FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Looking Into Fi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so, I read in another thread you can get the powerworks kit for $3300 from ZX3....my question is. My car is a DD, but I want to haul ass...I'm having trouble deciding between a supercharger kit (I'd only consider the PW kit, i've read lots of good things) or a junkyard turbo kit (i've been a Sport Compact Car fan for about 5 years)

With a j/y turbo kit, can you get a flange adapted to the stock manifold? or is there a better way? where is a good place to get an intercooler? (front mount I'd imagine...) and what kind of piping and hoses and such would you use for an intercooler? also, what kind of ECU work would you need? a piggyback? or an actual ecu tune?

help please? lol
Your best bet is to contact flofocus.

He's got a homo hardware turbo in his car.

There is also another kid on here as well with one. He's the guy with no paint!

lol
Do you have the tools required to fab your own stuff? Or a friend that can help you own with welding, etc? In the end after all is said and done you can probably put together a junkyard setup for a little over 1g by doing all your own work.

With this setup you still need to get a tune, dyno, fix misc unforseen problems, I would dare to say once your on the street running you may very well have spent 2g's or more.

The nice thing about a complete kit is it comes with everything, and you can bolt it up in a weekend without allot of hastle. I'd recommend the roush kit or powerworks kit, even the vf kit.

the PW kits are $3550cnd shipped plus tax.

a DIY turbo kit can work but you need to know what you are doing.
fit and finish of a DIY kit is never the level of quality of an off the shelf kit so i never compare the 2 in cost because they are infact not comparable.
i wont say all but most DIY kits are cobbled together, scab-welded and really are not a pretty setup.
obviously this is not an issue for all, not everyone cares about such things but this is usually a reason why people with $1000 diy kits went that route. they probably do not care about fit and finish like others are.

very rarely have i seen a DIY kit with nice tig welded seams on the tubing and DP. and those that do usually end up costing a lot more than $1000, more like $2500-4000usd.

tuning of course is extra and can also cost a lot as far as time and money are concerned to get it running right or at the level of the average off the shelf kit.

just remember you get what you pay for....