FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Seat Belt Alarm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this will irritate some but I tend to believe in the freedom to go to hell in my own way.

Can anybody tell me how to disable the drivers side seat belt alarm on my 2002 ZX5? I found a connector under the seat but disconnecting that diabled the air bag and had no effect on the seat belt alarm which is the most distracting I have ever seen on a car.

Any help would be appreciated.
Read your manual. it tells you how to disable the chime.

its pretty simple task and you don't have to unplug any wires.

theres a big black box by your fuse panel that makes all the noises for keys, doors, seat belts, etc.

if you take the out, it should stop the dinging noise you hate so much
http://www.focushacks.com Wrote:Hack Name: Seat Belt Minder Disable (Printer Friendly Version)
Type: Miscellaneous
Description:
Tired of the seat belt chime activating while you're sitting in the car waiting for someone? The ford owners manual tells all. Here's how to disable it.

How To Do It!
Time Required:
5 minutes
Tools Needed:

Hands
Keys
Lots of patience
Procedure:

The Belt Minder is the electronic warning system to remind you to use your safety belt system. It's a combination of a sounding chime and the illuminating warning light on your instrument panel. By default, the Belt Minder is active. When active, if the driver's safety belt is not buckled in about 5 seconds from the time the warning light has turned off, the warning light will again illuminate and the alarm chime will sound for 6 seconds, repeating itself every 30 seconds for the next 5 minutes, or until you buckle your seat belt.
You can De-Activate the Belt Minder two ways. First, you can deactivate it temporarily for your current "run cycle", that is after you have started your car and it's still running. Second, you completely deactivate the Belt Minder so that it never reminds you again, or at least until your reactivate it...

The first method, temporary deactivation, or one time disable: After you have started your vehicle, buckle and then un-buckle your safety belt. Be sure to buckle back up.... This will disable the Belt Minder only for that ignition cycle.

The second method, permanent deactivation: Before starting, make sure that:

The partking brake is set.
The car is in Park(automatic), Neutral(manual).
The ignition is OFF.
All doors are closed.
The driver's safety belt is un-buckled.
The parking and headlights are OFF.

1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!
3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.
6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.

Article Added By:
axon
euro_zx5,Oct 7 2006, 10:01 AM Wrote:
http://www.focushacks.com Wrote:Hack Name: Seat Belt Minder Disable 
Article Added By:
axon
[right][snapback]210550[/snapback][/right]

Felling a little sheepish that I didn't check the manual.

Thank you.

Fader
Anytime. :) And yes, it is in the manual.
Just did the steps in my car and it works.....I like how Ford assists us in breaking the law. (turn off the alarm that reminds us)

I just hate the alarm for when I get out of the car and the gf bitches at me for the alarm going off. (no more bitch) THANK YOU FORD CANADA
PIGEON1,Oct 12 2006, 11:44 AM Wrote:Just did the steps in my car and it works.....I like how Ford assists us in breaking the law. (turn off the alarm that reminds us)

I just hate the alarm for when I get out of the car and the gf bitches at me for the alarm going off. (no more bitch)  THANK YOU FORD CANADA
[right][snapback]211345[/snapback][/right]

As far as I know there is no law requiring that there be an audible alarm for seatbelts that aren't fastened (At least a cursory review of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act doesn't reveal such a beast) All the law requires is that the seatbelt mechanism be there and that people use it.

NefCanuck
No, I know theres no law about the alarm, but the alarm reminds the driver that he is breaking the law cause it goes off when they're NOT wearing the belt.

I just never thought a manufacturer would get rid of that option with the buckling/unbuckling headlight sequence. (just never seen a car do that before.)
PIGEON1,Oct 16 2006, 07:39 AM Wrote:No, I know theres no law about the alarm, but the alarm reminds the driver that he is breaking the law cause it goes off when they're NOT wearing the belt.

I just never thought a manufacturer would get rid of that option with the buckling/unbuckling headlight sequence. (just never seen a car do that before.)
[right][snapback]211729[/snapback][/right]

It's sort of like the service lights that some car makers install in an attempt to get you to go back to the dealer for routine maintenance. A co-worker had one of those damn things on a '02 Accord Coupe and asked me to help her defeat it as she would rather service the car at a private garage that she deals with...

You can do it, but if you do it the way that the manual tells you to, you need three hands to pull it off :blink:

NefCanuck