FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Help! Whats Wrong With My Car
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea what might be wrong with my car. Here are the the symptoms:

When I turn right, more noticeably at low speeds (like in a parking lot) I hear this very annoying sound coming from the left front (maybe left rear?) . It sounds like a creaking wood noise. Even when going straight at slow speeds and I just turn the wheel slightly to the right it creaks. Does anyone have any idea what's this could be?

Im hoping its a simple fix that I could do myself.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2002 ZX5 - everything is stock (its my commuter car)
Drive 100kms a day
CV shaft? strut mounts?
I'd go with strut mounts to...Get a freind to help you diagnosing it....

Get the front wheels in the air (safely), make sure the steering isnt locked (key in), grab one of your tires on each side and turn it manually....making the steering wheel turn also.

Have your freind listen for the noise and where its coming from.
Flofocus,Nov 2 2006, 01:29 PM Wrote:I'd go with strut mounts to...Get a freind to help you diagnosing it....

Get the front wheels in the air (safely), make sure the steering isnt locked (key in), grab one of your tires on each side and turn it manually....making the steering wheel turn also.

Have your freind listen for the noise  and where its coming from.
[right][snapback]214277[/snapback][/right]

I got the front wheels in the air last weekend and turned it manually, I couldnt hear the noise.
were you turning them left to right, or just spinning the tires?

my bmw was making a similar noise and thats how I found it...was the top strut bearing...

Other than that, check the condition of your bushings, cv boots, axles while your under there.
You know what... I was hearing that exact same noise for the past little bit... almost like a door creaking open, but mine was coming from the rear. Anytime I go over any portion of the road that isn't 100% smooth (ie: Ottawa roads=crap), it sounds like the back half of my car is going to fall off! And my car is brand new...

Going to bring it up at my next service appointment
i have the same noise...whenever i turn left on standing still or slow speeds.....my mechanic said its a simple fix and its nothing to be aware of.....now, should i be fixing it right away?
Flofocus,Nov 2 2006, 01:57 PM Wrote:were you turning them left to right, or just spinning the tires?

my bmw was making a similar noise and thats how I found it...was the top strut bearing...

Other than that, check the condition of your bushings, cv boots, axles while your under there.
[right][snapback]214285[/snapback][/right]

I turned the wheels left to right (did not spin the tires). I put the car back down and bounced the corner up and down to hear if the creak was there - nothing.
ZX5chica,Nov 2 2006, 09:19 AM Wrote:You know what... I was hearing that exact same noise for the past little bit... almost like a door creaking open, but mine was coming from the rear. Anytime I go over any portion of the road that isn't 100% smooth (ie: Ottawa roads=crap), it sounds like the back half of my car is going to fall off! And my car is brand new...

[right][snapback]214288[/snapback][/right]

Do you also notice a creaking and groaning from the rear when entering/exiting the car while the parking brake is on? My '05 does that, they lubricated the bushings on the rear suspension and it helped but didn't eliminate the noise altogether :(

NefCanuck
NefCanuck,Nov 2 2006, 02:56 PM Wrote:
ZX5chica,Nov 2 2006, 09:19 AM Wrote:You know what... I was hearing that exact same noise for the past little bit... almost like a door creaking open, but mine was coming from the rear. Anytime I go over any portion of the road that isn't 100% smooth (ie: Ottawa roads=crap), it sounds like the back half of my car is going to fall off! And my car is brand new...

Do you also notice a creaking and groaning from the rear when entering/exiting the car while the parking brake is on? My '05 does that, they lubricated the bushings on the rear suspension and it helped but didn't eliminate the noise altogether :(

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]214297[/snapback][/right]

Yes I hear a creaking and groaning noise from the rear too as you described
NefCanuck,Nov 2 2006, 08:56 AM Wrote:

NefCanuck
[right][snapback]214297[/snapback][/right]
Put your car in nuetral and only have the parking brake on. That is caused by the parking brake not fully locking the rear brakes. I've actually been able to push my car backwards. But since I came back from the bodyshop it seems to be holding better I think they might have done something.
I wanted to see what was causing the noise...

so, I did the chick thing, and bounced the rear bumper up and down, with the pressure concentrated on either the left or the right side. Definately creaking more on the right side... which begs the question...

