FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the market for a GPS and would like to get some opinions from anyone who's got one or experience with them. I've been seriously checking out the lineups from Garmin and Tom Tom. I'm looking for features like:

-touch screen
-voice commands
-expandable memory
-ability to save route(s) taken
-ability to save multiple destinations

Thanks for any info! :)
euro_zx5,Nov 27 2006, 10:59 PM Wrote:I'm in the market for a GPS and would like to get some opinions from anyone who's got one or experience with them. I've been seriously checking out the lineups from Garmin and Tom Tom. I'm looking for features like:

-touch screen
-voice commands
-expandable memory

Thanks for any info! :)
[right][snapback]217701[/snapback][/right]

I have a Nextar 2707. I picked it up at Canadian Tire for $449.00. I had looked at both the Garmin and Tom Tom products and used a friends Garmin...a 3 year old model, prior to buying.
I am very happy with the Nextar. For me it was the price and the large, 7 inch, touch screen that sold me. I have been using if for about four months and don't have a complaint. It has all of the features you list above with the exception of expandable memory. I am not sure why you would need that. It comes with 64mb of memory and a 40 gig hardrive. It also handles mp3's. It comes pre-loaded with full Canadian maps and two million Canadian Points of Interest. It also comes with the U.S. insterstate maps, but only the interstates. You can update it to include full U.S. maps and another two million POI's for $29.95. Also at CT.
Here is the url for their site.
http://www.nextar.com/frontend/proddetail....707&co=10000312
Good Luck,
Fader
hands down garmin sysyems are the cats meow!
[-touch screen
-voice commands
-expandable memory

You'll spend;$300.00-$400.00 base units/bells & all that!$600+

I originally puchased the Nextar from CT but it didn't have detailed maps of the USA. (*only base maps of the major highways only!)The thing is a "Be-Hemouth" the mount is substancial but I had to rest it on the dash because it bounced and wiggled so much the 7" screen was difficult to look at.
(* I think they now have that rectified - they also offer a smaller unit 3")

I returned it and purchased the totally sweet Magellan Road mate *300r.(Wal-Mart)
It comes with detailed map of Canada For $200.00 I spent through thier online sales upgraded the unit with an SD card loaded with Canada & USA on the one card.

* Discontinued May 2006, but Magellan still supports the unit.

I found the unit works very well, however when there are more than 3 merge lanes clustered together the slight lag time can mean missing that turn but the recalibration for route changes is sweet.

The problem of time lag can be reduced by their external antena, ($19.00)
I work at CT and they also say that the Nexstar is one of the best that we carry... but I was trying to get something more mainstream, and having a hdd is out of the question... I want something that may last me a few years and the risk of hdd failure is always there, flash drives are the way to go now a days, much more reliable. It seems that all the Magellan units I look at are way more than the competitors... but I have considered them too, lots of people at CT rave about them, it's just the prices that look a little scary.
try gpscentral.ca or gpscity.ca (in TO ........ btw)

Good prices and lots of selection ............ MY opinion is to look at the Garmin's. Good rep and been around the block for a long time.
When we finally get one, it'll be a Garmin for sure.
The Garmin Quest is what I use. The Quest's major advantage is that you can use it outside the car as a a portable GPS which is a godsend if your travelling by foot after finally finding a place to park :P

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:The Garmin Quest is what I use.  The Quest's major advantage is that you can use it outside the car as a a portable GPS which is a godsend if your travelling by foot after finally finding a place to park :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]217899[/snapback][/right]

Isn't that the one you got lost with? :huh: :P
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 29 2006, 02:09 PM Wrote:
NefCanuck,Nov 29 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:The Garmin Quest is what I use.  The Quest's major advantage is that you can use it outside the car as a a portable GPS which is a godsend if your travelling by foot after finally finding a place to park :P

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]217899[/snapback][/right]

Isn't that the one you got lost with? :huh: :P
[right][snapback]217916[/snapback][/right]

That was my fault for not following the directions it gave me properly (Yes folks I am that stupid :rolleyes: ) but its only ever happened once.

NefCanuck
The Garmin Nuvi's are very nice units. I borrowed a Nuvi 660 for a weekend from a friend of mine. Very nice interface and very fast to recalculate if you take a "non-programmed" turn or two. And small enough to take anywhere.

When I buy, it'll be a Nuvi.