FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: So I Ordered A New Laptop..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My current one is getting sort of dated, and lags behind playing games and whatnot. Went with a Dell this time, was the most bang for the buck I could get. Its definately not for portability, I rarely move the laptop from the table near my couch.

My current:
HP, 15" screen, 40 gig drive, Athlon 2500+, 512 megs ram, and lousy ATI radeon w/ 64 megs shared video memory.

Here is the new one I just ordered up:

Dell Inspiron e1705
-17" Widescreen (1440x900)
-Intel Core Duo (1.73Ghz)
-Windows Media Edition whatever.. that'll be going away, replaced with XP Pro/Linux
-1Gig Dual-channel DDR2 RAM (553Mhz)
-120 Gig sata drive
-256Meg Radeon 1400X Video
-8x CD/dual-layer DVD burner
-Soundblaster Audigy
-Bluetooth enabled (doubt i'll ever use it, but for the $20, hell with it, why not?)
-5-in-1 media card reader (no more hooking up the camera to get pictures woop!)
-Express card slot (that i'll probably never use)

+20% coupon for Inspirons over $999 ... horray for couponmountain.com (Knocked $247 off the price)

With tax.. $1075US

Free overnight shipping too, that was quite a nice little surprise as opposed to the 3-5 day shipping.

Think I did pretty good. I was on most websites building/configuring laptops all week, and nothing could come close to this price, they were all $300-400 higher.

Best part, from what I was able to dig up, is that the CPU, video, and memory are all upgradable down the road.
You did get wireless G right? Never buy a laptop without it.
Oh yeah, wireless a/b/g included!
Looks like a pretty good buy for you. Nice pick up.
Not a bad deal!

I built basically the same laptop, but with the 2.0GHz Core Duo processor, XP Pro and MS Office 2003 Small Business Edition for my brother-in-law. After adding in a 4 year, Next Business Day warranty with Complete Care, it came to about $1700 CDN. Not bad if you do the CDN-->USD conversion.
Sweet setup! HP laptops are crap anyway, glad to see you steered away from them.
thats the dell i have, great computer! No complaints.

I got a deal myself, but i had to buy 2-27" televisions to get mine, lol.
wanna sell your old laptop?