FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Obus Forme Office Chair.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so here is the deal. I have a pre existing back problem. I broke my back in 2 places almost 5 years ago in an at work accident. I have a wedge compression fracture in T9 and L1. I am always uncomfortable and take pain medication to maitain functionality.

In May our office furnature was being replaced and my manager asked if a new chair would make me more comfortable in my work space. We went to Addmore and looked at all of the chairs and I picked out an Obus Forme high back chair which was very supportive for my back and quite comfortable. Until today...

I was in the office early this morning and doing my work and around 20 after 8 the whole chair colapsed on me. I am talking about total failure. This chair is fully adjustable. The seat base has an adjustment for seating angle and the back also adjusts, and all the usual stuff. Hight, arm rest hight, spring tension. But on with my story. I was sitting in it and rolled over to the next desk to discuss an order and on my way back it broke. The seat base snapped from its set position and tipped forward, then the seat back snapped and flipped forward and hit me in the back sending me flying into my desk.

I was stunned at first then my back went in to spasm. I was sent to the doctor and given the rest of the day off. I was perscribed muscle relaxers along with my pain killers and anti inflamitorys. Lets just say that my back has not been in this much pain since my accident 5 years ago. Workers Comp forms are being filed by my office and the doctor. The health and saftey officer is going to contact Obus Forme and Addmore with regard to the chair.

Well that it for my rant. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. I will have to wait and see what they can do to find me a better, safer chair.

Here is a pic of a similar chair. Mine was a bit fancier. Sorry its taken right from the manufacturers web site.
[Image: obus-feature1.jpg]
well that's s***ty.

A sore back is no laughing matter. My brother had surgery 4 years ago and went through hell for 10 years previous.

I have had my share of back pain, but nothing a good trip to the chiro couldn't cure.

Hope it's as easy as a little R&R.
I think I see the problem.

That woman in the pic is supposed to help you push the chair around.

Ahhhhh, just kidding, I hurt my back once, no laughing matter, really.

Hope you get a nice fat cheque from Obus.
Yeah i understand you man.. ive got back problems too.. me its a family thnig.. everyone has back problems
I'm having a whore sent over to help you "relax"

What's you address?
Ok the address is 123 Any St. :lol: I want a nude reverse massage.

But seriously, for a chair made to help people with bad backs to fail like that is VERY serious. I could not believe it. I almost fell right on the floor. I woke up this morning in more pain than I was in yesterday. I hope that someone looks into this problem. I am not a heavy guy and for this to fail on me is unacceptable. I wonder how many other failures this model of chair has had.

Holy mackerel :blink: I've never heard of a chair snapping at the base like that, let alone an Obus Form one :blink:

Hope this didn't do any lasting damage to your back. For now just take it easy, 'cause that's the only thing that will help at this point :(

NefCanuck
I've met you.. you're not fat.

Don't settle for an 'apology' from Obus Forme.... this is something that can seriously mess with your quality of life, and I'd hold them accountable.

I never really understood the whole thing with everyone around me having back problems. I just figured they were wussies.

then I threw my back out working out one day... woke up and had to s***, shower and shave in the fetal position before hobbling my way to work. (I blame the cheesy chairs at the Bell offices).

that's when i realized the importance of good core strength and a decent sitting position.
sue
Well I have always had some sort of back problems mostly caused from being so tall. But almost 5 years ago I was working for a Subaru dealer in the parts department. It was a slow day in Jaruary and they asked me if I wanted to take the parts van to the warehouse to do a drop off and pick up. So being sick of standing around the parts department for hours I said yes. The drop I had to do was return an Impreza AWD transmission to the DC. It was in a very large wooden crate. I was driving in an older Caravan cargo van. The roads were clear and dry and I was not speeding. All of a sudden woman driving a Honda Civic sedan comes out of nowhere and cuts me off.

Not wanting to get into an accident in a company vehicle I slam on the brakes to avoid hitting her, not thinking of the cargo I am carrying. Well doesn't it come sliding forward towards the drivers seat. It impacted with the seat hitting me in the back and ripped the seat off the floor and pushed me into the steering wheel. Well following that was pretty much a blur. All I remember is ambulance, Hospital, x-rays, and and MRI.

To make a long story short I was off on WSIB for 18 months. The dealer ship was held responsible for not providing a safe vehicle, proper tie downs and supervision when the vechicle was loaded. The woman who cut me off was and still is totally unaware that I was hurt as she just continued on her way.

So now I am in pain daily. I take strong pain killers 3 times a day to be able to function normally. I do enjoy life but not as much as I used to. No more day long snowmobile trips, no more water skiing. I really need to be careful with what I do. Some times I get hurt by Jamie climbing on me. She is getting to big to pick up. It will be a sad day when I can't do that anymore.

Well thats why I hurt. Nuff said, I don't want to hurt anymore but thats life.

Pain Sucks. :iono:
Well I was back to work on Friday and I was not my normal self. I am going to be taking it easy for a time. I will keep you all informed on what happens with my chair and what the manufacturer has to say about the defect. But it seems I will be back to my old regularly sore self in no time.
Damn, that sucks. I know what it's like to have back problems. Mine is like a plague, I broke mine when I was 17 playing football, small fractures on 2 vertebrae and a cracked pelvis. Not fun. Friday morning at work I moved a 2 pound support bar for a shelf and pulled a muscle and possibly a tendon as well, just from being slightly off kilter.

I hope this doesn't cause you too much more suffering, I'm sorry to hear about how you can't pick up your kid at times, that sucks, on a way lesser scale I can sympathise, I couldn't even let my best friends dog jump up on me and play with him this morning at her soccer game. It sucks.