FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: E-brake Cables
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok guys I need some help. When i set my e-brake it works properly, but when i release it, the handle feels like the cable hasn't released. I've been told that the rear cables need to be changed, does anyone know how much work it is to change them? Anyone done this themselves?

Or does anyone have any idea what else it might be? I've tried adjusting the screw on the end of the e-brake handle and that doesn't help.

Thanks guys.
Bump.

No one has any ideas?
Just a Shot But Get under the Car And Make WD-40 Proud.
Chromey,Oct 21 2006, 11:14 PM Wrote:Just a Shot But Get under the Car And Make WD-40 Proud.
[right][snapback]212861[/snapback][/right]

My mechanic tried that when he did the rear drums in the spring. Helped for a lil while, but didn't really solve the prob. I think the cables are streched so i'm more concerned about anything i might need to know ahead of time before i change them.
It sounds like you may need cables but I would have to see it to tell you for sure....I live in Hamilton as well and do some work on the side at home....I'm a mechanic..
WD-40 will dry out after awhile. Try using a good lubricant like the Krown stuff (KL73 I think). You can get it at Home Hardware.

WD-40 is great, but it's not a long term lube, more of a penetrant. If it worked for awhile, then stopped, probably it dried out.

Ryan
Ebrake cables arent that much money and there easy to do. hardest thing i found with mine was the heat shield. id just replace them and get it done with.
Being that i just don't seem to have the time these days, its going to the mechanics on friday to have them changed.
the nice thing with the focus is that it not only has the cable from the ebrake back, but has 2 short cables, maybe 18 inches long, one to each wheel. As for pricing, I think whe i changed mine, it cost 15 a piece.
Well got the car back today, needless to say i wish i had had the time to do it myself. Woulda been far cheaper. Oh well the cost to have time to do other things i guess.