FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Got A New Lens Today For The D50
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So we're out, taking advantage of Black's price guarantee (we got $57 back on the cost of the D50 because it dropped in price last month) and I figure "what the hell" - I bought a 70-300mm Nikon lens.

Sure, it burned up the cash-back offering, but hey - it's a sweet lens!

It's "only" a G lens, not the ED series, but damn it takes nice shots!

After the cash-back was applied to the cost of the lens, it was cheaper than a Sigma 55-200mm lens. Not a bad deal in my books!

Pics: http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b322/log...mx/Fall%202006/

Some with the stock 18-55m lens, some with the 70-300mm lens. :)
I have a few nice lens for my film based Nikon. Could I buy a digital Nikon body and take advantage of my inventory of lens?
dBlast,Oct 7 2006, 07:25 PM Wrote:I have a few nice lens for my film based Nikon.  Could I buy a digital Nikon body and take advantage of my inventory of lens?
[right][snapback]210588[/snapback][/right]
no.
meford4u,Oct 7 2006, 10:20 PM Wrote:
dBlast,Oct 7 2006, 07:25 PM Wrote:I have a few nice lens for my film based Nikon.  Could I buy a digital Nikon body and take advantage of my inventory of lens?
no.
[right][snapback]210603[/snapback][/right]

A better answer would be "maybe".

What film body do you have?

Ryan
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 7 2006, 04:19 PM Wrote:Pics to come shortly this weekend. :)
[right][snapback]210574[/snapback][/right]

Ok, it's shortly... Where are the pics? :lol:

I look forward to seeing what you can do with that "only" a G lens. :P

Ryan
reldridge,Oct 8 2006, 08:29 AM Wrote:
meford4u,Oct 7 2006, 10:20 PM Wrote:
no.
[right][snapback]210603[/snapback][/right]

A better answer would be "maybe".

What film body do you have?

Ryan
[right][snapback]210614[/snapback][/right]

Nikon F65
Sorry Vince, I missed your reply :)

I'm checking this out for you right now.

What are the model numbers of the lenses you currently own? What DSLR are you looking at getting?

VR lens compatibility: http://help.nikon.ca/cgi-bin/nikoncanada.c...li=&p_topview=1

All Nikon Help topics for the categories Film SLR --> F65 --> Compatibility

http://help.nikon.ca/cgi-bin/nikoncanada.c...&p_sort_by=dflt
I wasn't really looking just yet. I was just curious if it was at all possible. It is a shame to have all of this film gear just sitting around. Since I got the compact digital camera, I've gotten used to the convenience of digital and I forget about fully featured SLR film camera.

I was on a product photo shoot and I remembered the professional photographer talking about how he had different bodies for the the same lenses. A polaroid body for test shots, a digital body for manipulation, and a film body for the final shot.

I often see Nikon SLR cameras (and now DSLR cameras) being sold without lenses and wondered if it was because the lenses were compatible or if it was just to achieve a lower advertising price point.
It's largely the first one.

You can buy most DSLRs without lenses to take advantage of any lenses you might have for film SLRs.

For instance, the 10.2MP D80 sells for about $1160 CDN, and for about $1550-1590 CDN with one of two lens / battery and charger packages. They'll advertise the $1160 variant, but they'll always note that it's a body-only item.

The 6.1MP D50 is down to $799 now at Black's, actually, and it's a hell of a value if your lenses are compatible.