FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Has Anybody Fixed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like most of us, my fuel tank heat shield is hanging low. Has anybody reattached, repaired, or replaced the $%%@!^&& thing? My neighbour who drives a Jetta TDI was a little bit upset with me. I think he is worried the shield will fall off and hit his car, as he follows me in to the subdivision from the 401. Does anybody know the cost of a new heat shield? If nodody has repaired it, I'm going to cut it off.

thanks
cut it off and forget about it.
i just cut metal strips like 1.5/2 inches long.. made a hole in the middle.. forced the screws back in.. fixed.. til next time
If I am thinking of the right one, it shields the tank from the exhast, it is $76.75. I guess its all up to you if you feel its worth the money to repalce it or not. I personally would fix it if I could but if not it would be coming off and not getting replaced. The part # should be YS4Z- 54114B06-AB .
not really hard.. just find something thats bigger than the holes in the aluminium and just drill it, screw it back on.. its soft metal so you can play with it too
BerinG,Oct 3 2006, 11:50 AM Wrote:not really hard.. just find something thats bigger than the holes in the aluminium and just drill it, screw it back on.. its soft metal so you can play with it too
[right][snapback]209942[/snapback][/right]
I've put some large washers around the screw a couple of times. The problem is that the metal shield is broken in front of the screw.
snorcus,Oct 3 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:If I am thinking of the right one, it shields the tank from the exhast, it is $76.75. I guess its all up to you if you feel its worth the money to repalce it or not. I personally would fix it if I could but if not it would be coming off and not getting replaced. The part # should be    YS4Z- 54114B06-AB .
[right][snapback]209939[/snapback][/right]
Thanks for the information. I gotta do some thinking on that one.
oldeguy,Oct 3 2006, 02:03 PM Wrote:
BerinG,Oct 3 2006, 11:50 AM Wrote:not really hard.. just find something thats bigger than the holes in the aluminium and just drill it, screw it back on.. its soft metal so you can play with it too
I've put some large washers around the screw a couple of times. The problem is that the metal shield is broken in front of the screw.
[right][snapback]209964[/snapback][/right]

yeah well i guess if you've done something like that before and it broke again then maybe its just too old now.. as you mentioned, large washers are a good for this.. anyway good luck.. i would probably get rid of it if it ended up falling again hehe
just cut it off and call it a day, mines been for a year now with no problems
BerinG,Oct 3 2006, 10:50 AM Wrote:its soft so you can play with it too

To much information. I think it works better when its hard. :lol: