FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Overclocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What i have:

Intel 640 3.2 running on a Asus P5ND2-SLI

I started overclocking the CPU a little... Im using the Asus AI program.

I OC the CPU by 5%
This Got me 3.36Ghz from 3.2 and 840FSB from 800, My CPU temp right now is 45' with no load.

Let me know what you think.

Should i look into a better Cooler, If so What?
Thats going to be pretty toasty once you put a load on that thing. You still have quite a bit of room to "grow" too.

what kind of fans are you running?

Stock Specs on my machine:
Abit IC7-Max3 motherboard (800Mhz FSB)
P4 2.4c CPU
1Gig Giel PC-4200 DDR Ram
MSI Geforce 5900Ultra

Its currently running (if I remember correctly, I haven't tweaked it in over a year): 3Ghz, 1Ghz FSB. I had the video card overclocked for a while, but it got a little flaky, so its back to normal now.

Make sure your northbridge is cooled adequately as well, or you could be in for a world of hurt.

I'm seriously thinking of water cooling the whole thing just for piece of mind, as much as it goes against everything I've learned about putting a liquid inside of a computer. Something along the lines of a Koolance EXOS-2 (External cooler), and then all the piping and blocks, depending on your cpu/video card/etc.
Cooling:

Case:
TT Armor 2

Coolmaster 80mm cpu(gunna upgrade)

2 120s in the front Blowing in.
1 120 sucking out from the back
1 90 sucking out the back
1 90 sucking out the top
1 25CM blowing in the side.

I think my Issue is the 2 6800 Ultras... those get toasty, Got 2 7900 GTX By monday.

Also really thinking about a better CPU cooler.
Case really makes a big difference.

My stock specs are an Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2ghz.

Right now its running 2.63ghz but can easily hit 2.7.

I had a case that had s*** cooling, now I got this

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=NZXT

Temps were about 50 Load before the new case, now at load it is in the upper 30's.

The cooler I use is an Artic Cooling Freezer 64 heatpipe cooler.

If you don't have an aftermarket cooling solution, I highly recommend getting one. Stick to either Arctic Cooling, Thermaltake or Thermalright.

Oscar The Grouch,Oct 5 2006, 09:34 PM Wrote:Stick to either Arctic Cooling, Thermaltake or Thermalright.
[right][snapback]210360[/snapback][/right]

Don't even consider Thermaltake! Basically, all show no go with their sinks. Zalman, Vantec and Coolermaster are also a great choices.
Zalman are pretty good. Don't bother with the 9500, just get a 7700. The 9500 isn't as good as the 7700s. It'll cool better at lower fan speeds, but at the highest setting it doesn't cool as well. And at all settings it's pretty darn quiet.

I've got Zalmans on all of my newer machines, and they're all overclocked to some degree.

Athlon XP 2500+ @ 2.2 GHz (~20% OC)*
Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.4 GHz (20% OC)**
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.72 GHz (~27% OC)***
Dual Opteron 246 @ stock 2.0 GHz
ATI X800GT @ 621 MHz (~27% OC)

All run about 40-45C under full load.

* Locked, wont OC any better
** Motherboard restricts, clockgen can get me higher without problems
*** RAM restricted, is my Dads PC and he didn't want to spend the money on performance RAM. These C2D chips will OC like hell, that one is even undervolted by 0.05v.

Edit: You have a 25 cm fan blowing in the side and you have temps that high still? what's it blowing on? is it a heater? :P
euro_zx5,Oct 6 2006, 12:03 AM Wrote:Don't even consider Thermaltake! Basically, all show no go with their sinks.
[right][snapback]210377[/snapback][/right]

Thermaltake uses all copper (or copper core) bases, thin fin or heatpipe designs, and most units use fans that do over 70cfm at full load (80mm fans).

