to get a handle on!!

Im picking it up 2morrow, and Im excited!!!

-Pat

ps. Ryan: I used to provide the entire town of Kemptville with their Pepsi! ** Reminisces of IceT's classic rap hit "Im Your Pusher"**
Good luck with the new camera man!
be sure to get all the updates with cs2 so it will support fuji's raw format