FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 07 Focus Least Safe Cars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Here's a list of 2007's least-safe new cars, according to insurance industry data:

Ford Focus
Mazda3
Saturn Ion
Suzuki Aerio
Suzuki Forenza
Toyota Corolla
Chevrolet Cobalt

Quote:...Also on the roster: Chevrolet's Cobalt four-door, which does better with side airbags, but without them gets some "poor" crash-test ratings; Ford Motor's (F, news, msgs) snappy Focus four-door and Mazda's Mazda3 four-door, for which there are no IIHS crash-test ratings with side airbags; Saturn's Ion four-door, which has poor ratings with or without optional side airbags; and Suzuki Motor's Aerio and Forenza four-doors, which have standard airbags but still get poor side crash-test scores...

Well... side impact ratings need to be improved by a lot more mfr's than just that list. Corporately, all I see if Ford and General Motors, where's Daimler? Maybe their German background is keeping them going? :P
2.0duratecpower,Nov 18 2006, 07:30 PM Wrote:07 Focus
[right][snapback]216599[/snapback][/right]

I had a serious crash in my wife's brand-new 2001 ZTW - hit broadside by a pickup truck, slammed into a guard rail, over the guard rail and down a hill ... and written off. That car had no side air bags but the only injury I suffered was a burn on my wrist from the front air bag going off.

It's replacement however, and every subsequent car I've leased have all had side air bags - the Focus BTW was I believe the first car in it's class to offer them.

I'd like to see a more balanced testing protocol (ie: all with side air bags and/or all without) before I pass judgement on the relative safety of the Focus.
I trust Forbes for automotive advice about as much as I trust Consumer Reports to give me finacial advice. I'd much rather see what CR has to say considering they're in the business of testing cars and interpeting their data before I would worry about a freelance writer for Forbes has to say....

NefCanuck
Yeah, ANY type of car is always going to be a dissapointment or dangerous to one person, and then be "end-all & be-all" of cars to the next...

I wrote off my first Focus as well. I hit a parked police car on Bay St. downtown doing roughly 65-75km (I learned my lesson) and the only injuries I had were two very sore thumbs, two very sore knees(from the dash) and on heck of a mark on my left shoulder down across my chest to my right side from the seat belt. IMO I think it the safest car I've ever had. To each his own I guess.