FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got An Issue.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Tonight, while pulling into my brother's parking garage my focus started coughing.

At first I didn't notice anything while going down the ramp except for the battery light on the dash came on. Once I got to the bottom, I could feel something was wrong; mostly because the power steering was kicking in and out every second (kinda like it was jittering).

I figured the engine died so I put it back in 1st gear and let off the clutch to try to start it again while it was rolling. No dice and at this point it stopped.

Few times tried again, it felt like it wanted to start but couldn't. It putted a few times before dying, at one point thought it was dead so went to turn the starter again and it screeched nice and loudly... right as someone walked past me lol.

So... engine won't start, putted a few times even though it didn't sound like it was cranking over... wont' start period now.

I almost think it just needs a new battery? Worst case is I can call CAA and have them tow it 25km, but I'd rather avoid that for now.
Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 07:30 PM Wrote:Tonight, while pulling into my brother's parking garage my focus started coughing.

At first I didn't notice anything while going down the ramp except for the battery light on the dash came on. Once I got to the bottom, I could feel something was wrong; mostly because the power steering was kicking in and out every second (kinda like it was jittering).

I figured the engine died so I put it back in 1st gear and let off the clutch to try to start it again while it was rolling. No dice and at this point it stopped.

Few times tried again, it felt like it wanted to start but couldn't. It putted a few times before dying, at one point thought it was dead so went to turn the starter again and it screeched nice and loudly... right as someone walked past me lol.

So... engine won't start, putted a few times even though it didn't sound like it was cranking over... wont' start period now.

I almost think it just needs a new battery? Worst case is I can call CAA and have them tow it 25km, but I'd rather avoid that for now.
[right][snapback]305075[/snapback][/right]

1st, see if your getting spark.

If you get spark, I bet you're fuel pump is going.
Oscar The Grouch,Apr 13 2010, 07:01 PM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 07:30 PM Wrote:Tonight, while pulling into my brother's parking garage my focus started coughing.

[right][snapback]305075[/snapback][/right]

1st, see if your getting spark.

If you get spark, I bet you're fuel pump is going.
[right][snapback]305078[/snapback][/right]

Wouldn't I be getting spark if the car putters? Could the car just need a tune up? I did buy it used. Guess I'll pull a spark plug and check it.

edit: engine was still kinda warm so didn't pull a plug. using caa to come boost it though just in case and at least test the battery and tell me if it's good or bad.

at the point they get here, it should be cooler and if the guy is a cool dude he'll help me out a bit on doing some tests. And, I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn the key on. Checked it more, the engine floods. Can smell the fuel in the cylinders.

what could the equivalent of hitting a speed bump do to cause a car to stop running?
Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 08:29 PM Wrote:[quote=Oscar The Grouch,Apr 13 2010, 07:01 PM][quote=Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 07:30 PM]
what could the equivalent of hitting a speed bump do to cause a car to stop running?
[right][snapback]305083[/snapback][/right]
THe emergency fuel shut-off switch?? But if you're getting some fuel then that's not likely it.

Anyway ... it's in the front side panel below the glove box.
ZTWsquared,Apr 13 2010, 09:21 PM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 08:29 PM Wrote:
Oscar The Grouch,Apr 13 2010, 07:01 PM Wrote:
Mystake,Apr 13 2010, 07:30 PM Wrote:what could the equivalent of hitting a speed bump do to cause a car to stop running?
[right][snapback]305083[/snapback][/right]
THe emergency fuel shut-off switch?? But if you're getting some fuel then that's not likely it.

Anyway ... it's in the front side panel below the glove box.
[right][snapback]305092[/snapback][/right]
yeah, checked it already and it wasn't it. Found out about it off a Dodge forum hehe.
You said your battery light flickered? Check the connection at the back of the alternator, i've had my wire seperate several times, which in turn wont charge the battery. If its corroded off (or even loose) then disconnect your positive and negative terminals and fix the connection and re-attach it. If everything seems in tact and securly connected on both battery and alternator connections then im willing to put money down that your alternator is cooked. Damn focus' are famous for poping these things <_<
Battery light, power steering...

Check that the accessory belt is still in good working order.
is there some reason your not telling us why you don't want to take it to a dealor and have the dealorship look at it? did you do something different to it?
so car is turning over correct? or is battery pooched? if battery is pooched, then you likely have an alternator problem and the fact that you died in lower RPMs makes sense for that. happened to me in ohio...

anyways, hook up a booster and try getting car to run. if it runs check your voltage at battery, and hope its over like 12.5 volts. 14~ would be ideal. this is with booster off aswell. your really checking for deflection to see if alternator is putting out any juice. if not, ur car is running on battery and killed itself.

could be worst, you cud have a duratec for replacement....
paolo,Apr 14 2010, 06:32 AM Wrote:is there some reason your not telling us why you don't want to take it to a dealor and have the dealorship look at it?  did you do something different to it?
[right][snapback]305106[/snapback][/right]

Look at the times of the posts. Dealerships were closed. Tow truck is on it's way right now.

edit: battery isn't pooched. Tried to run the focus off another car and it wouldn't start.
is this Focus an SPI? because most of the symptoms your listing are typical signs that the engine has blown, more so the part "turn the key and nothing at all" but the car has power.
Check coil pack, plug wires for rips, and all your fuses might be a blown fuse. Car info would help too.
Frost__2001,Apr 14 2010, 03:19 PM Wrote:is this Focus an SPI? because most of the symptoms your listing are typical signs that the engine has blown, more so the part "turn the key and nothing at all" but the car has power.
[right][snapback]305158[/snapback][/right]

Remind me not to talk to you about a doomsday scenario :P

Wire harness that goes to the coil pack was starting to come apart. One of the wires had infact fully rusted off. Another one was on it's way out.

