FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Engine Mounts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
so what is the point of getting after market engine mounts? how exectly do they help?
i see a lot of turbocharged focus's have them.

cheers
NikiterZTS,Oct 29 2006, 04:37 PM Wrote:so what is the point of getting after market engine mounts? how exectly do they help?
i see a lot of turbocharged focus's have them.

cheers
[right][snapback]213782[/snapback][/right]

Engine mounts just reduce the movement of your engine when you gas it. Basically all it does is transfers the energy the engine exerts into moving the car intead of moving the engine.

Also, if you decide to do engine mounts, be aware that your car will vibrate more because the engine moves less and transfers that shaking or movement to the frame.

but do u actually get more hp out of it? tourq?

i guess the rubbers are made out of harder material thats all i can think off
NikiterZTS,Oct 29 2006, 05:32 PM Wrote:but do u actually get more hp out of it?  tourq?
[right][snapback]213790[/snapback][/right]

Personally I don't have engine mounts. Some will tell you it is noticeable, but I don't know. It may enhance acceleration.

how hard would it be to change them?
what i have in mind is that you have to put somekind of a support under the engine (jack or something) and change them one by one.....
Open your hood while the engine's running. Gun the gas, you'll see the engine pitch and roll.

The factory mounts are very soft, because the primary function is to reduce vibration to the cabin.

Poly engine mounts reduces that rolling action.

This is useful because 1) the energy dissipated in moving the engine is not being put to work at the wheels, and 2) a rolling engine throws stuff out of alignment.

The first is pretty obvious, not that it means that suddenly you have more hp/tq. It just gives a little less lag off the line.

The second is a bit more important. When the engine and tranny rolls, everything rolls with it. Stuff like your shifter linkage get out of line, very pronounced on the 1-2 shift. Personally, that is why I got a VF rear mount. Between that and a Steeda short shifter it made a huge difference. Nice crisp shifts.
My old focus had mounts the new one does not. THe old focus shifted much nicer they were crisp and dead on , the new one by comparison feels like crap. But you will get slightly more chasis vibration and maybe some interior noise. Trade off is well worth it man.
if you get just the bushings, it can be a PITA to replace them. If I was to do it again, Id go with a full replaceable kit.

took us a good hour to try and figure out how to get the bushing out....we had to create our own press....it was ghetto but got the damn thing out and the new one in!
try this, drive @ around 40km. lift the gas, you will feel like riding a horse. And motor mount will reduce that jerky movment. It is not too hard to install, put the car in the stand or oil change ramp, support the engine, take out the 5-6 bolt and swap the mount. But if you're buying the insert it will be a PITA.
i hear steeda's are pretty good.....but ZX3_2NV broke one of his....seen it on the photo

NikiterZTS,Oct 30 2006, 01:49 PM Wrote:i hear steeda's are pretty good.....but ZX3_2NV broke one of his....seen it on the photo
[right][snapback]213874[/snapback][/right]

pretty sure cfm redesigned a unit because so many were braking. I cant remember if its was for a specific model though :unsure:
whats a good price on a set of engine mounts? all 3 peices?

and what excectly do u support the engine with when u change them? jack?
NikiterZTS,Oct 30 2006, 01:54 PM Wrote:whats a good price on a set of engine mounts?  all 3 peices?

and what excectly do u support the engine with when u change them? jack?
[right][snapback]213877[/snapback][/right]

I only did the lower one, the insert from Steeda.ca. Its holding up well.

The top mounts will support the engine, but use a jack for safety.
ya engine mounts r worth it

i still need to do mine cause under hard acceleration/shift into second my motor actually rocks so much it hits my firewall!!

SVT Powa!
well i will def look into gettin some later on .....i see some people do only rear engine mount
NikiterZTS,Oct 30 2006, 12:36 PM Wrote:well i will def look into gettin some later on .....i see some people do only rear engine mount
[right][snapback]213889[/snapback][/right]

That's cause its the easiest one to do. That and if you only change one of the engine mounts you'll have an unbalanced vibration that will shake you more than changing all the mounts.

Anyone that tells you the mounts don't make a difference is lieing or can't feel changes made with there vehicle.

Will you notice huge numbers differences.. Unlikely but, you'll enjoy your vehicle that much more at the end of the day ;)