FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: What Cell Phone Should I Buy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want a phone that has an mp3 player and a camera... I know there are some out there now reaching 2.0 MegaPixels and so on.... I'm leaning towards a non flip phone because my current one (LG 5450) is starting to get messed up on the outer screen.. the text is right now actually reversed like reading it in a mirror!! I also hate the cheesy pop-up antenna

I am with Telus right now... I like the service.. its been good so far (3years). They seem to have a good deal on phones when renewing the contract, but I'm not sure what phone i want to get... Are the slider phones any good?? Or will they start to crap out because of the slide feature like my flip is doing?

Any comments appreciated

-Rich
If you like Telus, and want to stick with the company, consider signing up for a new contract. Although they give credit to purchase a new phone when your existing contract is up, they normally only give you enough credit to upgrade to the "bottom of the line" phone (which is still probably of higher quality than the one you got when you originally signed). However, if you sign a new contract, they will give you an even better phone, and it's normally free if you sign for 2+ years. I believe you can also ask to keep the same number. As well, the new rate plans they have for new contract are a crazy good deal. 30$ per month gets you unlimited incoming calls, 150 daytime, unlimited evening and weekends, and 150 long distance. That plan is not available to existing or renewing plans.

Check it out as a possibility.
what plan do they call that?
I'm wondering if I would get a better deal switching companies too... I like some of the other phones that Telus doesn't offer (SLVR, Sony W810i). I just don't know if I want to switch companies

The best advise I can give you is STAY THE H**L AWAY FROM AN LG PHONE. They are constantly haveing processor issues with our military based ones. I fix at least 5 of these a week. All for either a memory lockout or the actual processor goes belly up. They aren't put to their max usable abilities or anything, THERE JUSR CRAP (LG= lousy garbage)

I will swear by either a NOKIA or SAMSUNG......we got these in the military and I have yet to fix one that hasen't been broken form anything but the users abouse or neglect. I got a samsung for my personal use and a NOKIA for work and they 1yr(samsung) and 7 yrs old(Nokia)

As for plans they depend on each user and their preferences and use rate....But do your homework (extensively) before you buy any phone or plan.

GOOD LUCK
Well my LG has its issues and I probably will go with better than that next round... I had two nokias in the past... a 5190 to start and a 3360. The 3360 died one day and it won't start up anymore.. I even bought and charged a new battery for it and nothing still. It was a crappy phone for quality. We had one for work as well and it was like talking in a tunnel just like mine was. So I am skeptical to get a Nokia now. They are very user friendly though.
^^i had an LG for 2.5 years....it served me good....no problems......i have RaZr now its starting to act up....some dust got under the screen in the first 2 weeks...so you can't see sh$%..garbage
my LG hasn't been too bad... The outer screen has been acting up for a few months now... and sometimes the calculater causes the phone to restart after opening it and hitting one button
None. Cell phones are useless, unless you go pay-as-you-go and you juice it up as needed. I prefer not being found. :)
Crazirich,Sep 22 2006, 11:30 AM Wrote:I want a phone that has an mp3 player and a camera... I know there are some out there now reaching 2.0 MegaPixels and so on....  I'm leaning towards a non flip phone because my current one (LG 5450) is starting to get messed up on the outer screen.. the text is right now actually reversed like reading it in a mirror!!  I also hate the cheesy pop-up antenna

I am with Telus right now... I like the service.. its been good so far (3years).  They seem to have a good deal on phones when renewing the contract, but I'm not sure what phone i want to get...  Are the slider phones any good??  Or will they start to crap out because of the slide feature like my flip is doing?
[right][snapback]208080[/snapback][/right]

Funny you should mention coming to the end of your contract and Telus and and LG 5450 with a wonky outer screen, 'cause I'm right there with you (My contract is up in December)

From what I've been told on an anecdotal basis, Telus is the company you want to stay with (Fewer dropped calls, better CS) I've been with Telus since '98, three different phones over that time period and no real issues with any of them (Until this LG 5450)

I have the option of switching to Bell on a hella cheap plan for OPSEU members @ $20/m with almost everything I get with Telus at $48/m (free evenings after 6pm and weekend calling) except detailed billing and upgraded VM) but I'm just not convinced that I'll "save" anything when I'm constantly dealing with dropped calls and lousy connections.

