FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ontario Launches Annual Fall Seatbelt Campaign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ontario launches annual fall seatbelt campaign

Toronto, Ontario - Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield has launched Ontario's annual fall seatbelt campaign, which runs until October 8. The campaign reminds all drivers to make sure everyone is buckled up, especially young passengers.

"Since January 1, 1976, when Ontario became the first province in Canada with a mandatory seatbelt law, we have been a leader in North America when it comes to road safety," Cansfield says. "But there is always more we can do. There are 680,000 people who still don't regularly wear a seatbelt."

In 2004, the most recent year for which statistics are available, about one-third of all drivers and passengers killed in motor vehicle collisions on Ontario roads were not wearing seatbelts. Last year, the Ontario government made booster seats mandatory for children under the age of eight who weigh between 18 and 36 kg (40 to 80 lbs) and are less than 145 cm (4 feet, 9 inches) tall. Drivers who fail to use booster or child car seats for young passengers, or who use them incorrectly, face two demerit points, plus a $110 fine.

Yeah i got stopped/checked on friday getting on the 401 @ brock st. in whitby :o thought for sure i was gonna get yanked over for not having my front plate on yet LOL
Anyone who drives in todays world WITHOUT a seatbelt deserves a hefty fine .................. and a punch in the head.
i heard it on the radio the other day....personaly its a habit for me to drive with my seatbelt on, i feel unsafe without one across my shoulder
Anyone dumb enough not to wear one deserves the Darwinism prize they'll eventually receive.
I dunno what stuns me more. The fact that people still refuse to acknowledge that seatbelts save lives or the fact that government has to spend my tax dollars to educate these idiots <_<

Speaking as a survivour of a rollover collision that ejected several loose items in my car through my windshield I can safely say that if I wasn't wearing my seatbelt I would have been ejected with it :ph34r:

NefCanuck