FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Thinking Of Trading Up..again...lol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I drove an 07 Fusion SEL AWD V6 on saturday at my local Ford store, and it had only 9km's on it when I started to drive it. It's black on black leather with oatmeal stitching, has every power option, NO sunroof (this is something I'd preffer anyways), etc. The only things about the car I didn't like was that it doesn't have the optional spoiler on it with the functional 3rd brakelight (a $300 option from the Ford.ca.build/price thingy, but this dealership has the car priced as though it does have one), and that there's only a factory tint on the car.

So, the salesman asked me what it would take to get me to take the car asap, and I said 4 things...get me as much money as possible for my ZX3 on a trade in, get me monthly payments of $500 or less if possible, tint the glass, and add the spoiler...if they do all that, I might be serious.

One of the Managers of the store is a qualified/certified appraiser, and he told me off the bat that most older ZX3's with over 120K on them usually only fetch $4000-$4500 on trade ins. He looked mine over, and had me list what's been done to it, and he said the lowest they will offer me is $6000...that's almost as much as I have left oweing on it. He said they will give me that much IF I decide to buy the car that's on their lot.

So, I'd have a car with less than 50 kms on it, full warranty, AWD, leathers and loaded (minus the sunroof, which I don't want/need), and 0% for 60 months, and I'd get 6K for my car on a trade in. I would also pull most of the stereo out and put it up for sale, as well as sell my SVT wheels and Fuzions (have 5 of each)...that way I could have some extra cash to put towards an extra payment, or save for future stuff to the Fusion.

My 2nd Dilema is that I LOVE the Lincoln LS V8 Sport and LSE's...they have good punch, gucci interiors, HID's, etc, and can be purchased for as little as $20K with average mileage on them...which would be the better part of 10K cheaper than the Fusion, but have at least $2000-$2500 more in intrest to pay...

What does everybody think?

L8tr!
wow 500 bucks for the next 5 years????

sounds like a lot.
(for an updated Taurus)
ANTHONYD,Oct 23 2006, 01:04 PM Wrote:wow 500 bucks for the next 5 years????

sounds like a lot.
(for an updated Taurus)
[right][snapback]213036[/snapback][/right]

think of it as an alternate trim mazda 6.
I took one for a test drive when they first came out. Granted the one I drove didn't have all the tits and nipples the one Ian in looking at, I still wouldn't pay that kind of coin for one of those cars.

IMHO.
Unless something groundbreaking appears in the next two years, it'll either be a 200x Fusion SEL AWD V6 or a Subaru WRX STi.

Yes, I'm serious. It's either a bent towards a bit of luxury and fluff or straight on to Ridiculous Speed! :D

I've driven the SE/SELs and I've ridden shotgun in a WRX STi... either would do me just fine. Thing is, Sara would prefer the auto but would likely fall in love with the STi.

Decisions, decisions. I've got two years to save up for our next chariot.
The Fusion is an interesting machine for what it is. The control layout is a lot better for my needs but the price makes me sad :(

Though I wonder what a ex daily rental Fusion SEL would go for at this point...

NefCanuck
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 23 2006, 01:03 PM Wrote:Unless something groundbreaking appears in the next two years, it'll either be a 200x Fusion SEL AWD V6 or a Subaru WRX STi.

Yes, I'm serious. It's either a bent towards a bit of luxury and fluff or straight on to Ridiculous Speed! :D

I've driven the SE/SELs and I've ridden shotgun in a WRX STi... either would do me just fine. Thing is, Sara would prefer the auto but would likely fall in love with the STi.

[right][snapback]213044[/snapback][/right]

i've driven shotty in WRX sti as well.....and yes i loved it...... the owned of the car did 0-60 in just like 6 or so seconds....
i say go with that car :D
The deal sounds ok overall, but I'm thinking that I'd ultimately be happier with a low km's Lincoln LS...

The subies are nice, but they are big bucks to buy, to maintain, and to insure, etc. I also think that $500ish is about the norm for cars that are 30K +....

Thanks for the advice so far though folks!
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 23 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:  or a Subaru WRX STi.

Yes, I'm serious.

[right][snapback]213044[/snapback][/right]

And you bust my Balls about gas mileage I bet that hte STI doesn't have kick as$ mileage :lol: BUt well worth it IMHO
you cant compare a ford fusion to a wrx sti

i work for ford and like for but common its a subaru wrx sti

hands down the suby
mind u you just added like alot to your sticker price
resale value to though
The Subie is 50 Grand, after options, taxes, freight, PDI, etc...

Not what I'm after. Also, if I were to buy something in the STi's pricerange, I'd likely buy a used 06 Lincoln LS LSE, or a MKZ...would rather have domestic blingage than a pocket rocket...so to speak...
Been doing a lot of research and also some market comparison...the competition in the $30,000-$35,000 segment is very tough.

The Fusion is starting to seem like a more viable option all the time, as my car is 6 fiscal years old, has over 132,000km's on it, and the major components haven't started to wear out yet, but I give them just a short while longer.

If I DO sell my ZX3 and get a Fusion, I'm gonna have some stuff for sale...

5x 2003 SVT EAP "Dark Argent" rims (5th is a full size spare), with 5x Fuzion ZRi 215/45 ZR(w) summer tires with only 1 season on them, with another season left in them (well, 4 of them, the 5th is untouched).

Basically my entire stereo system (HU, Subs, Box, Cap, Amp), etc.

If this stuff happens, I'll post it up in the buy/sell forum...

Also hoping that I'll be welcome here to some extent, as I view the Fusion as the "younger-bigger-brother" to the Focus.

