FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 5th Gear Headed To The Crusher
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Long running British show “Fifth Gear” headed to the crusher
10/19/2009
Source:leftlanenews

It was nearly a decade ago that car enthusiasts around the world were shocked to see the BBC cut Top Gear from its lineup, and it was then that Fifth Gear was born. Fifth Gear was originally intended to be a no frills alternative to Top Gear – focused more on the delivery of automotive comparison and review.

Over the years Top Gear reasserted itself as the benchmark by which all automotive review television shows were to be measured. Great personalities from the likes of host personality Jeremy Clarkson, and his sidekicks James and Richard kept viewers coming back for laughs, entertainment, and the occasionally the actual review of the automobiles themselves.

By contrast, Fifth Gear stayed true to its roots as a no-nonsense show focused on truly testing and reviewing cars and sharing their findings with the audience. If you wanted to relax and be entertained, then Top Gear may be your calling. But if it is a straight-to-the-point, fact based comparison of automotive competitors you wanted, then Fifth Gear was the show for you.

Now, after a sixteen season run it appears as if Fifth Gear’s failure to reach the top thirty programs on the network may have finally sealed its fate. In reply to an e-mail from AUSmotive.com’s editor, Channel Five stated, “Five is proud of Fifth Gear’s contribution to the channel but after 16 series, feels it’s time to try something new.”

At this time there is no official word on whether or not the “new” program will feature either Jason Plato or Tiff Needell, both revered for their undeniable abilities behind the wheel.
Oh well... :iono:
5th gear is decently my favorite automotive show, the get to kick the s*** out of some of the most exotic cars out there.
It will be sadly missed.
Fifth gear was a great show too, but Tiff always got on my nerves... I dunno.

I like my Top Gear... that'll do for now I suppose.
tiff should just rejoin top gear
Spinal,Oct 20 2009, 07:12 PM Wrote:tiff should just rejoin top gear
[right][snapback]296262[/snapback][/right]

His and Jeremy's personalities would clash too much. He's too serious for Top Gear now.