Has anybody heard anything regarding problems with the shocks/springs on the new 06's??
ZX5chica,Nov 2 2006, 04:52 PM Wrote:I wanted to see what was causing the noise...

so, I did the chick thing, and bounced the rear bumper up and down, with the pressure concentrated on either the left or the right side. Definately creaking more on the right side... which begs the question...

Has anybody heard anything regarding problems with the shocks/springs on the new 06's??
[right][snapback]214323[/snapback][/right]

Afterthought: This creaking noise happened right after I jack up up my car on either side to put on my snows...does jacking up the car put too much stress on either side?
Jaigon,Nov 2 2006, 05:35 PM Wrote:
ZX5chica,Nov 2 2006, 04:52 PM Wrote:I wanted to see what was causing the noise...

Afterthought: This creaking noise happened right after I jack up up my car on either side to put on my snows...does jacking up the car put too much stress on either side?
[right][snapback]214333[/snapback][/right]

Another thing that came to mind...the creak goes away when it rains...so could it just be a bushing that needs to be lubed?
My front struts do that a lot actually... but I've got the S2-tune struts and they're quite stiff.

Between that and the anti-sway being thicker than stock, I get a fair amount of noise going on really bumpy roads.
My car used to make the creaking noise too, and all i did was spray a generous amount of lithium grease on the inside of both the front wheels.

I figure it was the bushings making the creaking noise but after i sprayed the lithium grease it stopped, i haven't heard the noise since spraying, and it was making the noise a low speeds and mostly through right hand turns.

Hope this helps
focuspilot23,Nov 3 2006, 01:01 AM Wrote:My car used to make the creaking noise too, and all i did was spray a generous amount of lithium grease on the inside of both the front wheels.

I figure it was the bushings making the creaking noise but after i sprayed the lithium grease it stopped, i haven't heard the noise since spraying, and it was making the noise a low speeds and mostly through right hand turns.

Hope this helps
[right][snapback]214405[/snapback][/right]

Im going to bring the car in next Tuesday to the Dealer. Get them to do the winter maintenance package for 40 bucks. Includes oil & filter change, rotate tires, multipoint inspection, brake inspection...top up all fluids.

I usually change the oil myself but I figured I mind as well have them check underneath for peace of mind.

I took my car it to the dealer today for a quick opinion on the creaking noise, the service advisor said it maybe the ball joint or strut mount bearing hard to say..they will look at it next Tuesday.

I'll post the findiings then.

Thanks all for your help.
ZX5chica,Nov 2 2006, 11:52 AM Wrote:I wanted to see what was causing the noise...

All it is, is the parking brake. Try taking the parking brake off and see if it happens... shouldn't. Mine does the same thing with the e-brake engaged.
My car only makes this creaking noise when it's been parked outside in the cold and I am making slow turning manouvers out of parking lot. Yesterday I heard it for the first time since last winter. The noise goes away when it is warm. I've learned to live with it.
Jaigon,Nov 2 2006, 01:02 PM Wrote:Hello,

Can anyone give me an idea what might be wrong with my car. Here are the the symptoms:

When I turn right, more noticeably at low speeds (like in a parking lot) I hear this very annoying sound coming from the left front (maybe left rear?) . It sounds like a creaking wood noise. Even when going straight at slow speeds and I just turn the wheel slightly to the right it creaks. Does anyone have any idea what's this could be?

Im hoping its a simple fix that I could do myself.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

2002 ZX5 - everything is stock (its my commuter car)
Drive 100kms a day
[right][snapback]214273[/snapback][/right]

PROBLEM FIXED - I THINK...

Sorry took to long to post the results after taking my car the dealer for a winter maintenance package.

Anyways, the dealership could not heae the noise because it had just rained..the said it may be the endlinks but I would have to take it back in when the car was drr....I decided to try fixing it myself. I bought some silicon lube and sprayed the endlinks and the creak is now gone. Great!

Just thought you all might find this info useful...

2002 Liquid Grey ZX5 (stock) 141,000 Kms [ commuter car ]

Pages: 1 2