FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Digital Slr
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i want ot buy a dSLR .....

prefferably a Nikon f70 or f50 .....

but might settle on a Canon....

anyone have one? or know of good classifieds to find one?

so far i search:

-fredmiranda
-ebay (not too keen on getting one from there)
-vwvortex (you'd be surprised)
-kijiji
-craigslist

any others?
Know someone that may be selling his Canon Digital Rebel (300D)... i'll check for you.
You will get more bang for the buck and same quality with Canon.

Go into To to Vistek or Henrys or Broadway Camera. They always have good deals on used or barely used eqquipment.

I bought Pat's first camera years ago at Vistek. It was a insurance claim return and we paid 65% of what it cost new for a brand new camera.
Black's. I bought my D50 there and got the extra 2 year warranty (total of 3 years). They're helpful and fairly knowledgable. I also bought my new Nikon 70-300mm lens there just because of their 60-day price guarantee. I took the cash I got back for the D50's price drop and used it against the cost of the new lens.

I'll give Henry's credit for being somewhat on the ball when I went in a couple of months ago, but being staffed with starving college students doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

At Black's they all seemed rather competent answering the same questions the guys at Henry's were shying away from.

That's the Henry's in the big Whitby mall just north of the 401 off.. uhm... I forget... just in case you're looking to avoid it. :)
I'm waiting on the new Pentax K10D !!

The few things that caught my eye with this camera was:

1 - A new Dust Removal system to keep dust off the CCD surface

2 - A dependable dust-resistant, weather-resistant body construction featuring 72 seals throughout the camera to allow photographers to continue shooting even in dusty or rainy environments.

3 - The PENTAX-developed Shake Reduction system effectively offers a 2.5 to 4 stop advantage for sharp, blur-free images even under difficult shooting conditions.

4 - 22bit A/D converter

5 - The ability to use any Pentax lense (old or new) on the K10D

Since it is not released yet... not really sure about how it compares to the Nikon / Canon, but just thought I would post it up.
i have an extensive background in photography....

i used to own a Canon 35mm SLR .....sold it becuase i lost interest in it for a few years.....now i'm back into it.

I've always preffered Nikon...but i won't say no to a good deal on a Canon either

the whole Nikon vs Canon debate is pretty much endless, but basically comes down to personal preference, wants, and needs.
Pentax. Ick.

Right now, if you ARE looking new, I would suggest:
- Canon Rebel XTi. I'm a Canon fan, hands down. Use a 20D myself.
- Sony Alpha. They now own all of Konica-Minolta's camera operations. This will give a large range of upcoming Sony lenses, as well as backwards compatibility to lots of the K-M line. Since they're a new name to the DSLR market, its priced relatively agressively (whereas most Sony cams are grossly overpriced).
I have to add in my experiences with my Nikon D70S. I love this camera, takes awesome photos. Quick auto-focus, fast shutter speeds, awesome battery life. And doesn't feel like a cheap toy either(Digital Rebel's do to me). Always loved Nikon cameras and their lenses. And I will continue to do so.
Photo gallery to some of the photos I have done with this camera
http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/The...est%20N%20tune/
That's with the Sigma 70-300mm lens, really really nice lens.
How much is a digital SLR going for these days.

I'm looking for a good starter camera. I was thinking of waiting until Henry's put's out their student special.
Digital SLR's can be upwards of 2000$, depending on what you are looking for, however you can get them for about 1500$

If you're looking for a good starter camera, or you want to try a small point and shoot, the one that I picked up a few months ago is great. The Olympus stylus 700. It's small, weather-proof, has the anti-vibration and it's 7.0 mp.

If you wanted a nice beefy camera, but aren't willing to get into SLR digital just yet, my brothers Canon S3 is a nice choice, and it's much less than a digital SLR. In terms of optical zoom, I know he's getting something like 12x, and then there's the digital zoom on top of that.
ZX5chica,Nov 10 2006, 08:03 AM Wrote:Digital SLR's can be upwards of 2000$, depending on what you are looking for, however you can get them for about 1500$

If you're looking for a good starter camera, or you want to try a small point and shoot, the one that I picked up a few months ago is great. The Olympus stylus 700. It's small, weather-proof, has the anti-vibration and it's 7.0 mp.

If you wanted a nice beefy camera, but aren't willing to get into SLR digital just yet, my brothers Canon S3 is a nice choice, and it's much less than a digital SLR. In terms of optical zoom, I know he's getting something like 12x, and then there's the digital zoom on top of that.
[right][snapback]215382[/snapback][/right]
Digital Zoom is useless. If you've got a computer and photo editing software you've got digital zoom with the magnifying glass. All it does is blow up a section of the picture it will not add more pixels. So it becomes distorted. Optical zoom all the way. Or go DSLR, where you can change out the lenses for more zoom.
Phantom,Nov 10 2006, 10:14 AM Wrote:Digital Zoom is useless. If you've got a computer and photo editing software you've got digital zoom with the magnifying glass. All it does is blow up a section of the picture it will not add more pixels. So it becomes distorted. Optical zoom all the way. Or go DSLR, where you can change out the lenses for more zoom.
[right][snapback]215393[/snapback][/right]

Which is why I quoted the 12x optical zoom featured on the camera... personally, I have the digital zoom function always turned off on my camera
ZX5chica,Nov 10 2006, 10:38 AM Wrote:
Phantom,Nov 10 2006, 10:14 AM Wrote:Digital Zoom is useless. If you've got a computer and photo editing software you've got digital zoom with the magnifying glass. All it does is blow up a section of the picture it will not add more pixels. So it becomes distorted. Optical zoom all the way. Or go DSLR, where you can change out the lenses for more zoom.
[right][snapback]215393[/snapback][/right]

Which is why I quoted the 12x optical zoom featured on the camera... personally, I have the digital zoom function always turned off on my camera
[right][snapback]215411[/snapback][/right]
All I'm trying to say is that Digital zoom is just marketing hype and shouldn't even be considered when buying a camera.
Check out this site, has a lot of information and reviews from the pro's!

http://www.dpreview.com

Enjoy