You can't get much better than that cept using a thermalright XP-120 coupled with a nice Panaflo 120mm fan pushing 110cfm. That is the ultimate in air cooling.
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 6 2006, 08:46 AM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Oct 6 2006, 12:03 AM Wrote:Don't even consider Thermaltake! Basically, all show no go with their sinks.
[right][snapback]210377[/snapback][/right]

Thermaltake uses all copper (or copper core) bases, thin fin or heatpipe designs, and most units use fans that do over 70cfm at full load (80mm fans).

You can't get much better than that cept using a thermalright XP-120 coupled with a nice Panaflo 120mm fan pushing 110cfm. That is the ultimate in air cooling.
[right][snapback]210395[/snapback][/right]

I know, and it seems all fine and dandy... but unless they've seriously improved their designs in the past year or so, I haven't heard of a good Thermaltake cooler worth buying. I always heard amazing thins about Zalman, and picked up my current Zalman 'flower' cooler at a tradeshow in tdot a few years ago... love it! My ambient temp is higher than the processor temp, always! :lol:
There's ZERO wrong with Thermaltake coolers, especially if you go all-copper. My no-overvolt Opteron 170 @ 2.2GHz idles at 27-28C (real CPU internal sensor reported by SpeedFan) and both cores loaded sits @ 43-45C.

I've got a Raidmax Smilodon, 2 x 80mm intakes in left panel, 1 x 80mm right panel intake into 5.25" bays, 1 x 120mm front intake blowing over 3.5" bays (with 3 SATA HDs populating slots), 1 x 80mm high-speed, 60+ CFM exhaust fan at rear.

I may reverse the 80mm intake on the right panel to make it an exhaust and balance the pressure out a bit more, but given how cool it runs, I'm not concerned.

You DO realize you'd have condensation on the CPU if your CPU idle temp was cooler than ambient, right? :huh:
NOS2Go4Me,Oct 6 2006, 10:34 AM Wrote:There's ZERO wrong with Thermaltake coolers, especially if you go all-copper. My no-overvolt Opteron 170 @ 2.2GHz idles at 27-28C (real CPU internal sensor reported by SpeedFan) and both cores loaded sits @ 43-45C.

I've got a Raidmax Smilodon, 2 x 80mm intakes in left panel, 1 x 80mm right panel intake into 5.25" bays, 1 x 120mm front intake blowing over 3.5" bays (with 3 SATA HDs populating slots), 1 x 80mm high-speed, 60+ CFM exhaust fan at rear.

I may reverse the 80mm intake on the right panel to make it an exhaust and balance the pressure out a bit more, but given how cool it runs, I'm not concerned.

You DO realize you'd have condensation on the CPU if your CPU idle temp was cooler than ambient, right? :huh:
[right][snapback]210418[/snapback][/right]

I've been running this setup for over two years now. No problem, and no condensation.
I think thermaltake has improved a bit recently. They are just buying other peoples designs anyway (I think). I found their cases to be all flashy and never really that good at airflow, but I've only delt with 2. And the heatsink/fan combos were always way louder than they needed to be.

That said, I do have 2 thermaltake heatsink/fans that works really well at "28 dB" not sure of the real dB level but they're quiet.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...2_silent_boost/

That's the one. One is on a 1.0 GHz t-bird @ 1.4 GHz, and the other is on a 2400+ no OC. Works well enough. But it's an old design and I have it on old processors.

Edit: Fixed the numbers I got wrong.
yeah thermaltake's cases suck. Buddy of mine got one at the same time as I got my Lexa. His is louder, has useless doors, made of steel, and keeps his temps hotter.

Whereas mine is quiet, better cooling, made of aluminum, and comes with this fancy shmancy carrying strap. :D
Thermaltake cases Rock...

Just got 3.5ghz, and 880 FSB, 45c - 61 full load.
Chromey,Oct 9 2006, 09:55 AM Wrote:45c - 61 full load.
[right][snapback]210732[/snapback][/right]

60 is a little too much for my liking. I top 45 C loaded ATM. Hope you get an aftermarket cooler on the CPU ASAP.