FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: I Smell Burning!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I was driving down some back roads today testing out my new Gtech pro and during the run it smelt like something was burning. Now this only happens when I rev up above 5,000 and my current mods are roush exhaust, FS cool air and wires. If anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Mike
Was it a sweet smell of burning?...............coolant leak
Was it a rubber smell of burning?.............
Testing the G-tech....Hmmm........ Clutch burning?
bluetoy,Sep 26 2006, 07:16 AM Wrote:Testing the G-tech....Hmmm........ Clutch burning?
[right][snapback]208495[/snapback][/right]

After installing one of these, on a car that's running fine, a cluth is all I could assume too... unless the unit is faulty and you 'think' it's just burning over 5k. :unsure:

Hopefully it's a working unit, $100 shipped was a great deal you got on it!
Could you have gotten oil on the motor somewhere?

Could just be burning off.
bluetoy,Sep 26 2006, 07:16 AM Wrote:Testing the G-tech....Hmmm........ Clutch burning?
[right][snapback]208495[/snapback][/right]
That's what I would have guessed.
Well I went back out and topped out third and no burning smell. But as soon as I shifted there it was. Is this a sign that the clutch needs to be replaced? The clutch still shifts great no prob, and I am topped up on fluid.
Mike Rudat,Sep 26 2006, 10:08 AM Wrote:... and I am topped up on fluid.
[right][snapback]208523[/snapback][/right]
Are you powershifting an automatic?
No, its a 5 speed. I meant the brake/clutch fluid.
Could be your clutch, do you feel like the clutch is slipping or anything? Like your not getting "all" the power to the ground?
No everything seems fine with it, I have no drivability issues at all, just the smell.
Mike Rudat,Sep 26 2006, 12:46 PM Wrote:No everything seems fine with it, I have no drivability issues at all, just the smell.
[right][snapback]208541[/snapback][/right]

Did you always drive your car like this? Or just when doing tests with the gtech?
I was pushing her just for the test. I'm usually very nice to her B) , there are of course those times you know.
Mike Rudat,Sep 27 2006, 10:58 AM Wrote:I was pushing her just for the test. I'm usually very nice to her B) , there are of course those times you know.
[right][snapback]208758[/snapback][/right]

Theres your answer. Its your clutch, normal smell for when your beating on it. Learn how to shift better and that smell shouldnt be as bad. :P
Thanks for the solution
I was going to say spontaneously-combusting engine dirt. I get the same sort of smell when pushing it up a 7% grade for a mile or so :)

It's normal when they heat up like that and your block is dirty.

:ph34r: - that has to be my most wrong-sounding reply ever.
if it smells kindof like wood burning it might be you stock CAt. Especially if you are running the motor at 5000rpm. Do that too many times like when doing burnouts that could cause that