FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Group Calls For The Return Of Photo Radar.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ontario group calls for photo radar to reduce fatalities at construction sites
November 22, 2006.

Toronto, Ontario - Representatives from road construction workers and construction companies have called on the Ontario government to approve the use of photo radar at construction work zones. The groups say that there have been almost 19,000 collisions at highway and road maintenance and construction zones in Ontario from 1997 to 2004, with a total of 5,872 people injured and 86 killed. Five of the fatalities were road construction workers.

"Too many people are getting hurt and killed at these sites because of speeding vehicles," says Robert Bradford, Executive Director of the Ontario Road Builders' Association (ORBA). "We need to enforce reduced speed limits in construction zones, and the best way to do that is to allow photo radar to be used at these specific locations."

According to the Ontario Transportation Minister's office, the provincial government is currently not considering photo radar. Recent amendments to the Highway Traffic Act doubled speeding fines in construction zones when workers are present, but the construction groups say that the effect of these higher fines on speeding has been minimal. In a recent survey conducted by ORBA, at a construction site on Highway 400 where the posted speed limit was 80 km/h, the group found that 83 per cent of all vehicles were exceeding the limit.

I normally do some research before responding to posts like this but I haven't this time.

But as usual the press only gives us a small part of the story. Here's what's missing IMO.

newspaper Wrote:The groups say that there have been almost 19,000 collisions at highway and road maintenance and construction zones in Ontario from 1997 to 2004, with a total of 5,872 people injured and 86 killed.
How does this compare to the normal rate of collisions and injuries in non-maintenance / construction zones? And even if the rate is higher, what other factors might contribute to collisions there such as damaged roads, debris - dirt - sand, distractions, unsafe construction practices etc, etc, ... so how is it that they are focusing on speed as the sole causal factor.

newspaper Wrote:Five of the fatalities were road construction workers.
This is obviously 5 too many, although on balance it seems the risk of death is far greater to vehicle occupants (81) than it is to road workers.

And also: I have personally witnessed dozens of incidents of road workers walking out into traffic (sometimes backwards!) without seeming to notice the cars going past - and no flags or traffic control in sight. Perhaps the photo radar money would be better spent on educating road workers on how to keep themselves safe.

newspaper Wrote:"Too many people are getting hurt and killed at these sites because of speeding vehicles," says Robert Bradford, Executive Director of the Ontario Road Builders' Association (ORBA). "We need to enforce reduced speed limits in construction zones, and the best way to do that is to allow photo radar to be used at these specific locations."
Although I am open minded about the role speed might play in the increased danger associated with construction zones, I'd like to see the proof that speed alone is the factor responsible for these death and injuries -- there could be a case to be made that a more holistic approach to roadside safety might be in order.

newspaper Wrote:Recent amendments to the Highway Traffic Act doubled speeding fines in construction zones when workers are present, but the construction groups say that the effect of these higher fines on speeding has been minimal.
They are right about this I believe ... enforcement is probably lax.

newspaper Wrote:In a recent survey conducted by ORBA, at a construction site on Highway 400 where the posted speed limit was 80 km/h, the group found that 83 per cent of all vehicles were exceeding the limit.
Although I have no reason to dispute this, I'd also like to know exactly how this was determined. And even if it is true ... vehicles travelling 81 kph in construction zones, although technically speeding, probably don't contribute greatly to any significant increase in danger.

Bottom line for me is this: most drivers I observe actually drive the speed that is safe for the conditions; often that is higher than the posted speed limit and occassionally it is lower. It's the dangerous and careless drivers that need to be taken off the roads and that applies to both construction zones and non-construction zones.
A construction lady in kelowna was killed last year by some idiot, speeding around at 5:00am.

I work on construction sites every day, unexpected things happen because there is a lot going on. The least people could do is slow down a damn bit.

Radar? good. Some just want to find any reason not to slow down, even if it's in their own interest.
Currently on the 416 between Kemptville and Ottawa they are doing some night maintenance (wtf?) on some clogged culverts. On my way tonight, I almost had 3 workers step out in front of me in the 100 meter stretch that was down to 1 lane. Sure, it was dusty, dark, etc... But how can you not notice a '98 Sable bearing down on you at 60km/h (posted speed limit was still 100km/h) with high beams on when you are in a lighted area?

I agree that a general education program is needed for drivers and workers, but speeding enforcement is simply pinning the blame on one group (the group that can be profitted from) and not the other.

Ryan

*editted to remove misinformation and 5:50 am confusion :)*
^^ I agree. A lot of these guys assume they're invulnerable once the cones / pylons are out in force. They're doing a lot of work on the TransCan between North Bay and Sudbury and more than once I've had to take the shoulder because some construction idiot started walking right out into oncoming traffic. They just assume you'll stop.

I guess I'll temper that with the fact that photo radar punishes the car, not the driver. I don't like that at all.
lol time to bring out the old plate covers again,,,,
so they cant read my plate #