FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Horse Vs Mustang V6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
ok, so back to the drawing table? :):):)
I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I've raced around a paved quarter-mile before.... I took the corners at ~ 45MPH... I don't think the horse kept that pace around it.
holy innacuracies... Clarkson says it has 300HP... but it's a v6 convertible.

I did not think a SPI could go that fast

J/k DAWG
It looked like the V6 Mustang and not the V8.
Wow, did they ever Bollocks that one up...it was a V6 Automatic Convertible...NOT the V8...and well, don't know how the horse beat the car for real, I think if he spent less time trying to force the car to drift, he would have gone faster.

Oh well, at least they have the video about the GT on there too...like that one...they hate the mechanicals, but can't help liking the car a lot...lol
DD1,Nov 28 2006, 09:52 PM Wrote:I did not think a SPI could go that fast

J/k DAWG
[right][snapback]217834[/snapback][/right]

I'll never know, I raced it in my "classic" 1990 Chev Eurosport Wagon with the 3.1L V6.

They've closed the track since. :D

EDIT - I'll doubly never know because as of Thursday at 5PM, the SPI is gonzo.
^^^^ Congrats on the new ride then :) Make sure you post pics!
How could he mistake the GT with the V6?! It looks like the V6 and sounds like the V6... is he reading from cue cards or something?! :lol:
Okay, accepting that the presenter goofed up on his stats there but man, were those tires under inflated or what? :blink: How in the hell could he be constantly making them howl like banshees around every freakin' corner like that? :ph34r: I thought his objective was to drive the course, not punish the car...

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 01:15 PM Wrote:Okay, accepting that the presenter goofed up on his stats there but man, were those tires under inflated or what? :blink:  How in the hell could he be constantly making them howl like banshees around every freakin' corner like that? :ph34r:  I thought his objective was to drive the course, not punish the car...

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]217890[/snapback][/right]

the v6 suffers from severe understeeritis. There's no rear anti roll bar, so it wallows in most turns.
darkpuppet,Nov 29 2006, 01:20 PM Wrote:the v6 suffers from severe understeeritis.  There's no rear anti roll bar, so it wallows in most turns.
[right][snapback]217904[/snapback][/right]

I take it you have plans to rectify that? I didn't notice the handling difference between our current car and the new one till I bent the new one around the Stockfish overpass at the same clip as the sedan.

I can't wait for the new car. :D
darkpuppet,Nov 29 2006, 01:20 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 01:15 PM Wrote:Okay, accepting that the presenter goofed up on his stats there but man, were those tires under inflated or what? :blink:  How in the hell could he be constantly making them howl like banshees around every freakin' corner like that? :ph34r:  I thought his objective was to drive the course, not punish the car...

NefCanuck

the v6 suffers from severe understeeritis. There's no rear anti roll bar, so it wallows in most turns.
[right][snapback]217904[/snapback][/right]

Ah, now it makes a bit more sense. I realize the V6 is a rather tamer pony than the GT but I didn't realize it had been that neutered...

Makes me almost afraid to drive anything else less adept at handling than the Focus now, the way I toss it around at times... I'm pretty sure I'd have broken the ass loose on my Olds pulling some of the things I do now with the Focus (The 50km/h right turn being the primary offender :ph34r: )

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 12:15 PM Wrote:Okay, accepting that the presenter goofed up on his stats there but man, were those tires under inflated or what? :blink:  How in the hell could he be constantly making them howl like banshees around every freakin' corner like that? :ph34r:  I thought his objective was to drive the course, not punish the car...

NefCanuck

Try driving your car at the limit and you will hear your tires squeal too! :lol:

I am not in the habit of making my tires sqeal during corning but I did notice with my winter tire setup that the tires can squeal with some spirited corning where my summer tire setup was as quiet as a mouse. Obviously my winters have a lower corning limit with its taller aspect tire sizing (45 series summer on 17s vs 60 series winter on 15s.)

Plus me thinks that the British were trying to poo poo the big bad American car by showing it in its worst light. <_<
^^ Agreed. Most cars on the road today (including the Focus) are designed to understeer at the limit. Methinks Vince is right, though... Jeremy was obviously ham-fisting it around the course. I've seen a nice new Mustang (non-GT) carve an onramp quickly without a hint of squeal.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 30 2006, 08:53 AM Wrote:^^ Agreed. Most cars on the road today (including the Focus) are designed to understeer at the limit. Methinks Vince is right, though... Jeremy was obviously ham-fisting it around the course. I've seen a nice new Mustang (non-GT) carve an onramp quickly without a hint of squeal.
[right][snapback]218025[/snapback][/right]

There's a particular 30KPH onramp to the 407 that my focus (with crappy all seasons) could take at 90 KPH quite easily... the stang with high performance summers feels like it's starting to push at 65.

Tho, I'm not really pushing it until I get it to a track or autoX to see what it's real limits are...
dBlast,Nov 30 2006, 06:19 AM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 12:15 PM Wrote:Okay, accepting that the presenter goofed up on his stats there but man, were those tires under inflated or what? :blink:  How in the hell could he be constantly making them howl like banshees around every freakin' corner like that? :ph34r:  I thought his objective was to drive the course, not punish the car...

NefCanuck

Try driving your car at the limit and you will hear your tires squeal too! :lol:

I am not in the habit of making my tires sqeal during corning but I did notice with my winter tire setup that the tires can squeal with some spirited corning where my summer tire setup was as quiet as a mouse. Obviously my winters have a lower corning limit with its taller aspect tire sizing (45 series summer on 17s vs 60 series winter on 15s.)

Plus me thinks that the British were trying to poo poo the big bad American car by showing it in its worst light. <_<
[right][snapback]218021[/snapback][/right]

There's nowhere around here that taxes the Focus that hard. I'd need to hit a track to really push it (I don't consider doing 130km/h on an onramp marked at 70km/h pushing it)

If this is related to tires, the P6's never bitched no matter what I did to 'em and so far the Nokian's haven't either. I'm sure they tested the Mustang with the stock A/S rubber, but is the stock rubber that bad? :blink:

I suppose the Brits were probably pissed that some of the Mustangs underpinnings are shared with the baby Jag but still :huh:

NefCanuck
What do you expect from a car that got a solid axle and a car with a mutli-link suspension? Yes you can upgrade the mustang handling but stock , the focus got the edge hands down.Also that guy didn't bash any focus in his reviews in terms of handling actually he got a focus in his garage B)

NefCanuck

Because stock V6's come equipped with 16" Rims with BF Goodrich Traction T/A's...which are absolute junk! I drove an 05 Coupe with the 4.0L and 5spd with those tires on it, and the car howled like that around every turn, under hard braking, or aggressive acceleration...I have no clue where "traction" was factored into the naming of that tire...lol

Mr Clarkson being an Avid Fordman, should have known that the folks off camera were using the wrong information...Also consider the fact that the GT will do over 140km's/hr in 3rd, and over 170 in 4th, and the V6 will do over 100 in 3rd, makes me wonder how they can call mustangs slow?
Pages: 1 2