Canadian Tire got my 100.57$ to diagnose it (says it took em 2 effin hours to diagnose that there was no spark, and the reason why. I swear it took em 5 minutes. No way a licensed mech took 2 hours to figure out a wire was split right near the coil pack, especially because I told them flat out I didn't know if it was getting spark but it sure as hell is getting gas and is turning over (and to make this run on sentence longer, the battery was fine too).

ANNNNNNNYWAY

They wanted 89$ (their hourly labour rate) to solder 2 of the wires back into the clip. I argued a bit with the service manager and eventually we disagreed and I stormed out of the mid conversation saying "push it back into the parking lot you're not touching my car anymore".

Hell, even the mechanic was getting angry. Sorry, but I won't pay 90$+Tax to solder TWO wires back into a plug. NOOOOOOOOOOT worth it. Not unless I get to watch the sucker take an hour to do it so that I can then take his job.

Oh, apparently "everyone is a mechanic" except for the part where in the parking lot... with a wire and a pair of vice grips I completed the circuit and got the bitch started up... 4 of the crappy tire mechanics were looking over at my smiling/laughing, then one of them came up and asked me what I had done to get it going.

Showed it to him, told him his asshole boss wanted 90 bucks to do it. drove it down to another garage 500m down the street (the guys who gave me the wire and vice grips) and they took the plug off, taped all the wires in properly for twenty dollars.

I still have to get the plug fixed/replaced but apparently its dealer-only... so this 20$ fix will have to hold for a while (freaking hell though, still 80$ cheaper than crappy tire AND I got the whole "oh hey, this needs to be greased, brb one sec" and then they do those extra little things).

Anyway, kinda got issues now because the spark plugs are fouled so I can't go WOT without it bogging and getting too much gas AAAAAAAAAAND to make things better, I've got something in the drivetrain going wrong. My brother's mustang does it too and it sounds disgusting but essentially if I give it some gas, there's this metal, dangling type noise. Almost like its metal rattling against metal shavings... I'd compare it to a set of keys shaking against each other, but coming from underneath the hood with a lot more "ohhh that doesn't sound good!!"

But! Tomorrow is another day. p.s. car has 113k on it.
also,

whats the exclamation mark on the dash board, with the explosion like circle around it

almost looks like its telling me a bomb is going to go off.

is it a knock sensor? and if it is... I put in 91 octane to counter it when it was running bad.

on the new spark plugs, it knocks at around 5grand sometimes.

Was giving it some gas trying to see if i could get it to bog down like it was yesterday (and it didn't, so spark plugs were the issue) but as said it knocked.

from at like 5400 it jumped a bit, dropped a bit and started shooting towards 6 so i got off the gas. Shouldn't knock should it...
Go to the wreckers and get your plug!!!

Oshawa autowreckers down in south end is dirt cheap and will more than likely have a couple focus' on hand

Oshawa Auto Parts Ltd‎
1175 Nelson Street, Oshawa, ON L1H 5P3
(905) 725-2162‎

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&q=oshaw...7CoO4rYM9mX8N8F

this is also a common problem and the 2000 wagon i had, had this problem. And the 2000 zx3 i have has had this done as well
SL8RZZX3,Apr 15 2010, 04:09 PM Wrote:Go to the wreckers and get your plug!!!

Oshawa autowreckers down in south end is dirt cheap and will more than likely have a couple focus' on hand

Oshawa Auto Parts Ltd‎
1175 Nelson Street, Oshawa, ON L1H 5P3
(905) 725-2162‎

http://maps.google.ca/maps?ie=UTF8&q=oshaw...7CoO4rYM9mX8N8F

this is also a common problem and the 2000 wagon i had, had this problem. And the 2000 zx3 i have has had this done as well
[right][snapback]305259[/snapback][/right]

good idea, will do!

thanks

edit

wait, why the hell didn't I think of just getting the plug off another? Haha, damn.
engine went kaput. lost oil and started ticking... so i muscled it to a canadian tire (first exist, first right turn, first intersection... sooo convenient).

anyway, in the parking lot I saw oil dripping. It's hurting bad. Got lucky a friend was able to get me home.
Car has been in the shop for a bit. Its getting a 2.0L with 40000 km on it. I'm down 4 out of the 7-10 days they said it would take. I'm hoping to get it back next week now...
7-10 days to an engine in?
(05-06-2010, 12:20 AM)Flofocus Wrote: [ -> ]7-10 days to an engine in?

Busy shop? When I get to a keyboard ill tell the Story of how they told me to come get my car and take it to another shop.
Pages: 1 2