FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Should I Install It Myself?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
should i install header and flex myself?

how hard is it? any spesific tools that i will need?

or should i go to some shop? which i know they r gonna charge me up my a#$%!

pretty much anyone who's experienced with this need ur advice

thanks
like i told you the other day, you dont really need any special tools other than a O2 sensor socket(not required but ur gonna have to reaf on it to get it out) and large open ended wrench for the the EGR bung 1" or 1 1/4" i think.

you might also wanna have an oxy-acetalene torch to cut off the bolts and to heat the EGR bung and O2 sensor(***be careful to only heat the pipe and not the sensor***)

when i did mine it was on a hoist, so that helped alot, but you said you were gonna do it in ur friends shop so you should have everything you need.

its not that hard but can take some time if things dont cooperate.

I say you should be able to do it yourself
I've done this a fair bit, nothing you can't handle with a standard socket set, jacks and jack stands.

The o2 sensor tool is handy, checkout princess auto, I got a set there for 12 bucks I believe, well worth it, since its tough using a wrench.

For stuck bolts, If you have an angle grinder it should be enough. Just be carefull and it will do the trick. I used this a few times.

Best advice I can say, is same with anything, go over it all and make sure you have all tools, bolts, gaskets, gasket dressing. I would definetly recommend if it doesn't come with new bolts go and buy some new ones as it will make installation much easier.
NikiterZTS,Oct 16 2006, 12:39 PM Wrote:should i install header and flex myself?

how hard is it?    any spesific tools that i will need?

or should i go to some shop? which i know they r gonna charge me up my a#$%!

pretty much anyone who's experienced with this need ur advice

thanks
[right][snapback]211768[/snapback][/right]

I thought exaust system installation was rather affordable no?
It is pretty striaghtforward once you get under there.
Race Header=Easy
Shorty Header=Broken Knuckles For real.
1 1/16th wrench for the egr and the o2 aswell i believe .. and like everyone is saying its pretty striaght forward to do on your own

If your doing a shorty header, don't try and do it without removing the cat ... i tried it that way the first time and it was a total pain in the ass
It's pretty straight forward Nikiter, no big deal, I did it in my drive way on jacks and it only took me 2 hours taking my sweet time (undo bolt, drink a beer) :lol:
ok then...so yea im gonna do it at my buddy's garage....just gotta get my flex now and im good to go
thanks guys