L8tz
Well you'll still be welcome, some of the most active posters don't own anymore or never owned a focus in the first place.
How much of a discount are they giving you off MSRP - or are you paying full pop and that's how they can show you a high trade value?

There might also be a $500 hidden incentive on that car (called delivery allowance - I'll check) and if there is it means they can either give you a better deal or they can pocket a bigger gross.

If you really want an assessment of how good the deal is PM me with the actual numbers and I'll tell you what's what.

And I know you've read it on here before, but it's worth repeating ... whatever you do ... don't sign anything without thinking hard about it first (overnight is best) ... the worst deals are the ones you take on a whim.

Cheers and good luck.
I've done the homework on a Subaru SE Sedan... 450/mo lease over 2 years with 10% down... it worked out to just over $11,000 for the two years.

At that point, just trade it in and get another. Over 4 years at the same game and always well within warranty, you're still ahead of a 5-year finance plan on the car by far.

As much as I love owning the Focus (and I'm not saying I'll give it up), brand new and zero headaches on a daily driver would allow me to do really evil things with the Focus... things I couldn't attempt right now.
NOS2Go4Me,Nov 3 2006, 12:30 AM Wrote:brand new and zero headaches on a daily driver would allow me to do really evil things with the Focus... things I couldn't attempt right now.
[right][snapback]214431[/snapback][/right]

You DO have a head on your shoulders!! :P :lol:
ZTWsquared,Nov 2 2006, 11:39 PM Wrote:How much of a discount are they giving you off MSRP - or are you paying full pop and that's how they can show you a high trade value?

There might also be a $500 hidden incentive on that car (called delivery allowance - I'll check) and if there is it means they can either give you a better deal or they can pocket a bigger gross.

If you really want an assessment of how good the deal is PM me with the actual numbers and I'll tell you what's what.

And I know you've read it on here before, but it's worth repeating ... whatever you do ... don't sign anything without thinking hard about it first (overnight is best) ... the worst deals are the ones you take on a whim.

Cheers and good luck.
[right][snapback]214427[/snapback][/right]

IAN !!!

GREAT ADVICE ^^^^^

TAKE HIM UP ON IT!
Ok... after reading most of the posts here I totally agree with ZTWsquared, However, I'm going to burst your bubble.

1. If you can afford to pay $500+ on top of that, the $xxx.xx for insurance monthly, Why Can't you put that same payment to the focus to pay it off in a years time rather then drag out your current loan on the focus, and pay more on the intrest of the loan by letting it drag out. Talking to your bank about upping the loan payments is not a hard thing to do.

2. If you keep the focus maintained well and on a timely mannor it's not going to have a total failure at a certen mileage point or time, as I read your stress ridden posts about the exact mileage you currently have on the car. I have an 01 at 185,000kms and it's still running like when I bought it.

3. What wrong with buying this Fusion SEL AWD in 2 years time when they Plummit in price like all ford's genereally do in that time frame, after Ford Flouds it in the market with it's Fleet sales this year as their is no more Taurus!

4. If you are only wanting one car, a nice car at that, get rid of your truck.

5. Again back to the focus again, were you not saying like 2 months ago you love the car and are highly thinking of keeping it as your toy pet project once you paid it off ?

6. If the dealerships is only going to give you $6000 on your Focus, can you afford to pay out the remainder of the loan out of pocket ? or are they going to place that extra cost, and fees to add the remainder to the price tag of this new car? have you looked in to this atleast?

7. Stay away from car dealerships till you know your with-in 8 - 4 months of paying off your car, or better yet Stay away from them till you know what you want in a car for sure, because to me you don't really sound like you know what your looking for currently..... but again that's just me reading up on your last posts on this New car buying thinking of yours.

8. if your Rims go up for sale I would like them please

I don't want to sound mean, or nasty but really you need more time then what the dealer gave you to really think about what you are doing or really want.
Honestly, you're better off to have an older vehicle as a project car (even if "older" is a 2000-2004 first-gen Focus) and a newer daily driver as a lease.

I'll never attempt to sell the Focus and recover ANYTHING I've put into it mod-wise. I find that outside of these forums it would be foolhardy to expect someone else to understand why I've done what I've done to the car. Moreover, it would be foolish to expect them to appreciate the car in light of what I've done with it.

Actually, my brother-in-law has expressed an interest in the Focus, modded as it is, for sometime in the spring. I'm still not sure what to do about it.
Drivesthebeast,Oct 24 2006, 05:56 PM Wrote:The deal sounds ok overall, but I'm thinking that I'd ultimately be happier with a low km's Lincoln LS...
[right][snapback]213224[/snapback][/right]

Here's the deal you should be looking for:

2007 P02/250 SEL AWD + Leather + Spoiler + $200 aftermarket tint

MSRP (don't pay this price):
$38,480 (including air tax, PST and GST - licensing extra)

Discounted Price (this is a good deal and the maximum you should pay):
$36,493 (including air tax, PST and GST - licensing extra)

Forgetting for a minute the trade in (just confuses things) you should expect to receive a discount of at least $1,987 off MSRP taxes in - includes the $500 "hidden" delivery allowance incentive that a good dealer will give you and which is available through the end of December.

If you can get that price, then you should expect to receive no more than wholesale value for your trade.

If you can't get that price - don't take the deal - you're not talking to the right dealership.

Another thing to keep in mind ... traditionally Ford has strengthened their consumer incentives around the Christmas holiday season, so you're better off waiting and even doing a factory order.

Place your order in the fourth quarter (Q4-06) and take delivery in Q1-07 and you get to choose which set of incentives you want ... the expired Q4 incentives (rainchecked) or the Q1-07 - whichever is best. That's a win-win situation - you get the exact car you want and you get to choose your set of incentives.

Hope this helps.