FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: No Rememberance Day Poppy Sales
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.ht...cdbd91&k=195693

I think this f***ING BLOWS CHUNKS. Our veterans defended ALL OF CANADA. Not just Ontario, not just Quebec... ALL OF CANADA.

And, when you have 40 YEARS of previous cooperation with the local Legion branch... why stop now?

f***tards. Add them to the Wiki for f***tards. Hell, I'll start the Wiki entry if it's not there.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 2 2006, 12:43 PM Wrote:http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.ht...cdbd91&k=195693

I think this f***ING BLOWS CHUNKS. Our veterans defended ALL OF CANADA. Not just Ontario, not just Quebec... ALL OF CANADA.

And, when you have 40 YEARS of previous cooperation with the local Legion branch... why stop now?

f***tards. Add them to the Wiki for f***tards. Hell, I'll start the Wiki entry if it's not there.
[right][snapback]214319[/snapback][/right]

Below is a copy of the email I have sent to Weston and company, Loblaws and Provigo ... all are associated:

ZTWsquare Wrote:I read with great disappointment about the war veteran who was not allowed to sell poppies in your associated Provigo store in Quebec.

My grandfather, my father and numerous aunts and uncles gave their youth and their lives to protect the whole of ths country, and their memory deserves to be honoured.

Accordingly I refuse to support any company who doesn't share this same sentiment and this same value ... and so I will no longer be shopping in any Loblaw, Provigo or Maxi store and I will be avoiding the brands associated with Weston; and I am encouraging my friends, my family, my neighbours and my online communities to do the same. Your company should be ashamed.

Ken Webster and family.

Whether or not the store's version of events is accurate (Not being a party to the conversation that took place, we can only speculate) limiting veterans as to when they can sell their poppies at all is disgusting, disrespectful and should result in some people losing their jobs.

I'm sorry but these people died for your freedom so that you can turn around and kick them in the teeth when they try to raise money to help the less fortunate among their group? Utterly deplorable and dispicable...

NefCanuck

N.B. - the preceeding rant was self edited, original rant contained many words that would have been censored and/or got this thread put in The Cage, this is a topic too important to get stuck there
ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

We have a similar problem down here as well. Our vets and their wives, etc have been selling the poppies outside of Target, Tops, etc for YEARS. Ever since I could remember. Last year, I didn't see one person out selling poppies. So far this year, I haven't seen one either. Not quite sure why, but I overheard it was something about them not allowing solicitors, and they were making an exception for the vets. It definately upset a LOT of people, and some people won't shop there anymore over it.

They've put themselves out on the line for us, and what we have today, and this is what they get in return. They don't hound you for cash, they just stand/sit there, and whoever wants to willingly donates. Give them a fricking break.

I'm really tired of the veterans getting shafted.
I'm in Reno currently, but I'll be composing an email similar to Ken's but possibly flavoured with some of Daniel's censored invective tonight.

I'm so mad I could drive a Honda.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 2 2006, 01:06 PM Wrote:I'm in Reno currently, but I'll be composing an email similar to Ken's but possibly flavoured with some of Daniel's censored invective tonight.

I'm so mad I could drive a Honda.
[right][snapback]214346[/snapback][/right]

Now, now, you may be mad as hell, but why punish yourself? :lol:

Latest word is that the store has backed down (I posted this story on canadiandriver.com, boy and I thought we were mad :P)

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 2 2006, 03:09 PM Wrote:Latest word is that the store has backed down (I posted this story on canadiandriver.com, boy and I thought we were mad :P)

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]214351[/snapback][/right]

GOOD. Now I wonder if they'll even go back, since the store did a pretty good job of alienating themselves.
They reversed their eviction... but I'm still really pissed off about this and I WILL be writing an email.

They can't be allowed to do this kind of s***.
this is a little off topic, but have you guys noticed poppies dont have green centres anymore? theyre all black? who still has the green centred ones?
paolo,Nov 3 2006, 08:55 AM Wrote:this is a little off topic, but have you guys noticed poppies dont have green centres anymore? theyre all black?  who still has the green centred ones?
[right][snapback]214447[/snapback][/right]

Welcome to 2 years ago :rolleyes: :lol:

I read thismornig they retracted their actions and the fella is allowed back in.

I'm still not shopping in any of their stores.
One of the things that made me feel at home when I first moved to Canada from the states was walking into a store...could have been a Loblaws, and giving a couple of bucks for a poppie. As a vet it made me feel good to be able to do this even though I wasn't in the states.
I'm glad the company has changed their position. But I don't think that is enough. I think a donation of $100,000.00 to a Canadian Veterans Org. would be about right.
Fader
Fader,Nov 3 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:One of the things that made me feel at home when I first moved to Canada from the states was walking into a store...could have been a Loblaws, and giving a couple of bucks for a poppie.  As a vet it made me feel good to be able to do this even though I wasn't in the states.
I'm glad the company has changed their position.  But I don't think that is enough. I think a donation of $100,000.00 to a Canadian Veterans Org. would be about right.
Fader
[right][snapback]214463[/snapback][/right]

Chances are the PR company for this orginization is scrambling something fierce today. :lol:
Fader,Nov 3 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:I'm glad the company has changed their position.  But I don't think that is enough. I think a donation of $100,000.00 to a Canadian Veterans Org. would be about right.
Fader
[right][snapback]214463[/snapback][/right]

$100k sounds like a good start!

I'm so tired of veterans in general being treated poorly I could scream (or drive a Honda).
Here's the response I got back from Loblaws

Loblaws Customer Service Wrote:Hello Mr. Webster,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We want you to know that we support the cause of Remembrance Day and the sale of poppies in all of our stores across the country.  We have welcomed veterans in our stores for many years and will continue to do so in the future.  As Canadians, we are grateful for the many sacrifices which veterans have made on our behalf. 

We would like you to know that this was an isolated misunderstanding.  The veteran in Quebec had been welcomed for 6 days to sell poppies in our store and the manager believed that after this time, he had approached most of his customers.  Regardless, there should not be, nor will there be any time limit placed on the sale of poppies and this veteran, as well as the hundreds of others which we welcome in our 1000 nationally are welcome in our stores.  The sale of poppies in this store continues this morning. 

Regards

Loblaws Supermarkets
Customer Relations
Loblaws Companies

it's not just Loblaws though,

Burger King tired this last year, and with-in a week they lost support of many communities they supported for their stunt as well, But aside from all this you have to remember this is not a low point IMO, I think their should be stiffer punishments for people who steal the poppie boxes, and it should be a addressed as a greater problem as it happens more often then one would think, as it happened at my old job's location not twice but 5 times in a 2 week time frame, and they never cought the f***tards who did it yet.