FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gta To Get Wrong Way Signs On Highways?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
saw this on Citynews.com

Quote:ccident Victim Pleads For Change
Thursday November 30, 2006

The day that changed April Sobisch's life forever began with a comforting degree of normalcy.

"I was just driving. It was a beautiful sunny day," recalls Sobisch.  Moments later, that normalcy, along with her body, would be shattered by a car going the wrong way on Highway 400 in Barrie.

April spent the next 100 days in hospital, but lived to tell the story.  Even more remarkably, her baby son, Owen, who was in the car at the time, escaped the devastating crash unharmed.

Now April is fighting to make the roads in Ontario safer, lobbying for a law that will put large Wrong Way signs on highways.

She notes that Nova Scotia and British Columbia both have the signs, and she believes having them erected here could help prevent future disasters. 

Her M.P.P. Jim Wilson raised the issue during a recent question period.

The government said it will look at the proposal, but nothing will happen before Christmas.

Sobisch believes it's worth the wait.

"It will help somebody and it will save somebody's life," she said.

In the last six months alone there have been 187 wrong-way accidents in the G.T.A.

what I find disturbing is the 187 wrong way accidents in the last 6 months.. you'd think someone would notice if they were going the wrong way... it's pretty obvious even without signs.
Agreed, I think something else is triggering the rash of wrong way accidents. I wonder if there's anything that ties these incidents together? I mean I refuse to accept that a bunch of people have suddenly gone stone stupid for no discernable reason, I mean it's not like the road signs have changed recently...

NefCanuck
Am I wrong, or aren't there already wrong way signs on most on/off ramps on 400-series and major highways?

If you're drunk, illiterate or elderly and infirm... chances are you missed the first signs / don't care and another set isn't going to do JACK.

Just my 2 cents.
take the old people off the road.........
If your dumb enough to go the wrong way onto a 400 series highway, a sign won't make a damn difference.
how the hell do they even get on the highway with all the traffic in Toronto, its almost impossible to go the RIGHT way let alone the wrong way
Just install road spikes. It would stop people going the wrong way or even backing up on ramps. You know what I am talking about, the ones you see in the movies used in parking lots to stop people going out the entrance. I am pretty sure 4 flat tires would stop 95% of the morons headed in the wrong direction.
Focus man, Focus.,Nov 30 2006, 11:47 PM Wrote:Just install road spikes.  It would stop people going the wrong way or even backing up on ramps.  You know what I am talking about, the ones you see in the movies used in parking lots to stop people going out the entrance.  I am pretty sure 4 flat tires would stop 95% of the morons headed in the wrong direction.
[right][snapback]218119[/snapback][/right]

yeah, i was thinking about that in the shower this morning, but wonder if there could be an issue with emergency vehicles and whatnot that need to go the wrong way to get to the emergency (tho I've invented a way in my head to get around that..)..
I've never seen anybody going the wrong way on a 400 series highway but I live close enough to Allen Rd. that I have seen a few people get on Allen going the wrong way.

Laterz :)
^--- I can actually see that happening.. the on/off ramps tend to lead to lights that traffic has to turn left to get to... which I've seen people nearly screw up a couple times.

I'm actually working at Allen Rd. and Lawrence... brutal area for traffic stupidity.
Putting Flats on vehicles from spike strips would create a new stationary object either in the ramp/road, or on the shoulder...which would cause even more accidents...

People have just become lazy/complacent behind the wheel these days, and going the wrong way on a road/highway is just one of many stupid things people have done. Then again, I've driven the wrong way on 1-way streets in Hamilton before, because I was pi***d off, and just went for it to get to the driveway I needed to...lol

Also, that reminds me, after driving the stang in snow today, and seeing many accidents that had happened minutes before I went by and people braking too late and other stuff, makes me think that maybe more people SHOULD drive RWD vehicles, so that they are forced to pay more attention to the driving, and drive properly. This is one of my pet peeves, is folks not adjusting driving to the conditions they find themselves in. There's no excuse (the snow came so suddenly I didn't realize how bad it was copout is just that, a copout). Also, driving with your lights off, or only with DRL's when it's SNOWING is stupid, and I have no sympathy for folks that get thundered into because the other vehicle couldn't see them.

FIX THE BLOOOY POTHOLES FIRST.

I think that money can goto way better uses.*Im driunk*