FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Ford To Close F-150 Pickup Plant In 2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ford to Close F-150 Pickup Plant in 2007
Daily Auto Insider
September 23 2006

Ford will close its Norfolk, Virginia, Assembly Plant in the third quarter of 2007, The Associated Press reported, citing a letter sent to employees at the plant.

Last month, Ford cut the plant, which builds F-150 pickup trucks, back to one shift for only six weeks through the end of the year. The plant originally had been scheduled to close in 2008.

Sales of F-series trucks, including the F-150, have slumped by more than 12 percent this year, the story said.

And so they should...no need for trucks that big unless you own a business. You can pull a pleasurecraft with a smaller truck no problem. You see the difference in size between a 1980's F-150 until now? Scary...

Though I think the F-150 is awesome, and has the best interior, like I said, status grabbing trucks aren't in demand anymore...
Drivesthebeast,Sep 23 2006, 04:47 PM Wrote:Though I think the F-150 is awesome, and has the best interior, like I said, status grabbing trucks aren't in demand anymore...
[right][snapback]208222[/snapback][/right]

Hmmm ... the demand may be weakening a bit ... but the F-150 continues to be very, very popular.

For example ... demand for the F-Series in August of this year was 30% greater than last year - despite the year-over-year increase in fuel prices.

F-Series was the #1 selling vehicle in Canada, car or truck, in July
F-Series was the #1 selling vehicle in Canada, car or truck, in August
F-Series is the #1 selling vehicle in Canada so far this year -- outselling everything including Civic

I do think that demand will continue to soften a bit, especially when Toyota introduces its all new Tundra ... but F-Series IMO will continue to be one of the top selling vehicles in this country for quite some time.

The problem Ford has with the F-150 isn't the demand ... the problem is excess capacity, and that's what they're fixing with the plant closure.
I wish the Explorer would look as good as the F150 :(

I would love to get one, but i dont need a pick up. and i dont like the look of the new explorers.
mo_focus,Sep 23 2006, 11:12 PM Wrote:I wish the Explorer would look as good as the F150 :(

I would love to get one, but i dont need a pick up. and i dont like the look of the new explorers.
[right][snapback]208255[/snapback][/right]
Wait till you see the Edge. A little smaller, but much more refined.
meford4u,Sep 23 2006, 11:15 PM Wrote:
mo_focus,Sep 23 2006, 11:12 PM Wrote:I wish the Explorer would look as good as the F150 :(

[right][snapback]208255[/snapback][/right]
Wait till you see the Edge. A little smaller, but much more refined.
[right][snapback]208256[/snapback][/right]

The Edge is a sweet looking truck/suv. Wish I could afford one.
Feel bad for the employees, but on the other hand Good! too many trucks/suvs on the roads.....