FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Gonna Lower It
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've decided to take the advice of several of you and lower my ZX5 after the new wheels and tires are installed this weekend.
So now I have more questions and I really appreciate all the advice I have gotten here.
First, how much should I lower it? 1.5 inches? 2? Something else?
Second, I don't know if the original shocks and struts have ever been replaced. (Currently 115,000k) I don't notice any obvious problems with them.
Should I replace just the springs, or springs, shocks and struts?
And please, brand and model recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
What has been your experience with doing this?
Thanks for all the help!
Yes, Id replace everything, especially at 115K.

The SVt kit will lower you .5-1". Spring/Shocks/Strut Kit

My FK kit dropped me down to 1,.5" Id say Spring/shock/Strut kit

Theres the Sean hyland Motorsport kit. Dont know how much it slams ya, but its a Roll bar/Spring/and shock kit.

Eibach Sportline or Prokit, the prokit will lower you anywhere in the 1"1.5" range, Sportline will get you anywhere in the 2"-2.5" range. You can buy Eibach Shocks/struts also.

I'm very happy with my FK kit, i was riding eibach before. I've also heard a lot of good stuff about the SHM kit to.
Fader,Oct 18 2006, 10:17 AM Wrote:I've decided to take the advice of several of you and lower my ZX5 after the new wheels and tires are installed this weekend.
[right][snapback]212163[/snapback][/right]

I'm glad you asked this question because it's something I've been thinking about for the new wagon and I'm not sure which way to go.

Other than the brands mentioned above, I've also seen a set from HR which is supposedly a good brand from Germany.

FYI - I've found the info at http://www.batinc.net to be really helpful, and they have a good price on the SVT kit (unfortunately not for wagons) ... good luck.
After you do lower it, get an alignment to make sure everythign is still in spec.
Personally I've got FK coilovers and they've been great. Both Hardkore and I have the same kit, and its really nice. How much of a drop you do is really personal preference. My car is down about an 1" max, I might go a lil bit lower, but I'd say about 1.5"

If you're gonna drop it, you might aswell change the shocks/struts at the same time, the stock shocks/struts won't last long with lowering springs.

And as flow said, an alignment is a must after you drop the car, unless you enjoy chewing up tires.
I should have asked this in the original post.

Since the new rims and tires are the same size as what came from the factory...
16inch 205/50
If I were to drop it 1.5 inches would I have any clearance problems?
Fader,Oct 18 2006, 12:09 PM Wrote:I should have asked this in the original post.

Since the new rims and tires are the same size as what came from the factory...
16inch 205/50
If I were to drop it 1.5 inches would I have any clearance problems?
[right][snapback]212203[/snapback][/right]

no and yes....

my car is lowered maybve 1-1.5" and I still have to be careful when entering some parking lots with high curbs, or speed bumps. The body kit doent help either.

If I can get by with it, im sure you can.
Flofocus,Oct 18 2006, 12:20 PM Wrote:my car is lowered maybve 1-1.5" and I still have to be careful when entering some parking lots with high curbs, or speed bumps.  The body kit doent help either.

If I can get by with it, im sure you can.
[right][snapback]212206[/snapback][/right]

Im drop with the Eibach Sportline with a body kit....you should see my body kit! Ask Flofocus he saw it...
Quote:Im drop with the Eibach Sportline with a body kit....you should see my body kit!  Ask Flofocus he saw it...
[right][snapback]212213[/snapback][/right]

Post a pic.
if ur gonna drive your Focus in the winter...i'd lower it in the spring ....who know how bad this winter is gonna be...thats what im gonna do....im just like you right now trying to collect as much info about the suspession....

but yea sportline springs with YKBG struts (<<not sure how exectly they are called, please fix me up) suppose to be pretty good....and you can pick them up on ebay for an alright price.....

p.s. most people go with a drop of 1.5" some go with 2"

Fader,Oct 18 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:
Quote:Im drop with the Eibach Sportline with a body kit....you should see my body kit!  Ask Flofocus he saw it...

Post a pic.
[right][snapback]212216[/snapback][/right]

you DONT want to be as low as focusonthis.
Fader,Oct 18 2006, 12:48 PM Wrote:

Post a pic.
[right][snapback]212216[/snapback][/right]

[Image: IM000112.jpg]

Very nice, thanks for posting it.
well here is a good pic of a 1.5 drop it's really old... but yeah I never had a problem with clearance unless it was with the body kit on the car, and going up a small ramp into parking lots.

[Image: CopyofMyNewFocusSedan.jpg]
I had the Eibach Pro Kit on my wagon and it dropped it quite nicely with the stock rim/tire combo. My wife never complained about it bottoming out or rubbing at all.

I would recommend replacing both struts/shocks at the same time as installing new springs. That way you only have to do the job once!

