FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: 1st Bad Expereince With Builder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So theyre suppose to pave the driveway this week. When I bought the house I asked about the driveway, they said it was able to fit two cars, but I could pay more for more room (of course). I said no since it holds 2 cars that should be good enuff.

On Tuesday the guy was marking the lines for the driveway. I let him do his s***, then notice that theres still about 2 feet of gravel on each side of the driveway. Ive already done landscaping in the front, so this would look retarded. Measured that space from the garage to the end of the driveway, calculalte about 95 Sq/ft of more paving to do....not much right. Plus, no way this is fitting 2 cars.

I call and ask the builder how much to cover the extra gravel since it will save him money in the long run. I was told that anything sticking out after, theyd send a guy to dig up and put top soil and sod. f*** that I was trying to save this builder some money so they WOULDNT have to send somebody back again.

They want $1200 to cover the rest of the 95Sq/ft. :blink: :blink: :blink:
You got hosed.

Do you have any official drawings that show the actual area to be paved? If you don't, it's a real dog's breakfast figuring out what area should have been paved.

Also, it's a matter of who's screwing you - the builder, or the contractor showing up who was already paid a set amount and now he's doing less work and making more profit?
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 12 2006, 08:59 AM Wrote:You got hosed.

[right][snapback]211269[/snapback][/right]

No, Im not paying that, then I would have been hosed.

I'm checking the plans, but no where does it say my driveway is only gonna get paved 12feet wide. The garage and teh driveway were my main questions when I went to pick out my materials & colors. Youd think they would have told me it was gonna only be 12" wide. Nobody on this street has a 12ft driveway.

Anybody know if I could get another company to come in and finsih the job after? If not, Im gonna price out some interlock stone and see how much that would be.
You may also want to talk with the paving guy, slip him a few bucks and maybe he'll just do whatever you want. Actually if you had just gone and spoke with him he would have probably just moved the line over.

When the city did our streets we just went out and told the guy marking the lines if he could move over a few feet to cover up the gravel, without hesitation he just did it.....

Not sure how the paving industry works if they need to account 100% for all product but i'm sure they got some extra and to do that little bit probably wouldn't hurt anything if it puts a couple cases of beer in someones truck for the weekend.
Flofocus,Oct 12 2006, 08:48 AM Wrote:So theyre suppose to pave the driveway this week.  When I bought the house I asked about the driveway, they said it was able to fit two cars, but I could pay more for more room (of course).  I said no since it holds 2 cars that should be good enuff.

On Tuesday the guy was marking the lines for the driveway.  I let him do his s***, then notice that theres still about 2 feet of gravel on each side of the driveway.  Ive already done landscaping in the front, so this would look retarded.  Measured that space from the garage to the end of the driveway, calculalte about 95 Sq/ft of more paving to do....not much right.  Plus, no way this is fitting 2 cars.

I call and ask the builder how much to cover the extra gravel since it will save him money in the long run.  I was told that anything sticking out after, theyd send a guy to dig up and put top soil and sod.  f*** that I was trying to save this builder some money so they WOULDNT have to send somebody back again.

They want $1200 to cover the rest of the 95Sq/ft. :blink:  :blink:  :blink:
[right][snapback]211268[/snapback][/right]

My dad went through the same s***.

Wait until they come to do your driveway.

Have a box of Submarine sandwiches and a case of beer waiting for them.

They'll do it.

Ask nice and grease the fella pouring the blacktop.

Works EVERY time.
Thats what Im thinking of doin Kev. Now I just have to wait for this stoopid rain to end.
Trust me.

These guys make a FORTUNE off of under the table deals.

My dad had the property grated extra.
Extra outlets
Trenches dug for inground water
Wider driveway
Potlights roughed in under the eavestroughs etc....

All done with under-the-table money.