FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 10 Worst Automobiles Today (twat)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
TWAT AWARDS

Quote:The polls are closed. We’ve tallied and rank-ordered the votes. You, TTAC’s ever faithful and always vocal readers, have selected the Ten Worst Automobiles Today (TWAT) from all the vehicles for sale in the US during calendar year 2006. If you missed the festivities, you can click on “Editorials” at the top of this page, then on “TWAT” on the left side of the screen to see the previous posts and comments on the subject. Some of the votes were pretty close (only 35 votes separated the 10th place winner from the first runner-up at number 11), while others ran away from the pack from the very beginning. OK… I know what’s good for me, so I’ll shut up and tell you who won. Here they are, starting with 10th place and counting down to number one, the winners of the 2006 TTAC Ten Worst Automobiles Today awards:
Nice, we didnt make the list.
Nice list... I totally agree with car number one! Disgusting model! I do like the fact that many of the people chatting below, are discussing (mostly good comments) about the Focus.
lol, i disagree with #1... I drove one when my family was moving to brantford... 3000km in 2 days... 15 trips. no problems...

it was comfortable... I'd actually take it over a freestar.
scoobasteve,Nov 10 2006, 05:00 PM Wrote:lol, i disagree with #1... I drove one when my family was moving to brantford... 3000km in 2 days... 15 trips. no problems...

[right][snapback]215461[/snapback][/right]

Even though it looks like a not so well thought out spaceship?

I still like the Caravan and Freestar design best.
euro_zx5,Nov 10 2006, 05:04 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Nov 10 2006, 05:00 PM Wrote:lol, i disagree with #1... I drove one when my family was moving to brantford... 3000km in 2 days... 15 trips. no problems...

[right][snapback]215462[/snapback][/right]

They look like s*** on the outside, i;ll give you that... but the interior, is decent. I completley forgot i was driving a GM :lol:

I find the Freestar uncomfortable to drive because of the cheap seats they put in them. No back support.
If you upgrade to the better seats (leather) they are much better.
Seconded about the Aveo. I had one in Reno last week... that was NO FUN. I mean, I hadn't been in one and was expecting at least SPI levels of performance. The SPI could have walked it. In reverse, no less. And bone-stock.

I actually had the guts to take it out on the 395 Freeway in Reno. When I got back to the office, I felt as though there should have been a medal ceremony or something. :ph34r: :lol:
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 10 2006, 06:34 PM Wrote:Seconded about the Aveo. I had one in Reno last week... that was NO FUN. I mean, I hadn't been in one and was expecting at least SPI levels of performance. The SPI could have walked it. In reverse, no less. And bone-stock.

I actually had the guts to take it out on the 395 Freeway in Reno. When I got back to the office, I felt as though there should have been a medal ceremony or something. :ph34r: :lol:
[right][snapback]215480[/snapback][/right]

Okay so definately steer my mom away from an Aveo to replace her Cavi then? :ph34r:

More ammo to get her into a Focus though :P

NefCanuck
scoobasteve,Nov 10 2006, 05:34 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Nov 10 2006, 05:04 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]215462[/snapback][/right]

They look like s*** on the outside, i;ll give you that... but the interior, is decent. I completley forgot i was driving a GM :lol:
[right][snapback]215466[/snapback][/right]

Well that is a decent statement, I bet I could agree to that with a nice test drive... (which won't be happening anytime soon...) :lol:
scoobasteve,Nov 10 2006, 06:00 PM Wrote:lol, i disagree with #1... I drove one when my family was moving to brantford... 3000km in 2 days... 15 trips. no problems...

Keep in mind all new GM Vans still use the same body design (75%) as the old 1997 - 2004 design and still are very questionable in safety crashes, need I remind some people that the IIHC strongly suggests not buying one.

