FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ht...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Think this may have been asked ages ago, but I'm curious as to what everyone's running for their HT setups these days...

I recently bought "Running Scared" "Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" and "X3, the last stand" and all of them sound awesome on my system, especially in DTS (I think DTS is superior to Dolby Dig because it sounds a little bit more realistic, more intricate sound effects detail, and more balance of volume and sound effects).

My system comprises of the following:

2005 JVC I'Art 30" HDTV 16:9 CRT (at 150+ lbs it's a beast...lol)

2005 JVC XV N512S DVD player running progressive 90% of the time

2006 Marantz SR 7500 THX Certified 7.1 Receiver

2005 Klipsch RB25's (Front L &R)

2005 Klipsch RC25 (Center)

2005 Klipsch RW10 10" Subwoofer

Sega Dreamcast Console

Cogeco digital Cable with TMN movie pack

Technics turntable with a Grace cartridge and tonearm

Monster Cable Component video cables, Digital Coax Cables, speaker cables, and standard RCA interconnects for all.

I am planning to buy some Klipsch RS 25's for my rears, and likely the same for the surround back too...just hard to find them as they are MKIII, and are no longer available from anywhere other than vendors on Ebay.

I like using and American Receiver and American Cabinets as they seem to really shine on all different types of music. They also play to more than enough SPL than I need without distortion.

What does everyone else have?
Nice Setup....

I'm planning to build mine piece by piece.

Currently looking at.

Sony Grand Wega 50" I'd want a SXRD but i came across a sweet deal on the 50" that i might not be able to pass up

If i had a bigger room

Toshiba 72MX196 - mmmm

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.a...66&catid=23250#

Onkyo TX-SR674 or TX-SR803 - 7.1 reciever

Front Speakers
Klipsch RF - 62

Center Channel
Klipsch RC-62

Surround
Klipsch RS-52 x 4 or Klipsch Synergy S-2

Sub
Elemental Designs A5-300

I hope to get this all together by May-June 07

if anyone has any other ideas. I was thinking of looking into paradigm, but i dont know anything about them. or where to find them
My home theater is 2 stock speakers and a tv tube. :lol: Sony WEGA Trinitron 27"!

Next up.... HTPC with a 6.1 setup (4.1 from a Labtec system plus two stock speakers)

After that... probably a Sony 7.1 receiver. NOS will probably post his, mine will be the same. Speakers TBA.
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 5 2006, 05:14 PM Wrote:My home theater is 2 stock speakers and a tv tube. :lol:  Sony WEGA Trinitron 27"!

Next up.... HTPC with a 6.1 setup (4.1 from a Labtec system plus two stock speakers)

After that... probably a Sony 7.1 receiver.  NOS will probably post his, mine will be the same.  Speakers TBA.
[right][snapback]210299[/snapback][/right]

I was thinking of a sony reciever, but i heard their quality is iffy at best.
This Reciever
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fLdX0RxUAnV/c...420&I=158STDG1K

was on sale at the sony store today for 599cdn.

Right now, my setup consists of

Sony Reciever - Circa 1995 (woot dolby pro-logic)
2 sony tower speakers circa 1995

I have a cerwin vega V5c center channel but that was dropped when we were moving (tweeter magnet broke off inside)

and 2 s***ty sony surround speakers.

and a mitsubishi 36" tube tv from 1990. (250 + LBS) moving in, we walked it into a concrete pillar and the concrete cracked...
Sounds good Scooba, however, I myself am not a fan of Paradigm. They are what everyone else has and yes they sound "nice" but I'm not into nice...I want mean, loud, and clean...hence the klipsch cabinets...lol!

In terms of the TV, have you looked at the JVC D-ILA Tv's? Yeah they are a DLP, but they have a LOT more technology than other ones. I've seen one, and I am likely going to get one for my next TV, as they have a picture quite like a CRT (and I still think CRT's have better pictures than plasma or LCD).

Do you have that klipsch stuff, or is that what you are interested in?

scoobasteve,Oct 5 2006, 05:13 PM Wrote:I was thinking of looking into paradigm, but i dont know anything about them. or where to find them
[right][snapback]210298[/snapback][/right]

I've seen their stuff at FutureScrap and BestBuy.
Drivesthebeast,Oct 5 2006, 05:29 PM Wrote:Sounds good Scooba, however, I myself am not a fan of Paradigm.  They are what everyone else has and yes they sound "nice" but I'm not into nice...I want mean, loud, and clean...hence the klipsch cabinets...lol! 

In terms of the TV, have you looked at the JVC D-ILA Tv's?  Yeah they are a DLP, but they have a LOT more technology than other ones.  I've seen one, and I am likely going to get one for my next TV, as they have a picture quite like a CRT (and I still think CRT's have better pictures than plasma or LCD).

Do you have that klipsch stuff, or is that what you are interested in?
[right][snapback]210304[/snapback][/right]

Thats what i'm looking into right now.

I'd really like to get a set of Focal Chorus speakers. But the klipsch stuff is way easier to find and much cheaper...

The focal setup i was looking at was almost $ 5000 in just speakers.

I looked at the D-ILA tv's i like the picture, but right now, i couldnt justify the cost.

Cost per Viewing area is much higher than the other brands.

What i'd really like to get is a Sony SXRD 70" i believe the SXRD uses D-ILA technology.
euro_zx5,Oct 5 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:
scoobasteve,Oct 5 2006, 05:13 PM Wrote:I was thinking of looking into paradigm, but i dont know anything about them. or where to find them

[right][snapback]210305[/snapback][/right]

Which locations. I've never seen paradigm at either of the heartland locations.

