FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Timing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok all, I need to do my timing. She's been pinking for a while now, and I just have not had the free time to do it. Managed to get an oil/filters change done this w/end, and the timing is next.

So, a few questions.....

Is there anything special I need to know for this? I have a 2000 SPI (2.0L of course). Are there any weird things to look out for?

Also, can I use a standard timing light...you know, the ones that look like a flashlight and just plug in to #1 sparkplug lead? I have owned many 'older' cars, and have done timing on all of them myself, so this is not new to me, but the system is a LOT more electronic on this car.

Also, does anyone know the specs for it? Like how many degrees BTDC etc etc...or is there a link to the spec anywhere?

Thanks for all and any help :)

Scorp.
umm as far as i know, unless i've been missing something in the past 5-10 years, the timing can not be adjusted on your car but simply hooking up a timing light and turning the distrubuter a couple degrees because 1) you run coil packs and not a distrubuter, and 2) the timming is controlled by the computer which means you'd need to get a chip/flasher

your ticking could also be due to noisy injecters so maybe just try running some cleaner through the fuel system to clean them out a bit .. short of that youd be into a valve job
If you are indeed pinging you quite possibly have a dirty/faulty MAF sensor or an air leak after the MAF or a plugged injector causing a lean condition.

AFAIK you cannot adjust your timing without a flasher.