FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Clicking At Low Speeds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, i've noticed an odd clicking in my engine at low speeds, once i hit about 60 or 70km the sound goes away completely, i was wondering if it could maybe be a busted engine mount causing the noise?

I took the car into the dealership when i first got it because it was making the noise, and my DPFE was cooked and i had them fix it, but they didn't seem to fix the clicking, and i don't want to take it back to my dealership because their morons.

So any ideas on what my problem could be would be of great help.

Thanks
FP
Really Dumb But a Rock in the tire threads?
Driving straight, turning or at all times?
Maybe a skrew in your tread?
Check you lug nuts, make sure they're all tight.

No its, nothing in the tread or about my tires, its happens while going straight or turning doesn't matter direction just always at low speeds.

It sounds like its coming from the engine area as i'm driving. The lug nuts are tight. So i'm clueless as to what it could be.
focuspilot23,Nov 18 2006, 08:09 PM Wrote:No its, nothing in the tread or about my tires, its happens while going straight or turning doesn't matter direction just always at low speeds.

It sounds like its coming from the engine area as i'm driving. The lug nuts are tight. So i'm clueless as to what it could be.
[right][snapback]216603[/snapback][/right]

Tight, or properly torqued?
trust me it isn't the tires, its the motor, it'll make the noise if i'm in Park and i rev it. Even when I ease on the gas and the engine starts reving before the tires have a chance to spin you hear it.
Check the Front plastic flap right behind the bumper, Could be Hanging and tapping againced something.
Another silly question. Checked the oil lately? Had to ask.
Low oil causes ticking.

Really low oil........tick, tick, tick, BOOM!
Ya i've recently checked the oil, although i'm over due for an oil change, the tank is still full.

I'll will check under the front bumper and see if anything is hanging down, Thanks
How many kms on the car? Could be lifter/rocker tap. It's an SPI, right?

Ryan
does the clicking speed up along with the rpm's?
Ya the clicking does going along with rpms, untill a certain point anyway, than like i said it quiets down after 60km an hour or so.

I've got 56,000km on my car and its a SE
focuspilot23,Nov 20 2006, 09:48 PM Wrote:I've got 56,000km on my car and its a SE
[right][snapback]216836[/snapback][/right]

By SPI, I mean which motor do you have?

This one? This is the SPI.

[Image: EngineSPI.jpg]

Or this one? This is a Zetec.

[Image: EngineZetec.jpg]

Maybe I should just walk over a take a listen some night... :lol:

Ryan
I had something similar to that when I was arounf 10k and at 15k it stopped. The dealer looked numerous times for it but it wasn't consistent enough to diagnose properly. Mine was usually at idle and if I put my clutch in it would stop or if I raised the rpm's it would stop. The problem never was diagnosed but it eventually just went away.
focusracer,Nov 21 2006, 02:46 PM Wrote:I had something similar to that when I was arounf 10k and at 15k it stopped. The dealer looked numerous times for it but it wasn't consistent enough to diagnose properly. Mine was usually at idle and if I put my clutch in it would stop or if I raised the rpm's it would stop. The problem never was diagnosed but it eventually just went away.
[right][snapback]216900[/snapback][/right]

thats gear rollover noise. Common with our cars.
I guess i have the SPI lol, i told my dealership about it once, but i don't think they actually looked at it, which wouldn't suprise me much.

I've just got two more question, do you guys smell gas when you start your cars on cold days? like in the car? it doesn't last long but its there. And the last one is does your gas mileage get really crappy in the winter?

Thanks
When you have the hood up, does the noise sound like it's coming from the valve cover? (the silver thing with 2.0L Split Port Injection on it, just incase :) ) If so, chances are it is lifter tick, and it is pretty normal. You can get some additives that will make it lessen (any Upper Valve lube from Canadian Tire that you add to the oil ie. Wynn's, Bardahl, etc.).

Smelling gas? That's a weird one. I'd maybe have a mechanic take a look at that. Could just be running REALLY rich on start up, but it could be something more major. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Gas mileage gets worse in the winter, for sure. Fuel resellers add ethanol and other additives to stop the gas from freezing (Petro Can adds gas line antifreeze, or Tactrol in marketing speak :D). All these additives work as filler, and don't do anything for fuel consumption. They get burnt off in the process, but don't give much power (less BTU's from the fuel due to additives, causing more fuel to be used to give the same energy). Ethanol has been proven to give worse mileage (up to 20%, depending upon concentration in the fuel), and it can even be seen in additions of only 10% (think MacEwan's or Sunoco gasoline). On the upside, you don't have to buy gas line antifreeze as much anymore. :D

Ryan
It only smells like gas when its really cold out, like in the summer i never smelt a thing...i think its just that the it uses a lot of gas to start the motor when its cold? does that make sense?

And i have no idea when the fuel filter was changed lol, i bought the car in May and i haven't changed it so who knows when it was done if ever lol..

Well thats good to know about gas...so i'll be spending even more on it lol, you know for a little car with a little engine it burns a whole lot of gas. My room mate has a saturn and he gets WAY better gas mileage than me, and my engine is only a little bigger. Gotta say i'm a little disappointed with the gas mileage. Oh well so is life lol.