IIHC Crash Video & and a warning.
interesting list....but in the end its just a poll and ppl's opinions. technology and cars are so advanced now they are all really good in their class......but the real differences come in customer service and warranties
Note that all but one was a Gm company, or GM has some interest in the manufacturer.
Lincoln shouldn't be making trucks. I thought trucks were for hauling stuff around, and work. Sorry, I guess I'm showing age.
ford ftw!
Flofocus,Nov 10 2006, 05:13 PM Wrote:Nice, we didnt make the list.
[right][snapback]215444[/snapback][/right]

One of the reasons I bought a Ford Focus was because it was on Car & Drivers' Ten Best Cars list. I believe it made this list more than a couple of years after I bought my car too.
Frost__2001,Nov 10 2006, 09:06 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Nov 10 2006, 06:00 PM Wrote:lol, i disagree with #1... I drove one when my family was moving to brantford... 3000km in 2 days... 15 trips. no problems...

Keep in mind all new GM Vans still use the same body design (75%) as the old 1997 - 2004 design and still are very questionable in safety crashes, need I remind some people that the IIHC strongly suggests not buying one.

IIHC Crash Video & and a warning.
[right][snapback]215501[/snapback][/right]

:o That's a shocking video... annoying music, but shocking results!
dBlast,Nov 11 2006, 06:49 AM Wrote:
Flofocus,Nov 10 2006, 05:13 PM Wrote:Nice, we didnt make the list.
[right][snapback]215444[/snapback][/right]

One of the reasons I bought a Ford Focus was because it was on Car & Drivers' Ten Best Cars list. I believe it made this list more than a couple of years after I bought my car too.
[right][snapback]215527[/snapback][/right]

Yup, by the time we bought ours in Feb. of '04, the Focus had garnered quite the stack of recognition.

Now, had I only known about the two engines... (said in Stallone's '3 seashells' tone from Demolition Man) :P :lol:
I agree that a lot of what is said about ANY vehicle by outfits like that, is mostly opinion-based, and not always fair/factual. I am so sick to death of the Autmotive Media being so negative about domestic cars and brands overall.

Also agree with the fact that the Focus did make C&D's ten best 5 years straight, and was at one time, the best selling car on earth.

What ruins Ford, is that the dealerships work so independently from eachother, and that the company also doesn't stand behind their vehicles very much. Take for example the car I almost bought...a 03 Lincoln LS, which is basically a $60,000 new car, only comes with a 4-year/80,000 km warranty...not exactly inspiring numbers to have knowledge of when shelling out that kinda money.

If they keep making cars like the Fusion, the Edge, and let us have the MKII Focus from Europe, Ford will make up a LOT of ground on it's road to recovery.
Drivesthebeast,Nov 12 2006, 11:46 AM Wrote:I agree that a lot of what is said about ANY vehicle by outfits like that, is mostly opinion-based, and not always fair/factual.  I am so sick to death of the Autmotive Media being so negative about domestic cars and brands overall.

Also agree with the fact that the Focus did make C&D's ten best 5 years straight, and was at one time, the best selling car on earth. 

What ruins Ford, is that the dealerships work so independently from eachother, and that the company also doesn't stand behind their vehicles very much.  Take for example the car I almost bought...a 03 Lincoln LS, which is basically a $60,000 new car, only comes with a 4-year/80,000 km warranty...not exactly inspiring numbers to have knowledge of when shelling out that kinda money.

If they keep making cars like the Fusion, the Edge, and let us have the MKII Focus from Europe, Ford will make up a LOT of ground on it's road to recovery.
[right][snapback]215640[/snapback][/right]

If you think ford is so Bad I'm suprised still that Volkswagon didn't make the list at all being the 6th worst car manufacture selling in North America.

New Bettle = 57% of being a lemon
New Jetta & Golf (MK5) = 70% Chance of bad tranny / Engine falure with an auto in less then 5,000 kms.

I'll Quote this from myvwlemon.com " $80(USD) for a simple oil change? $250(usd) for a window regulator? are they insane? "