FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Bigger Rims Do...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, as I was warned by my dad...bigger (wider) wheels and tires will make stock chasis and suspension bits wear out faster than normal, and now I know that he might be right. Both rear wheel bearings are shot, and the right front center bearing is worn out too. Going to cost me around $500-$550 taxes and labour included. I actually have to take my dads car or the truck back up to pet tonight, and leave the car here in Brantford because of it.

I really can't complain as this is only the 2nd time I've had my car in the shop for any actual repairs since I've owned it. For 6 fiscal years old now, it's been pretty bullettproof, and I drive the car pretty hard most of the time.

Just figured I'd mention this as an indication on how tough/reliable these cars can be if you're lucky enough to find/buy a solid one.

On a sidenote, I just drove and 07 Lincoln MKZ this afternoon, and I drove an 04 LS V6 on Friday...think I might buy an LS for my next car...VERY impressive vehicle (as is the MKZ, but it's almost 50K with all the options, and the LS can be had for around 20K or so used).

L8tr
please explain how this is possible....
we have been putting larger diameter and width rims and tires on many cars for many years without premature failure of parts associated with the suspension.

The bearings have NOTHING to do with rim size.

I went through MORE bearings when I was runnig stock wheels than when I was running 17s. :blink:
freinde of mine traded in his prelude for the LS, he loves it! Beautiful interior...
curious, im running on stock 16" rims and 205 width tires. Is going up to 17" wit h 215 or 225 tires really going to make that much difference? How many pounds more are we really talking about ?

Had to leave the car at the shop last night, and take my parents car back up here to Pet...The front rotors and pads were shot, as well as the parking brake cable...so now I'm going to be into $1000-$1200 territory with my cars current visit to the shop.

My dad and other people have always found that cars tend to wear out tie-rod ends, and balljoints faster with wider rims and tires. Whether or not it's factual, I don't know. Just seems like things do wear out faster, if only by a small amount.

Have to drive the Pesky Topaz again back down tommorow night...I hate the fact that it's a 93 V6, and it's a lot more powerful than my car at certain speeds...lol...guess that's attributed to it's larger amount of torque...

The MKZ was nice, but I'd rather buy an LS V8 used for half the price...
lol
chances are the premature wear out is not cuase by the new parts but by the tool behind the wheel in those "cases". :P
people tend to drive differently with wider rims and tires and thus are usually HARDER on the rest of the car.
i have 80,000+km on my car with all sorts of different sized rims and tires and i raced this thing...no bearing failurs here... :dunno:

sounds like a lot of hear-say to me, but i could be wrong and would be happy to say i was if someone can prove such issues.
Got the car back, and the steering feels better and more precise with that center bearing replaced. The car also feels slighty faster now without the rear end being partially seized...lol...

Oh yeah, and after spending $1100 + bux on the car, I scratched and won a multi-bit screwdriver and was entered to win a Fusion...then I took the car to my GF's place in east york, and someone gave me some fresh new dents in my left fender now...people see a shiny/well taken care of car, and just HAVE to hit it with something...
holy quad post!

I've done each rear bearing now, done the left front bearing twice also....and no I dont use a pressure washer on my wheels.