However they seem to be carrying velodyne and klipsch synergy now.
scoobasteve,Oct 5 2006, 05:35 PM Wrote:
euro_zx5,Oct 5 2006, 05:30 PM Wrote:

[right][snapback]210305[/snapback][/right]

Which locations. I've never seen paradigm at either of the heartland locations.

However they seem to be carrying velodyne and klipsch synergy now.
[right][snapback]210308[/snapback][/right]

Ancaster, Burlington, Hamilton. Weird, the search brings up nothing relevant. But I swear, I did at one time, see that brand at BestBuy and FutureScrap!
Hmm...

I saw that Comp USA still has stock on those RC-25's
Well I dont have anything special but I like it for my small apartment. It goes loud enough.

TV: RCA Home Theater Premier 32"(2001)

HT: Sony HTDDW870 Home Theatre In a Box feat. 6.1 Channel Stereo Sound and 755 watts Link

DVD: Panasonic DVD S35 Progressive scan.

Play Station 2

Logitech Force Feedback Pro wheel

Monster cable optical/S-video/RCA cables hooking them all together.

Also Hooked my home computer to the receiver to play my music from iTunes
Good choice on the Klipsch. If you get a sub though, there's no point in getting the floorstanding models, as they won't play ANY of the low bass if you use the dedicated sub output on a receiver, and regardless if you tell the receiver they are big.

Haven't heard the Focal stuff, but I HAVE listened to a LOT of speakers of all sizes, shape and price. Some speakers like Totem sound very good, but don't have any balls, and are beyond expensive...the stands alone for the bookshelf ones were $1600+ EACH.

Umm, I myself won't buy any Japanese receivers, as I don't feel they have the same amount of TRUE power that domestic suff has. Yeah, it's great that some have 100-150W per channel RMS, but that's at 6 ohms, 15 or less amps per channel, and at a lot more distortion. My parents bought a used HK AVR25 not too long ago, and it's supposed to be 45watts per chan in surround, and 55 watts per channel in stereo. It BLOWS AWAY the 110 watt per channel kenwood they used to have. It's just as loud, plays bass and fine detail at lower volumes, and it sounds cleaner overall. I used to have some Bowers and Wilkens Speakers with dual 8" woofers in them, and I had bought a Technics receiver that was supposed to be pretty good (it was the flagship for it's year), and it BLEW the voice coils in my speakers because is distorted so much all the time and moderate volumes. I sold it in disgust and had to go and buy some other gear to replace it and my blown speakers.

Still, it'll be cool to hear about what you decide to get...
I currently run an old JVC i'Art 27" with a sony dream system Home-theatre-in-a-box.. not the greatest, but decent enough for the appartment.

I'm saving up for a 50" samsung DLP (1080p) and one day hope to have a MartinLogan setup someday...

I also have:

2006 20" JVC I'Art Component Video Capable TV

2005 JVC XV N412S DVD player

2003 JVC FS J60 Micro System with dual amps, and 5.25" Subs in the 3-way cabinets, and multicolour display, 240 watts total power, etc

Use this setup in my bedroom...
Damn I feel ultra-ghetto with my setup!

Philips 27" ... which doesn't have anything except a coax connector..

cheapo theater-in-a-box.. does the job for me.. I'm by no means an audiophile. I rarely use it except when watching movies.

Xbox
Bro's Gamecube
Super Nintendo (I still like to play super mario sometimes)
Atari 2600 I got for christmas last year

Apex DVD player ... was one of the only ones I could find that would play VCDs and whatnot a few years ago

Sun Ultra5 running a web-based audio program to play mp3s through the stereo.. just point firefox at it, pick my playlist, and away I go. Might go away soon since Tivo can see machines on the network and pull music off them.

...and my baby...

the TIVO! Much love for this toy.

Sony Grand Wega 50" circa 2003 (Still as good as the day I bought it ;))

Kenwood HTiB 507 (Best kept secret at the time in the HTiB market)

JVC progressive scan 7 disk DVD player (Great for running marathon viewing sessions)

PS2

Toshiba stereo 6 head VCR - Old as scrap now hardly use it, will probably get boxed when I go digital TV

NefCanuck
Eventually I'll get this:

Sony 7.1 Receiver HDMI ready

and this:

Speakers

and maybe an LCD TV.
I've got a bunch of stuff, some good, some okay.

But the big grand daddy has been sitting in a box for 12 months as I was going to redo the basement and it was going to be the centrepiece for my sound system

It's a Harmon Cardon amp. Don't ask me what it is. I aint going to look at it as it just depresses me that I can't set it up.

When i move and find some golden rainbow then the dream will come alive.

Until then, me and my Sony 36" XR whatever wide screen are happy in a dark place we call the basement.
Oscar The Grouch,Oct 5 2006, 09:46 PM Wrote:Eventually I'll get this:

Sony 7.1 Receiver HDMI ready

and this:

Speakers

and maybe an LCD TV.
[right][snapback]210361[/snapback][/right]

You know you love that receiver! I've got the same one :D

I've got that and a Pioneer DVD recorder/VHS recorder, as well as Cogeco's HDTV receiver (no record) firing into a 5.0 setup for now - 2 Design Acoustics DAT-1010 towers for the fronts and some Paradigm center and rears (I think they're Paradigm, anyways). I'm going to be migrating to a Sony 7.1 package sometime down the road, likely after Christmas.

My video feed is handled by my Acer PD-120D DLP projector, which hits a 92", 16:9 aspect ratio, carbon fibre-backed manual pulldown screen. it's sweet because you can sit right behind it and NO light comes through. Great for eating in the dining room while others are watching TV :lol:
Panisonic 900U Projector - HDMI - 90" Inch screen
Pioneer 1000 Surround/w powered sub
Xbox 360 Premium - HD cables
Pages: 1 2