FocusCanada Forums

Full Version: Toyota Poised To Pass Gm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Toyota Poised to Pass GM as World's Number One Automaker
The Daily Auto Insider
Thursday, September 21, 2006
September 2006

Toyota said it was targeting global sales of 9.8 million vehicles in 2008, which would pull it past General Motors to become the world's biggest automaker in terms of sales, The Wall Street Journal reported. GM sold 9.2 million vehicles in 2005. This year, Toyota expects to produce 8.85 million vehicles worldwide.

Japan's biggest automaker also forecast that its net income for the half-year period to Sept. 30 would jump 31.6% from its original forecast to ¥500 billion ($4.3 billion). In the same period a year earlier, the company posted a net profit of ¥283.6 billion.

toyota sux :lol:
crazikev,Sep 21 2006, 04:34 PM Wrote:toyota sux :lol:
[right][snapback]207969[/snapback][/right]

Ahhh ... buy some equity and you'll feel a lot different.

TM on NYSE .... 108.39 USD today (up from about $50 in 2001) ... and it'll double again in another 5 years.
compaired to GM stock that at about $20 a share.
FocusGuy7476,Sep 21 2006, 05:22 PM Wrote:compaired to GM stock that at about $20 a share.
[right][snapback]207973[/snapback][/right]
... and Ford's at less than 8 bucks.

But share value is somewhat deceiving without knowing how many shares are outstanding.

Market capitalization (a.k.a. market cap) is a better measure of relative financial strength ... for example:

Ford = $14.05 billion
GM = $17.49 billion
Toyota = $$118.00 billion

That's right - Toyota's market cap is approaching 4 times that of Ford and GM combined -- I for one wouldn't bet against Toyota basically achieving any goal is sets for itself - and it's no secret they want to the be the number one auto manufacturer in the world.
Toyota can E.A.D....

And seeing as Ford and GM are so cheap, maybe it's worthwhile to buy like $100 investment in both, in case they DO make a huge turnaround and make a little cash...
Toyota is 'passing' GM, but in the same sense, they're pulling GM up with them, aren't they?! No big news in my eyes, just history repeating itself... again, and again.

I've gotta get myself that plate frame I saw on a Chrysler a few weeks ago, it said: "Buy Domestic" ...in big bold lettering. Sad where our economy is headed, and seeing Toyota building plants everywhere, the NA companies better buy them all out!
I've seen a couple of F150 or Silverado HD's up here with window stickers in the back window that read "My lugnuts have more torque than your Honda!" :lol:

Love that!