FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Court Decision May Affect Ontario Insurance Rates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Court decision may affect Ontario insurance rates, expert says
November 10, 2006

Toronto, Ontario - An Ontario court decision on a drunk-driving charge may affect insurance premiums for all drivers, says industry expert Lee Romanov of InsuranceHotline.com.

In September 1996, Andrew Grigg, a football player with the Hamilton Tiger Cats, drove with a blood alcohol limit more than twice the legal limit; he drove through a stop sign, hit a lamppost and injured university student Andrea McIntyre. McIntyre, a promising rugby athlete, suffered mild brain trauma, recurring depression, suffers from a higher risk of arthritis and will never regain her athlete status.

Grigg was not advised of his legal rights before a breathalyzer test, and the court had to dismiss his impaired charge; he pled guilty to careless driving and paid a $500 fine. A jury awarded McIntyre $250,000 for pain and suffering, and $100,000 in aggravated damages, but in a surprising twist, they also awarded her $100,000 in punitive damages, a punishment penalty designed to make an example of Grigg's drunk driving. Lawyers believe it is the first time a jury has awarded these damages in an auto collision.

As the Ontario auto policy does not exclude punitive damages, the insurance company may have to pay this fine, instead of the driver. Romanov says that commercial policies and most homeowner policies have exclusions for punitive and exemplary damages, and other provincial auto policies also exclude them, but Ontario does not. She says that if the appeal judge's decision to have the insurance company pay the damages holds up, every Ontario driver will probably see rate increases, as "the potential for juries to make these awards will increase and juries have no limit on punitive damages, so the sky's the limit."
I'm less angry that my insurance premiums may go up. What about the drunk that almost killed a kid!
So in the end because a just verdict is found, the asshole liable isn't directly punished?

I'm of the mind they should re-write the laws and make the asshole who hit you directly liable. My rates shouldn't have to go up to cover drunk drivers when I never drive drunk. Our insurance rates are high enough in this province to begin with.
they make billions of dollars in profit, they can pay up and not raise rates.
Flofocus,Nov 10 2006, 12:03 PM Wrote:they make billions of dollars in profit, they can pay up and not raise rates.
[right][snapback]215404[/snapback][/right]

Thing is they would not want too and if they did they would still turn round and rate hike everyone over this, in fact I would not be suprised if they do this once they pay out.

I still have to say this I really wish that the government would set up the Ontario Insurance covarage system to be the same as BC, because then your plates are your insurance.
omgfg die f***ing insurance companies die you worthless pieces orf s*** :angry: