FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Joint Apprenticeship Council
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been looking on the JAC site for some time to get into an electrical apprenticeship since the IT field is pissing me off to no end and I can't find a job because I'm not from here.

SO, they finally posted openings, and I need sponsorship from a "Low-Rise Local Union 353 Contractor"

Does anyone happen to know one who would put their neck out for me to get into this?

Still a couple more hurdles to overcome with this though, so I don't even know if it's going to pan out.

I also need my education assessed to make sure it is up to Canadian standards? WTF. Another $180 grab, just when I thought I was done paying to live here. I tried everything to have them just let it go, and they don't even care that I've graduated from college, they just want to make sure my 12th grade grades are good enough. Retarded. I sort of feel insulted in a way as well, but I guess I have to suck it up and deal.

Anywho, if anyone can give me a hand or point me to someone, I'd really appreciate it.
My father and brother in law are electricians out of the local in St. Catharines. Father in law is now retired but has a tonne of contacts there.

He asks every once in a while if I know anyone interested in an apprenticeship.

Wanna move to St. Catharines area?

If so, I'll send him an email and see if we can't get the ball rolling.
If you could shoot him a message, I'd be interested. Would be pretty ideal as I'd be closer to home to visit and stuff. Not to mention cheaper taxes, houses, insurance, and everything else I don't like about the GTA. And wifey isn't opposed to the idea either, so its all good.
i here you man

i graduated in April as a mechanical engendering technician and its impossible to find work at least in my field.
Jmountney1,Oct 5 2009, 07:24 PM Wrote:i graduated in April as a mechanical engendering technician and its impossible to find work at least in my field.
[right][snapback]295524[/snapback][/right]

Mechanical engendering technician ??

Main Entry: en·gen·der
Pronunciation: \in-ˈjen-dər, en-\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): en·gen·dered; en·gen·der·ing \-d(ə-)riŋ\
Etymology: Middle English engendren, from Anglo-French engendrer, from Latin ingenerare, from in- + generare to generate
Date: 14th century
transitive verb
1 : beget, procreate
2 : to cause to exist or to develop : produce <policies that have engendered controversy>
intransitive verb
: to assume form : originate

Is that a job where you help people procreate? Sounds like p0rn to me!! :lol:
i good at math not spelling lol

After talking to 5 electricians, I found one who is in the union. Unfortunately, work is slow, and he already has two apprentices (2nd year and 5th year). He said he would do what he could for me, such as find another electrician who wants to take on an apprentice. Not bad considering it was a cold call to a complete stranger, from a complete stranger. But still looking for more contacts. He has my resume and wants to meet with me, so thats a good sign.
Father in law said that things are slow in Niagara too. But, two things. First, you need to live in the area 1 year before they wil even look at you. Second, apprentices are in demand because of there skills and lower wage rate for companies.
So let me know if your moving.
Can't move unless I have a reason. Especially if I have to be there a year before they show interest. If I were 18, I'd be all over it. But now, I can't make those kinds of moves for a "come see me in a year and we'll see". If I got an interview and they wanted to hire me, then I'd be all over it.

Called a few more people today, waiting on a response. Hopefully I hear something soon.
look into elevator trade...... People are getting lazier every day and the pay is ok but being in NY I believe they are a little slow but worth the phone call for ya