FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Throttle Body Problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I just installed my FC throttle body I got from a member from this site, and now I am having some problems. The install went over good but as soon as I started driving I noticed some problems. As soon as I put in the clutch or shift into neutral the rpms will hover a 2000rpm and slowly drop. The same will happen if I rev the car while sitting still. The car also idles at 900 (a little high me thinks). I tried resetting the computer twice and it is still throwing a CEL. I am going to get some WD-40 and check for leaks tomorrow.

Any help would be appreciated.
i had pretty much the same problem

try putting you're sensor on the TB into AUTO not for manual cars

as soon as i did that i had no problems (oh yea and when u do that reset your computer again)
hope this helps

Lubricate the linkages and springs on the TB, and get an aerosol of intake cleaner, and spray that into the TB while the car is running, and try to get someone to help you do this, to keep the engine running (it will try to stall with the cleaner being shot into it nonstop several times). After you've done this, ensure the correct alignment of the TPS (the most common problem with FC TB's), and change your oil and oil filter. Also, drive the car more than you normally would for a day, and it should go away altogether. Mine sometimes used to hang up like the way you are describing about once every 4-5 months. Keeping everything clean and lubricated solved that problem every time.

Hope this helps, and good luck...
Thanks for the replies I will try everything tomorrow
How long did you drive it after installing the new TB? Sometimes it takes a while for the ECU to relearn the new idle.

If it keeps hanging, acting up it and throwing CEL then it is most likely a vacuum leak.

Check the gasket, get or make a new one. Disconnect the battery for at least 5 minutes to clear the CEL. Reinstall it and let it idle for a while letting seek its new idle then drive it for at least half an hour.
Well I was taking it apart again checking everything over and I snapped the inside of the TPS. So now i'm not sure if its working properly and I can't find anyone that has it in right now. Does anyone know what this part does and what it controls.
the TPS?

it's the Throttle Position Sensor.. That tells the car how much the throttle is open, which is used in calculations ranging from idle control to telling the car when it should go into open loop/closed loop operation, and how to modify other operating parameters.

I just found a dealer with one in stock so I will see if I can get everthing running smooth. If not you'll hear from me, lol.
Well I put in the new TPS and I tried to put it in the Auto slot and it would not turn enough. So I put it in the 5spd slot which is what I have. The problem of the sticking rpms went away, but the car still hesitates and 2000rpm and will take a long time to get down to idle. Any ideas, guessing it could be the gasket and I am still having a CEL appear after resetting the battery.
worst comes to worst switch it back to the stock tb and see what happenes...trust me i've been there i had to put thing back and forth like 3 times
but yea try regular tb as well