FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Bill Clinton In Kelowna Talk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I went to see Bill Clinton talk at Prospera place on Friday night. Me and the woman got the cheap seats ($80 each :blink: some were upwards of $200) thinking that it was going to be on Canada / US relations.

Very little was actually spent on relations between the two countries, and most of it was on making the world a fair, better, "inter-dependent" place. He talked about how everyone can make a difference, but only managed to produce examples of how people with hundreds of thousands of dollars could make a difference.

"I would like to move from inter-dependence to a set of integrated communities locally, nationally and globally, where we could guarantee a decent standard of living for all people on earth, and do it in a way that will preserve, not destroy our eco-system."

All in all, I felt that the event missed its mark on two counts.

First, Canada / US relations, was barely scratched by a Q&A period hosted by Kelly Hrudey (hockey night in Canada) and responses were long-winded. I think three questions in total were covered: Borders, the need of future water resources and Afghanistan. "I think that a relationship is good if you can count disagreements on only one hand". He brushed off softwood lumber on "calculation differences".

Second, the entire speech seemed like a plug for his organization. While I agree with what they are doing, I didn't shell out money so that he could ask me for more money. They are doing some good work though.

He wanted to make sure everyone could ask themselves 4 questions, and be able to answer themselves.

Question 1. What is the fundamental nature of the 21st century world?
Question 2. How would you like to change it when you leave it to your children and grandchildren?
Question 3. What do you have to do to make the transformation?
Question 4. Who is supposed to do it?

*sigh* waste of money.
Question 1. What is the fundamental nature of the 21st century world?
Greed
Question 2. How would you like to change it when you leave it to your children and grandchildren?
Get back to the simpler times of say the 1920's. When you didn't have to be afraid to spank your kid to keep them in line. And when men were men and your word and your honour meant everything.
Question 3. What do you have to do to make the transformation?
I'm already there. It's everyone else that needs to see things my way. That's why I shhot from the hip and tell it like it is.
Question 4. Who is supposed to do it?
Not me. I'm busy.

Sounds like a 'bulls***' speech, just embellished thoughts, nothing more for the most part.......

I was 'thinking' about seeing his show/event when he was here in my city a while back but decided against it...... looks like I made a good decision.