FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Caught The Dealer Scamming Me.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just got quoted $810.00 from the dealer!

*Trying to catch breath*
frig, i cant remember if you have to drop the tank or what...

If you dont have to, its pretty fawkin easy, but Im pretty sure the tank has to be dropped.
$810.00 dollars makes no sense.
I think the dealer is trying to soak me for a days worth of work.
It took them all day to determine this. Dropped the tank, checked wiring, new fuse, blew fuse, pump tripped and pooched.

They said it's 2 hours labor to replace it.

The car is still at the dealer and I have no idea what to do.

Drop the tank and replace the pump. Its pretty simple you just have to make sure theres no gas in the tank. Should only take a couple of hours.
You should have bought a 2000... alll of these problems are covered under recall or hidden extended warranty.

I still have the "fuel pump" letter at home. I have yet to use it.
I just found a tsb on line for 2002 focus fuel pump.
How long are these valid for?
TSB
Well a TSB or Technical Service Bulletin is not a Recall. It only advises that an issue has been realized within the vehicle and it may be a problem that a customer may be complaining about.

AFAIK it is not something covered under warranty. But I may be wrong.
So here's the deal.

I called the dealership parts desk and was quoted 308.37 plus taxes for the part.
2 hours for replacement, and the diagnosis cost plus with taxes, from my calculations only adds up to $639.56.

Could they be hosing me for a days worth of work to diagnose?
They may be including a new fuel filter along with the labour to your estimate. Also does the fuel pump include the sock (the filter on the end of the pump in the tank), that may also be included in your $800+ quote.
ANTHONYD,Oct 14 2009, 04:04 PM Wrote:So here's the deal.

I called the dealership parts desk and was quoted 308.37 plus taxes for the part.
2 hours for replacement, and the diagnosis cost plus with taxes, from my calculations only adds up to $639.56.

Could they be hosing me for a days worth of work to diagnose?
[right][snapback]296022[/snapback][/right]

You are probably on the hook for a certain charge for the diagnosis no matter what you decide - however, most dealers don't charge you that if you decide to go ahead with the repair.

I know the last time I took my car in (even under warranty) - I had to sign that I would pay $50 if what they found wasn't covered and if I didn't go ahead with the repair.

The part price isn't bad - if I was bringing up one from the states it would be roughly 275.

The math sounds a off for sure ... the part is 308 ... 2 hours of labour is probably 220 ... for a subtotal of 528 ... you're still short $180 before tax.

Just ask for a detailed line by line quote.
I called them back and told them they're numbers don't add up.

I walked them through my mathematics and gave them my number.... they then proceeded to inform me that they charged me triple diagnosis because of the "washers" on the tank.

Final number with taxes?
$680.00

Quite a drop from $810.00.

Should I call Ford about this?
ANTHONYD,Oct 14 2009, 04:20 PM Wrote:I called them back and told them they're numbers don't add up.

I walked them through my mathematics and gave them my number.... they then proceeded to inform me that they charged me triple diagnosis because of the "washers" on the tank.

Final number with taxes?
$680.00

Quite a drop from $810.00.

Should I call Ford about this?
[right][snapback]296025[/snapback][/right]

LOL - no! The first and only thing they will tell you in situations where you have a dispute with a dealer ... is to talk with your dealer. It will be a frustrating 15 minutes of your life you will desperately want back afterwards.
Haha call Ford thats funny...Ford and the Dealers have nothing to do with each other period, Dealers are not owned by Ford just the name lol. They will just tell you talk to the dealer and sorry we can't do anything.

When you brought the car in, what did you sign for? or did you not sign a work order?
Tiketz,Oct 14 2009, 07:06 PM Wrote:Haha call Ford thats funny...Ford and the Dealers have nothing to do with each other period, Dealers are not owned by Ford just the name lol. They will just tell you talk to the dealer and sorry we can't do anything.

When you brought the car in, what did you sign for? or did you not sign a work order?
[right][snapback]296044[/snapback][/right]

I signed the 74.99 diagnostics.
I gave them the go ahead for the rest of the work this afternoon.

I should have it back tomorrow. Along with light pockets.
ANTHONYD,Oct 14 2009, 03:20 PM Wrote:they charged me triple diagnosis because of the "washers" on the tank.
[right][snapback]296025[/snapback][/right]

Washers on the tank? I don't get it, what would washers have to do with charging triple on the diagnosis?
you know the washers holding the blinker fluid tank.
$810 for a puel pump? what the puck???
Makes me laugh that this dealer once caught out already had a "cover story" ready.

Which dealer was this?

NefCanuck
Yeah, gotta be careful.. I brought in my car for an oil change at a dealer once and they tried to charge me for 6 quarts of oil. I told them, I guess there must be some kind of oil reserve I don't know about? (Of course was being sarcastic).
I told em right off and said my car only uses 4.5 so charge me for 5.

But why the hell are they charging you for 3 diagnostics? That's what I don't get.
tetra,Oct 15 2009, 08:55 AM Wrote:Yeah, gotta be careful.. I brought in my car for an oil change at a dealer once and they tried to charge me for 6 quarts of oil. I told them, I guess there must be some kind of oil reserve I don't know about? (Of course was being sarcastic).
I told em right off and said my car only uses 4.5 so charge me for 5.

But why the hell are they charging you for 3 diagnostics? That's what I don't get.
[right][snapback]296078[/snapback][/right]

I didn't get it either.
The surprising thing is it's Discovery Ford. Despite the checkered past I've had with my green machine, I always stood behind the dealer. I always got great service. ALWAYS!

Not so much now.

Triple diagnosis? I asked?
She said it was because they had to check the wiring, the tank, and the pump.
I said that should all fall under the initial diagnosis no?

Here response....

I guess so.

BUSTED.

So I'm hoping to get it today, and sign off on a massive bill to put my car back on the road that is only worth a grand. :lol:
Pages: 1 2