FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Almost Dies When Cold..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, here's the prob....from cold start, i move off straight away...get to end of street, turn right...go thru one stop sign, thru next...get to next, and engine wants to stall...I rev it a bit, get to set of lights....slowing down, dump the clutch...and it dies. This is no more than 1Km

She's been a little low/rumbly since the cold started....starts fine, revs at about 1000 I reckon...but once start moving, she wants to stall...until she warms up. Once warm, she drives like normal...loves the cold air actually it seems.

Any ideas...seems to me like it's not getting enough fuel while cold...like choke in the old days. I'm gonna let her warm up tomorrow morning for a few minutes, see if that helps....and see if she stalls in the driveway.

2.0L SPI Wagon

Scorp.
This is a common issue with these cars. I had the same issue and it took a while to work it out, but these are a few things I did and it finally stopped doing it.
Check/change PCV valve, change fuel filter, check coil packs, clean MAF sensor, check idle control sensor. Check for vaccum leaks.
Also check/change plugs and wires if you haven't done so recently.
Mine finally stopped altogether when I had the coils cleaned.

Hope you this helps a little.
Sparkplug wires, cracked coil, fuel filter, fuel pump... they're all possible culprits.

Is it throwing a CEL?
No, not throwing a CEL. Runs perfectly when warm, it's just the 'warm-up' that's the problem.

Quote: Check/change PCV valve, change fuel filter, check coil packs, clean MAF sensor, check idle control sensor. Check for vaccum leaks.
Also check/change plugs and wires if you haven't done so recently.

Are these easy to check? She had new plug/wires less than 2000Km ago, so they should be ok, but I'll give them a check anyway. I don't have a manual for this car (can't get one at crappytire, anyway) so I wouldn't know where to start, although with a guide I can do my own work easy enough. Anyone know where I can get a manual, or guide for checking these things?

Thanks again guys.....in a way I'm glad to hear it's a common problem.

Scorp.
Ok, ran her for about 7-8 minutes this morning before driving. Made all the difference (temp gauge was just above white section on left).

So, do all the above possibilities to check still relate? And does anyone know where I can find a manual or how-to's for these?

Thanks,
Scorp.
Scorpion,Nov 2 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:Ok, ran her for about 7-8 minutes this morning before driving. Made all the difference (temp gauge was just above white section on left).

So, do all the above possibilities to check still relate? And does anyone know where I can find a manual or how-to's for these?

Thanks,
Scorp.
[right][snapback]214395[/snapback][/right]

Ok, you let it run for 7-8 mins... was it this morning when it was cold? Did you turn your heater on? If you did, the engine will rev higher intermittently and will not allow it to stall.

Here are 2 things to check, follow the links.

Clean MAF sensor click here
Fuel Filter click here
Now, to check your PCV valve you have to find it first. If you're running a stock airbox, you will find a hose attatched underneath the air box. Follow it to where it meets the engine and you'll find the PCV valve.

Remember, this is all minor stuff that if you take it to any mechanic they will do all of this for next to nothing... At least the ones I know.

Fuel filter is $12 from FORD, PCV is $6 from FORD, cleaning the MAF takes 5 mins, checking coils not too long.
Thx Alien. Yes, it was this morning, before work. Nothing running like heater etc. Just started her and let her idle from cold.

Thank for the links, I'll be doing those checks...and if the PCV is that cheap, I'll change it along with the fuel filter. I'll let you know how it goes.

Scorp.
Just thought I might add this as well.

PCV valve
have you tried plugging your car in at night?, it helps keep the foci warm and might help in you not having a dying issue for a while if you can't figure out the problem right away. One plus side to plugging you foci in at night is it take 1/2 the time to warm it up in the morning.
Yes, thanks Frost, I did consider it....and might just do that if I can't figure it out before Monday...and as things are looking now, work is gonna keep me from doing what I need to dammit!....so ya, lol...one extension lead coming right up!

S.
I'm fairly modified, as far as intake / UDP / exhaust goes anyways. When I drive it dead cold, it idles funny for a bit (never off, just a bit waveringly) and then it settles down as the temperature gauge needle moves into the marked area of the gauge. I've never experienced anything like what you're describing under any conditions with the SPI running right.

On that note, I didn't plug in my car ONCE last year, and I live in North Bay.

If heat is a determining factor, I'd recommend checking the coil to be sure.

Actually, I'm not sure how one makes sure the coil ISN'T cracked. :blink: I had the dealer replace mine outright after diagnostics.

PM me your email address if you want a PDF copy of the 2001 Ford Focus Owner's Manual.
Thanks NOS, PM sent.

Yes, I'll get round to checking her out...hopefully next w/end...work holding me up right now...sigh.

Thanks again,

Scorp.