FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Do You Think Are The Biggest....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Design flaws of the focus.

For me:

-I always thought the rusty muffler was a problem.

-Brake Dust.

-The dribble the wipers cause on the widshield

-I always thought the brake and gas were too close together.

-The ledge under the lid of the sedan trunk on the bumper. It's a place for dirt to hide and collect.

-Carpeted cowlings in the rear wheel well.

-The passenger door doesn't have the "one click" down for window.

-The slope on the dash makes AFTERMARKET stereo readouts IMPOSSIBLE to see when it's sunny.
i completly agree with gas and brake pedals being to close together...
no factory FI.
^c'mon.

seriously.
I would have to say the windshield wipers too.. always ahd trouble with them, whether they're brand new or old.. rear wiper always worked fine (and better than the fronts)..

As for the gas and brake pedal, i never thought that was a problem.. never noticed... if they're too far you can't "heel and toe" ..even though on the focus, you CAN'T heel and toe as the gas pedal is higher than the brake.. so its more like left of foot, right of foot

Also the One click window down on the passanger.. I have never seen a car that had this feature for the passanger.. its always for the driver since he's driving and to prevent him/her from screwing around with the handle while driving (not paying attention on the road).. the passanger wouldn't need this.. sure it would be a nice feature as a "bonus"

Also the door handle (inside mecanism) freezes sometimes in the winter..
The latches on the trunk and doors seize so easily.
BerinG,Sep 27 2006, 10:03 AM Wrote:As for the gas and brake pedal, i never thought that was a problem.. never noticed... if they're too far you can't "heel and toe" ..even though on the focus, you CAN'T heel and toe as the gas pedal is higher than the brake.. so its more like left of foot, right of foot

[right][snapback]208724[/snapback][/right]

With stock pedals it was very difficult to heel and toe. Aftermarket pedals solve this problem. I have the Steeda pedals and I heel and toe all the time now. The aftermarket gas pedal sits lower and is a little wider at the base so that you can blip the throttle with your heel easier.
Yeah It does get some getting used to but thats like every other car.. i think it works well once you get the hang of it.. as mentioned, i just use both sides of my foot.. anyway.. as for anyone who DOESNT heel and toe (95% of people here) , i can't see how they are too close though..unless its with like snowboard boots or napoleon's moon boots
-That delayed extra sweep of the wipers after you've sprayed washer fluid.

-the 100k mile airbox.. wtf were you thinking? 30lbs of plastic and garbage in my shed now.
Handbrake position. Being an old guy, and driving an automatic, when the armrest is down, it's very difficult to pull on the handbrake, unless you are a contortionist.
My biggest design beef with the Focus that hasn't been mentioned already is the small fuel tank. I mean c'mon 52L and the low fuel light kicks in at 12L left? Do serious city driving and yer hitting the halfway mark in four days <_<

NefCanuck
1. The armrest is in the way of the shifter for MTX...

2. The button for the hatch release never works when I press it (only had it work for girls...lol)

3. The Hatch can't be opened when the vehicle is running

4. The foglights melt inside when using any other bulb than the stock ones, and then they let water in and ruin them. Oh yeah, and they are $100 each...

5. Gear rollover noise in first 3 gears on older model Foci with the MTX

6. Antenna breaks off easily in winter, as it's made with white metal

7. Pull handles for tipping the front seats break off easily too, because they are white metal

8. When fueling up the vehicle, I can fill it until fuel spills down the side of the car...ensuring it IS full, then drive 1/2 km and watch the needle drop an 8th of a tank, and then being able to drive over 75km's on empty...hate the vague guage

9. Blow shifts to 2nd gear more often than I'd like because the gate for 2nd doesn't like to line up when being shifted aggressively..

Besides all of that stuff, I like everything else about the car...nicer designed interior with higher grade plastics, decent stock stereo compared to others, better handling and steering feel out of the box, unique styling that isn't bland or cookie cutter like it's competitors, decent clutch feel and gear shifter operation when the vehicle is newer.

I'm still considering buying another one (sedan) as a daily driver/family vehicle...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 27 2006, 10:41 AM Wrote:6. Antenna breaks off easily in winter, as it's made with white metal

[right][snapback]208747[/snapback][/right]

Forgot about that.
Just thought of another one......

I HATE where the black plastic of the mirrors meets the paint.

It's impossible to Armour All the mirrors without getting it all over the dide of the car.
The rear bumper ledge is a big thing for sure.

My trunk release wiring is sketchy at best.

The fact you always seem to get bad road dirt off the tires no matter what mudflaps you use.

Brake dust could be better.

The overly floaty stock suspension. I always hated the lack of damping over frost heaves, but I never believed that it was THAT bad till I dropped in the S2 suspension. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It's what every base Focus needs, bottom-line.
The rear hatch opens only if the door is unlocked.. or if you use the button on your remote..
torradan,Sep 27 2006, 10:24 AM Wrote:-That delayed extra sweep of the wipers after you've sprayed washer fluid.

-the 100k mile airbox.. wtf were you thinking?  30lbs of plastic and garbage in my shed now.
[right][snapback]208729[/snapback][/right]

Ditto. The wipers are the biggest piss off when that extra sweep comes across, ruining a perfectly clean window! :lol:
ANTHONYD,Sep 27 2006, 10:58 AM Wrote:Just thought of another one......

I HATE where the black plastic of the mirrors meets the paint.

It's impossible to Armour All the mirrors without getting it all over the dide of the car.
[right][snapback]208757[/snapback][/right]

Turtle wax ice polish! C'mon now, armour all, haven't all the horror stories from that stuff scared you (of all meticulous people) away?!
ANTHONYD,Sep 27 2006, 09:54 AM Wrote:^c'mon.

seriously.
[right][snapback]208721[/snapback][/right]

who's joking? Im not.
^It's an entry level POS we all know it.

Grandma doesn't want FI.
Pages: 1 2 3 4