FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got Nailed, I Guess I Was Due For It.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I got nailed doing 78 in a 50, cop was nice enough to drop it to 15. Now is it worth it to fight this thing, or should I just pay the $58 and be done with it.

He said there are no points or anything, but will my insurance go up?

hardk0re,Oct 16 2009, 01:18 PM Wrote:So I got nailed doing 78 in a 50, cop was nice enough to drop it to 15.  Now is it worth it to fight this thing, or should I just pay the $58 and be done with it.

[right][snapback]296157[/snapback][/right]

I think you get one ticket without penalty.

pay the coin and get it done.
If he shows up to court, it may make it awkward.... He already did you a favor dropping it down.
hardk0re,Oct 16 2009, 12:18 PM Wrote:So I got nailed doing 78 in a 50, cop was nice enough to drop it to 15.  Now is it worth it to fight this thing, or should I just pay the $58 and be done with it.

Fighting it after getting a deal could result in the Crown going after you for the whole thing (It has happened before)

As to whether it will affect your rates, that relates to whether your company has surcharges for minor convictions or not (If they do it's usually 5 - 10%)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Oct 16 2009, 02:48 PM Wrote:
hardk0re,Oct 16 2009, 12:18 PM Wrote:So I got nailed doing 78 in a 50, cop was nice enough to drop it to 15.  Now is it worth it to fight this thing, or should I just pay the $58 and be done with it.

Fighting it after getting a deal could result in the Crown going after you for the whole thing (It has happened before)

As to whether it will affect your rates, that relates to whether your company has surcharges for minor convictions or not (If they do it's usually 5 - 10%)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]296162[/snapback][/right]

Hmmmm ... not sure how that could work unless the cop actually put it in his notes that he charged him for less than he could have (not very likely IMHO) ... in any event, you should really double check and make sure that your insurance rates won't go up as a result of this ticket (depends on when your last ticket was - IIRC they stay on your record for a minimum of 3 years) ... I know it's more money but I'd seriously consider using one of those ex-copper type companies.
F'ing speeders. :rolleyes: :P :D
My insurance went up with only a 15km over ticket. Mine went up $25 a month from $105 to $130.
Fight every ticket you ever get. Even if they drop it. The Cop will either; Die, loss the papers or not show up.
OPP have to show up
Regional have an option
ZTWsquared,Oct 16 2009, 02:53 PM Wrote:Hmmmm ... not sure how that could work unless the cop actually put it in his notes that he charged him for less than he could have (not very likely IMHO) ... in any event, you should really double check and make sure that your insurance rates won't go up as a result of this ticket (depends on when your last ticket was - IIRC they stay on your record for a minimum of 3 years) ... I know it's more money but I'd seriously consider using one of those ex-copper type companies.
[right][snapback]296163[/snapback][/right]

I know (that in the GTA at least), you can go have a chat with the prosecutor -- you can give them an account of your otherwise pristine driving record and work to have the ticket dropped.

Paying x-copper to do it is a bit superfluous IMO.
I fought my faliure to provide valid insurance and driving under medical suspension. I totally forgot the court date and I guess the cop did too. Both were dropped. Win for me. :P
From what I read before a cop always writes down your actual speed that he got you with and the guys in court do have a power to bump that lower speed to your actual 78km/h. So that's what you could be fighting.
I got this from somebodys actual case that happened before. So that's something to consider mate.
Good luck.
I'm thinking the $58 isn't that bad a deal then, I guess given the hastle of court etc.
don't forget but also if you go into pay this they will add a very stupid Victom surcharge onto your bill, it ranges greatly depending on which region you live in from $10 - $40+ depending on the fine / charge.
hardk0re,Oct 17 2009, 08:19 AM Wrote:I'm thinking the $58 isn't that bad a deal then, I guess given the hastle of court etc.
[right][snapback]296196[/snapback][/right]

yeah, my last speeding ticket was $320... 58 ain't bad...
points don't affect insurance rates going up. its convictions that do. The more tickets you get, even if there are no points, the more it will affect your rates. but if you fight it and get it dropped, it helps because it wont count as a conviction.
NikiterZTS,Oct 17 2009, 01:55 AM Wrote:From what I read before a cop always writes down your actual speed that he got you with and the guys in court do have a power to bump that lower speed to your actual 78km/h. So that's what you could be fighting.
I got this from somebodys actual case that happened before. So that's something to consider mate.
Good luck.
[right][snapback]296194[/snapback][/right]

Yep, my friend is a Halton cop out of the Bronte Rd. station. If you try fighting the lower speed ticket, the crown, with the cops urging will go after you for the higher amount.
She mentioned one where the person should have been charged with careless but was given failure to yield. The guy had the nerve to try and fight it and was convicted of careless with 6 points.
Things could be worse, I got nailed on the weekend by a New York State Trooper doing 81mph in a 55mph zone.

Tabernac
2001 ZTS,Oct 20 2009, 09:43 AM Wrote:Things could be worse, I got nailed on the weekend by a New York State Trooper doing 81mph in a 55mph zone.

Tabernac
[right][snapback]296240[/snapback][/right]

Tabernac? 81 in a 55 in NYS?

You're lucky the trooper didn't make you "Mange Le Merde" in a local jail cell :ph34r:

NefCanuck
My first ticket was the same thing. The exact same thing. a 78 in a 50. I fought it, requested a french trial and they never had a translator show up so it got dismissed.

On Thanksgiving I got nailed at 128 in a 100 on the 400. Cop was nice and brought it down to 15 over, was a 52.50 dollar charge. I just paid it.
I thought your insurance didn't go up if you didn't get any points?
Your insurance company see all and knows all and has your licence by the balls. Treat them well and never miss a payment or good luck getting another company lol
Scorcher000,Oct 20 2009, 02:28 PM Wrote:Your insurance company see all and knows all and has your licence by the balls. Treat them well and never miss a payment or good luck getting another company lol
[right][snapback]296248[/snapback][/right]

.........or just put on the pre-autharised withdrawel at your bank accout or credit card (in my case)

:$
Pages: 1 2