My old wagon kit is still available too guys!! :lol:

~ Clutch
I'm lowered about 1.5" on FK springs and stock shocks.. after a couple years my shocks are done and need to be replaced. If you've already got that many km on your car you might as well change them at the same time.

As far as how much you should lower it depends on where/how you drive and what look you're going for. I drive my car in Saskatchewan winters and haven't had a problem with the 1.5" drop but I definitely wouldnt want to be any lower.
What are you planning on doing with the car ? Are you looking for performance or asthetics ? Performance wise , the more you spend the better. The setup I use consists of Koni Sport Yellow's that are adjustable. The set can be found for a very reasonable price , (probably around 600-800 bucks ) and a set of apex springs that drop the car a little over 2 " , i dont have problems with hitting things however im careful about it , no speeding into driveways anymore and plazas etc, also ill avoid potholes speed bumps and etc. The car looks fantastic with this drop and personally i dont think that 2 " is alot, the car works well for ME. IMHO , the stock struts and springs are pretty much garbage. I would consider swapping out for 2" drop H&R race springs, but other than that the apex are fine for now.

Something budget would be basically to get just some lowering springs and a new set of struts and shocks. That way if you just want the car to sit lower and look low , then problem solved.

Probably the best idea is to go with a coilover kit in the front and a normal shock/spring setup in the rear, while keeping in mind to get a spring in the rear that will best suit your intended ride height with the front strut coilover. I say this because the rear of the car really doenst benifit much at all from coilovers infact it re-arranges the suspension setup in the rear in a way it was totally not designed to do, and places load in places in ways that they were not designed to do.

Thats my 2 cents, just remember to keep in mind the end goal of what you want to see happen with your car and take it from there :D
Mike,Oct 18 2006, 08:36 PM Wrote:What are you planning on doing with the car ? Are you looking for performance or asthetics ? Performance wise , the more you spend the better. The setup I use consists of Koni Sport Yellow's that are adjustable. The set can be found for a very reasonable price , (probably around 600-800 bucks ) and a set of apex springs that drop the car a little over 2 " , i dont have problems with hitting things however im careful about it , no speeding into driveways anymore and plazas etc, also ill avoid potholes speed bumps and etc. The car looks fantastic with this drop and personally i dont think that 2 " is alot, the car works well for ME.  IMHO , the stock struts and springs are pretty much garbage.  I would consider swapping out for 2" drop H&R race springs, but other than that the apex are fine for now.

Something budget would be basically to get just some lowering springs and a new set of struts and shocks. That way if you just want the car to sit lower and look low , then problem solved.

Probably the best idea is to go with a coilover kit in the front and a normal shock/spring setup in the rear, while keeping in mind to get a spring in the rear that will best suit your intended ride height with the front strut coilover.  I say this because the rear of the car really doenst benifit much at all from coilovers infact it re-arranges the suspension setup in the rear in a way it was totally not designed to do, and places load in places in ways that they were not designed to do.

Thats my 2 cents, just remember to keep in mind the end goal of what you want to see happen with your car and take it from there :D
[right][snapback]212404[/snapback][/right]

I appreciate your two cents...thank you.
I'm really more interested in show than go. Just want it to look good with the new wheels and tires and get rid of some of that huge gap.

Fader,Oct 19 2006, 04:05 AM Wrote:
Mike,Oct 18 2006, 08:36 PM Wrote:What are you planning on doing with the car ? Are you looking for performance or asthetics ? Performance wise , the more you spend the better. The setup I use consists of Koni Sport Yellow's that are adjustable. The set can be found for a very reasonable price , (probably around 600-800 bucks ) and a set of apex springs that drop the car a little over 2 " , i dont have problems with hitting things however im careful about it , no speeding into driveways anymore and plazas etc, also ill avoid potholes speed bumps and etc. The car looks fantastic with this drop and personally i dont think that 2 " is alot, the car works well for ME.  IMHO , the stock struts and springs are pretty much garbage.  I would consider swapping out for 2" drop H&R race springs, but other than that the apex are fine for now.

Probably the best idea is to go with a coilover kit in the front and a normal shock/spring setup in the rear, while keeping in mind to get a spring in the rear that will best suit your intended ride height with the front strut coilover.  I say this because the rear of the car really doenst benifit much at all from coilovers infact it re-arranges the suspension setup in the rear in a way it was totally not designed to do, and places load in places in ways that they were not designed to do.

[right][snapback]212404[/snapback][/right]

I appreciate your two cents...thank you.
I'm really more interested in show than go. Just want it to look good with the new wheels and tires and get rid of some of that huge gap.
[right][snapback]212466[/snapback][/right]

2 inch drop with 17 inch rims...

[Image: Picture013.jpg]