As to which new phone from the Telus stable you should be looking at, decide your bneeds first and then you can narrow the field of choices down (IIRC instead of the $150 "free" phone you can get a $150 credit twoards anything higher priced) I'll be looking at one that will play MP3's and will play them when the phone rings for particular numbers (I've been able to hack the LG 5450 to do it, but frankly I would like "offical" support for that and better sound quality)

NefCanuck
Crazirich,Sep 22 2006, 11:17 AM Wrote:what plan do they call that?
[right][snapback]208092[/snapback][/right]

Any of the Telus plans that feature unlimited incoming calls are called the 'Talk to me" plans. I've been on one for a few years now... and unlimited incoming is the best thing ever. All I have to do is call out and get the person to call me back on my cell...

anyways, the link to the talk to me 30 plan is

http://www.telusmobility.com/on/plans/pc...o_me.shtml

And incidentaly, they've got some great phones that they give out free (or small $$) with a new contract.

I've done the 'starting the contract over' thing for years, and its in everyones best interest to just do that.

Good luck in your search :)
yeah the phones the give out on renewal are the same offer to newbies... that makes me (long time customer) feel appreciated. They should have a better offer to already customers
also the phones are more basic and entry model phones same or less than what I have... that is the free ones... You have to pay more for the better ones... Its always a catch or a rip off
consider looking on howardforums.com in there buy/sell section and buy the phone yourself .. you can buy pretty much any phone then have it unlocked (should it need to be) to work on any network.

also, this way you aren't locked into a contract with any one provider and can switch at anytime

The nokia 6265i phones are really nice .. and have the 2mp camera that your after
I'm just worried about the slider feature... and to unlock them how does that work ? Do i then buy a pay as you go at any company... can i retail my current number? I've never done this...
Crazirich,Sep 22 2006, 08:02 PM Wrote:yeah the phones the give out on renewal are the same offer to newbies... that makes me (long time customer) feel appreciated.  They should have a better offer to already customers
[right][snapback]208138[/snapback][/right]

yeap I have been down that road before with Rogers. They basically were giving new customers a much better deal than their long term good standing users. Oh well.

and as for a phone choice I put my vote up for:

[Image: ipaq.6500.phone.sm.jpg]

:)
NikiterZTS,Sep 22 2006, 12:42 PM Wrote:^^i had an LG for 2.5 years....it served me good....no problems......i have RaZr now its starting to act up....some dust got under the screen in the first 2 weeks...so you can't see sh$%..garbage
[right][snapback]208105[/snapback][/right]

Send it over my way.. The new and improved Razr V3 Lenses arent available from Motorola yet.. but I can easily clean up the dust under it for you as best as possible and do it under warranty (free).

As for Crazyrich,

If you like your number and your current Price Plan, STAY with Telus. No point in leaving them. As for L.G. They make terrible phones, just like pigeon1, I usually service 50 LG Phones per week. They are becoming the next Siemens. They lose signal quite frequently, I see lots of manufacturing problems with the hardware too, And this is not just the GSM variants, I see this with the CDMA models too. I've heard good things about the Telus Razr V3C, the Nokia 6265i.

Hope This Helps.
I recently replaced my LG fast tap (6190) with the new Nokia 6265i... and I miss my LG's clear sound over this Nokia 'toy'. Ah well, Telus seems to offer the best overall!
I've been looking at the Nokia 6265i for awhile now, but i keep having the thought that with the large screen on the outside, i'm bound to break the screen, which i'm not crazy about. But it does have the 2.0mp camera and the mp3 player that can use the memory cards for extra memory.
euro_zx5,Sep 22 2006, 08:52 PM Wrote:I recently replaced my LG fast tap (6190) with the new Nokia 6265i... and I miss my LG's clear sound over this Nokia 'toy'. Ah well, Telus seems to offer the best overall!
[right][snapback]208155[/snapback][/right]

HA.. this what I feared... I don't like the sound of this.... all nokia's that i have had or used have bad clarity... I like the phone I have short of it buggering up a bit..

I'm not afraid of large screens, just movable parts like flip and slide phones... thats why I'm looking at "candy bar" type. Its what I've always had before my LG.

I like the look and fun features of the 6265i, but it seems like the practical uses will bite (clarity etc)

[Image: nokia_6265i_handset_closed.gif] [Image: nokia_6265i_handset_open.gif]
Pages: 1 2