FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Wow ... What A Surprise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So the scoop this morning is that Saddam Hussein was found guilty and is now sentenced to hang.

Washington Post report

And although I have no doubt that he deserves this fate, I also believe that many of the people in the middle east that the American government continues to support, do also.

So the cynic in me has to ask ... was the court proceeding a sham or do you think he got due process as we define it here. And should we consider the timing, days in front of a U.S. election, to be coincidental, or is this more political manipulation.

Do you perhaps think that had the trial been in a neutral location like the Hague the process would have been different ... even if the outcome was the same.

I for one will always question the legitimacy of the outcome simply because of the location of the trial and who was conducting it - and I say that as someone who actually believes he is guilty. IMO that's all the more reason to eliminate even the perception of impropriety.

Also ... I think that had the trial been set outside Iraq, more of Hussein's lawyers might have actually survived to at least hear the verdict.
Well it was obvious that he was going to be hang, I just don’t understand why they wasted so much time and money deciding it. But i guess you have a very good point in regards to the timing, right before the elections. :) perfect one bush :)

Also I’m hoping once he is hung, the insertions will end as well. I guess lots of people still want him and those guys are still thinking Saddam will be released. So I’m interested to see what will happen to all those fanatics once they see him gone?
Crap!

I wish I could find the thread I posted in way back.

I called IT.

They'll find him guilty right before the election buzz starts.

*still looking*
^^ I remember you saying that, actually.

And yeah, it's no coincidence that it's right before the American elections.
it should have been held in international courts in The Hague, it would have been a fair trial and he may have not been sentenced to death but rather serve life in prison. which would have been a better punishment than death, and i'm all for killing people like saddam.
I'm all fo executing him, but at least do it with some flare, some pizzazz.

Death of a thousand cuts? Draw-and-quartered? How 'Kevin' was killed in Sin City? Hanging is just so 1800's Wild West... :lol:

Seriously though, the trial should have taken place in The Hague. Impartial trial, impartial jury, impartial judge. Let the prosecution bring it, and prove everything. Then put him to death, if he is found guilty.

Ryan
FocusGuy7476,Nov 5 2006, 04:05 PM Wrote:it should have been held in international courts in The Hague, it would have been a fair trial and he may have not been sentenced to death but rather serve life in prison. which would have been a better punishment than death, and i'm all for killing people like saddam.
[right][snapback]214704[/snapback][/right]

Problem is, dead he's a martyr, alive he's a cause for the fanatics to rally around and a flashpoint for trouble. Neither is the ideal situation, but dead he's no ones bargaining chip...

NefCanuck
Good thing too!
Although I belive there will be LOTS of retaliation towards the US, I guess we'll see..
I just think he's getting off way too easily. Death by paper cuts! haha..

But it should be an eye for an eye. He should be killed the way he killed many other people..
Have a look in the papers today....

They have all these images of people in Iraq "celebrating" his verdict.... but look closely, IT'S ALL CHILDREN with like one or 2 adults shooting guns in the aor.

wierd. :blink:
Probably had to get the verdict out the door before they lost any more lawyers & judges.

I think that its pretty lame that it automatically goes to an appeal.

Who cares about the "its close to the election" stuff.. just get this crap over and done with. I don't think its going to help Bush at all, we all want him gone.

Definately expecting some retaliation, and its very odd nothing has blown up yet.