FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Painting My New Skirts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently got my hands on a skirt package by WingsWest W-Typ. If anyone has seen my car they know I like the "flat black" look against the Infra-red of my ZTS. I know I want to paint these skirts flat black, but I also have another idea. Rhino cover. I know it might sound pretty tacky, but I think this is what Im going to do. What should I do? Feel free to state your opinions/advice. Thanks.

Darryl
WTF is Rhino Cover?!? Your not talking the camoflauged look are you?
Rhino cover is what's used in truck bed linings and has become popular as a frame cover aswell.

I'm not sure about the look on a focus. On a truck I think it would look good.
just on the bottom lip, and side skirts, lol.
Well, that would certainly avoid/lessen the problem of rock chips...

Is black the only colour that stuff comes in? :unsure:

NefCanuck
You can buy stuff like that made by 3M, and can buy it from UAP/Napa. It's NOT rubberized undercoating....it's an actual rocker aerosol. It comes in a tanish/creamy colour that you would have to paint over. My first car had it's orignal rockers rot out, and we rebuilt them with fiberglass and steel, and then we ended up using self-etching primer, followed by the rocker aerosol, and then painted them flat black. They looked OEM when finished, and yeah, stones bounced off them instead of chipping them.

I think this is the same process you wanna do to your car, if you are adimate about having the 2-tone again.

Hope this idea helps.
that sounds like a good idea too. I've never had the two tone on my car, this is why Im alittle nervous.
shouldn't be too difficult to picture as I have more or less the same thing your going for on your car in yellow. and the street editions did come in the same red as your focus.
i'd say just go with black.....i've seen your car in person and i think red and black is good choice
I'd have to guess it would turn out fairly terrible. That stuff may look okay on an off-road type vehicle, but on a compact car it would not look good at all. I know if I saw a focus with bed-liner sprayed on any body panels I would probably laugh at it..
guilty,Nov 15 2006, 04:47 PM Wrote:I'd have to guess it would turn out fairly terrible.  That stuff may look okay on an off-road type vehicle, but on a compact car it would not look good at all.  I know if I saw a focus with bed-liner sprayed on any body panels I would probably laugh at it..
[right][snapback]216111[/snapback][/right]
ding ding ding..........the truth may hurt but this answer is 100% correct.

Don't do it.
Alright...doea anyone know any good painters? and how much do you think it'll run me?
I just realized after reading your initial post AGAIN, that they are the WW W-Type...

DON'T PAINT THEM FLAT BLACK!!!!

They will look dumb!

I'm not trying to be mean, but a friend of mine on the base has a 2000 ZX3 with the complete W-Type kit, and it looks wayyyy better colourmatched....

In answer to your question, a GOOD bodyshop should be able to swap and paint those side skirts for $400-$500. Thats about what I paid to have my stockers swapped to Focus RS ones....
Drivesthebeast,Nov 17 2006, 03:04 PM Wrote:I just realized after reading your initial post AGAIN, that they are the WW W-Type...

DON'T PAINT THEM FLAT BLACK!!!! 

They will look dumb!

I'm not trying to be mean, but a friend of mine on the base has a 2000 ZX3 with the complete W-Type kit, and it looks wayyyy better colourmatched....

In answer to your question, a GOOD bodyshop should be able to swap and paint those side skirts for $400-$500.  Thats about what I paid to have my stockers swapped to Focus RS ones....
[right][snapback]216467[/snapback][/right]

dang! isn't that a lil too much for just painting skirts and lip?
Well, if anyone knows a GOOD shop then I'm listening. I want to try and get these done before the first week of January...going to St.Jean Que. to start my military career and will be gone for quite awhile. Thanks.
Hello?!?!??!?!?!? How come everyone knows of a good shop to take cars to untill we actually have to take'em?.....and silence.
I took my tails to a place called the Auto Dentist in hamilton to have them painted early this year. Would seem to be a lil bit far for you tho if you live in georgetown.
i know a good guy who deals with all this body work.....he did my door....good prices too
he's down here in Kitchener
if you want i'll ask him
is it 2 skirts, front lip and back lip?
yes Nik for sure!!!! Ask him about the colour matching too. (02 Infra-red) Let me know...Peace!

Darryl
this thread is worthless without pics :) :) :)
Pages: 1 2