FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford Hopes To Revive Lincoln With New Models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford Hopes to Revive Lincoln With New Models
The Daily Auto Insider
Monday, November 6, 2006
November 2006

Ford is going to great lengths to resuscitate its ailing Lincoln brand, The Detroit News reported.

The need is apparent seeing as Lincoln sales have tumbled from their 1990 peak of 231,000 vehicles to just over 123,000 last year.

The brand's makeover began with last fall's launch of the Zephyr, a midsize sedan, the sales of which have exceeded expectations, Ford said. Encouraged by Zephyr's success, Lincoln is on the verge of its biggest product rollout in decades, with a slew of new vehicles due out by the end of this year, the News said.

First, Lincoln is renaming the Zephyr the MKZ and giving it a bigger engine, more agile handling and optional all-wheel drive. Then, it is launching a longer version of the Navigator, the Navigator L, and it entering the crossover market with the MKX — a refined version of the Ford Edge.

Ford is also planning to spend more on Lincoln marketing in the next 12 months than ever before in the history of the brand.

Finally, the News said, Ford hopes Lincoln's transformation will be complete when its new flagship, the MKS, goes into production in 2009.

What they need to do is come out with a pseudo sports car. 2-seat cabrio or something along the lines of the XLR. Take a Mustang chassis, add IRS, and a nice body, and away you go!

Give us something to go wow about in the brand again. The last Lincoln I honestly like is the Mark XIII.

Ryan
Looks like they're trying to get the "upper income" old guys to buy their cars now instead of us poor young fellas. :lol:

Good Luck Ford!
ANTHONYD,Nov 7 2006, 08:48 AM Wrote:Looks like they're trying to get the "upper income" old guys to buy their cars now instead of us poor young fellas. :lol:

Good Luck Ford!
[right][snapback]214951[/snapback][/right]

I dunno, the MKZ is appealing to some degree, hell if I had the scratch, I'd consider it B) Though I'm not sure of its potential to capture entry level luxo buyers who might otherwise look at Lexus/Infiniti/BMW offerings (I think it'll curbstomp anything GM & DCX has, but they're not the intended targets here)

NefCanuck
Damn Double Post :rolleyes:

NefCanuck