FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ont: Gov't Reminds Drivers To Watch For Wildlife
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ontario government reminds drivers to watch for wildlife
October 25, 2006

Ottawa, Ontario - Ontario transportation minister Donna Cansfield has joined wildlife and road safety partners in Ottawa to highlight efforts aimed at reducing wildlife collisions. Cansfield says collisions with wildlife have increased by 86 per cent in the past decade, with a collision occurring every 38 minutes in the province.

The Ottawa Wildlife Collision Prevention Initiative runs through October and November, and includes increased speed limit enforcement, billboards, and advertising on radio and television. The initiative is supported by the Ministry of Transportation, CAA, Ontario Provincial Police and the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

Important safety tips include:

be aware of the dangers of animals darting into traffic, and scan the road ahead from shoulder to shoulder.

when you see wildlife beside the road, slow down and pass carefully; animals may bolt suddenly onto the road.

watch for the yellow wildlife warning signs that indicate an area of increased risk, and slow down in these areas.

use high beams at night where possible, and watch for the glowing eyes of animals.

if possible, avoid driving during dusk or dawn, when most wildlife collisions occur
swerving to avoid hitting an animal may result in a more serious collision. If hitting an animal is unavoidable, remember to stay in control.

The "Watch for Wildlife" brochure can be found online at http://www.mto.gov.on.ca, or by calling 1-800-373-5099.

I cry if I hit a squirrel, I would hate to hit anything bigger :( I'd feel SO bad.
Squirrels are a drag to hit. The average lifespan of one of those critters is something like 40 years :blink:

I almost drilled a Deer a few weeks back on Burloak Drive IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!
Y'know, the way we build out these creatures habitats, I'm not surprised this is happening more and more. I still remember when my dad got his car punked out by a deer up on Bathurst Rd. in Aurora back in the late 80's and this was before they really started building like crazy up there :rolleyes:

If he would have been driving his work car, he would have been toast <_<

NefCanuck
If you drive up north a lot, they actually put these tips on placemats in diners..

p.s. sometimes, it's better to swerve around a moose than hitting it... just remember to always aim for the hind legs.. animals like to run forward.
Look high to, at night you'll see thier eyes pretty good....you just gotta look up higher than usual. The wife came close to hitting one last week.....I had to tell her to slow down and she didnt even know why I was telling her....it was only when we were about 6 feet away that she saw it.

6 years ago heading trough the backroads to the Swift Rapids Rally up in Orillia my brother and I almost hit a turkey to bad too it was 2 weeks to Thanksgiving.

Laterz :)