FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wrapped Header
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i want to wrap my header so i bought the wrapping stuff already(not cheap at all)

but im confused which way i should really do it.....now i heard some people put the rappin "stuff" in the warm water first and then put it on the header and clamp it

but then other people just rap it on the header the way it is...

i want to do it right

any advise?
Make a song about it, or wrap it? :lol: I'm just buggin' ya man!

Couldn't yet find any info on any specific way to wrap the headers, but I did find this website which seems pretty informative.
When you do get instructions, make another how to!! :D
euro_zx5,Nov 10 2006, 04:32 PM Wrote:Make a song about it, or wrap it? :lol: I'm just buggin' ya man!

Couldn't yet find any info on any specific way to wrap the headers, but I did find this website which seems pretty informative.
[right][snapback]215454[/snapback][/right]

i donno,,,,but for some reason i don't really believe that articl
I had an 85 F150 with a 300ci in-line 6 bored 60 over with a steel straight cut gear drive and Mac headers. I was getting a lot of heat into my starter and it was so bad my truck wouldn't start after a short drive. I bought a header wrap kit and was going to do the headers. Yes there were 2 headers, 1 for the front 3 cylinders and the other for the back 3. But after hearing stories about header failures and gasket replacement problems I decided againts wrapping them. So I wrapped the starter instead and bought a 1000cca battery. Problem solved.
sos did you have a in line 6, or a v6?
PerfectSaiyan,Nov 11 2006, 05:21 AM Wrote:sos did you have a in line 6, or a v6?
[right][snapback]215512[/snapback][/right]

read, it was an Inline 6.
I thought inline 6's were like a straight six.

6 cylinders in a row, because you say inline, and then say 3 in the front, 3 in the back, indicating a V?
PerfectSaiyan,Nov 11 2006, 12:24 AM Wrote:I thought inline 6's were like a straight six.

6 cylinders in a row, because you say inline, and then say 3 in the front, 3 in the back, indicating a V?
[right][snapback]215516[/snapback][/right]

It's a inline 6 oriented for rear wheel drive, so it faces front-to-back in the truck.
Well here is a photo of a 300ci inline/straight 6(not mine). Same idea though. You can see the starter behind the rear header.

[Image: SEMA011.jpg]
so what do u guys say? should i do it? by looking at it those headers would get hot pretty good and all that heat right into my Volant intake
I really noticed physically the heat off the headers was allot less after I wrapped mine. Everybody will comment about how it may corrode your headers quicker than usual, I haven't noticed any problems with mine yet (2 years now).

All I did was wrap each run from top as far as I could down clamped them at both ends then wrapped them all as a bunch all the way down and clamped at the end. I used the cheap SS worm gear clamps that you can buy at Crappy tire. Just make sure they are SS and you won't have any issues with cross looking rusty clamps.

hardk0re,Nov 11 2006, 09:38 AM Wrote:I really noticed physically the heat off the headers was allot less after I wrapped mine.  Everybody will comment about how it may corrode your headers quicker than usual, I haven't noticed any problems with mine yet (2 years now).

All I did was wrap each run from top as far as I could down clamped them at both ends then wrapped them all as a bunch all the way down and clamped at the end.  I used the cheap SS worm gear clamps that you can buy at Crappy tire.  Just make sure they are SS and you won't have any issues with cross looking rusty clamps.
[right][snapback]215539[/snapback][/right]
i bought some from crappy tire like 10 mins ago it says zinc plated steel
NikiterZTS,Nov 11 2006, 11:09 AM Wrote:
hardk0re,Nov 11 2006, 09:38 AM Wrote:I really noticed physically the heat off the headers was allot less after I wrapped mine.  Everybody will comment about how it may corrode your headers quicker than usual, I haven't noticed any problems with mine yet (2 years now).

All I did was wrap each run from top as far as I could down clamped them at both ends then wrapped them all as a bunch all the way down and clamped at the end.  I used the cheap SS worm gear clamps that you can buy at Crappy tire.  Just make sure they are SS and you won't have any issues with cross looking rusty clamps.
[right][snapback]215539[/snapback][/right]
i bought some from crappy tire like 10 mins ago it says zinc plated steel
[right][snapback]215546[/snapback][/right]

Those only resist rust, they won't last like the stainless ones will.

02SVTSEDAN

Focus man, Focus.,Nov 10 2006, 08:51 PM Wrote:I had an 85 F150 with a 300ci in-line 6 bored 60 over with a steel straight cut gear drive and Mac headers.  I was getting a lot of heat into my starter and it was so bad my truck wouldn't start after a short drive.  I bought a header wrap kit and was going to do the headers.  Yes there were 2 headers, 1 for the front 3 cylinders and the other for the back 3.  But after hearing stories about header failures and gasket replacement problems I decided againts wrapping them.  So I wrapped the starter instead and bought a 1000cca battery.  Problem solved.
[right][snapback]215500[/snapback][/right]

GOOD call man thats what I would have done!
Cheers, :beer:
anyways, so install went pretty good......me and my buddy took our time....6 hours lol.........alot of rusty nuts and bolts.....but i love the out come result...great gains.....if u guys r lookin for some kind of a power out of this car def get a full exhaust....
will post pics tomorrow
how much length did you need to wrap the header.... and........ pics?
PerfectSaiyan,Nov 15 2006, 11:51 PM Wrote:how much length did you need to wrap the header....  and........ pics?
[right][snapback]216226[/snapback][/right]

check into "How to"
i posted the install pics there and everything

i "think" it was 50 feet dude
but check that install